Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 18:21   #1426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Science & Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Speed at which world’s glaciers are melting has doubled in 20 years
  • On average glaciers lost 4% of their volume over 20 years
  • Between 2000 and 2019, they lost 267 gigatonnes (Gt) of ice per year, equivalent to 21% of sea-level rise
  • This was 47% higher than the melting ice sheet in Greenland and more than twice that from the ice sheet in Antarctica
  • As a cause of sea-level rise, glacier loss was second only to thermal expansion
  • The study uses historical Nasa satellite data going back 20 years and covering 99.9% of the world’s glaciers
The lead author, Romain Hugonnet, of the University of Toulouse, said the data was an urgent warning. “A doubling of the thinning rates in 20 years for glaciers outside Greenland and Antarctica tells us we need to change the way we live. We need to act now,” he said. “It can be difficult to get the public to understand why glaciers are important because they seem so remote, but they affect many things in the global water cycle including regional hydrology, and by changing too rapidly, can lead to the alteration or collapse of downstream ecosystems.”

The paper was published in Nature
That's why glaciers in my state as well as Yellowstone and glacier Park are growing
Old 28-04-2021, 18:53   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That's why glaciers in my state as well as Yellowstone and glacier Park are growing

if you say so
Old 28-04-2021, 18:57   #1428

Quote:
Yellowstone National Park currently has no glaciers.

Grinnell Glacier, in Glacier National Park, Montana, is one of its largest.

And the glaciers on Mt. Rainier, in Washington, aren't doing so well either.

Old 28-04-2021, 20:58   #1429
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Yellowstone National Park currently has no glaciers.

Grinnell Glacier, in Glacier National Park, Montana, is one of its largest.

And the glaciers on Mt. Rainier, in Washington, aren't doing so well either.

Growing again and take a look at the glaciers on Mt St Helen's
https://youtu.be/NqcjF5C03DI

Didn't say every glacier but many are growing and will continue to grow as we enter the grand solar minimum as predicted by Dr Zharkova in 2015and verified this year by AI computers
Old 29-04-2021, 02:29   #1430
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Although a very few isolated glaciers, somewhere, might be growing slightly, this is Not True, according to the scientists, who study and monitor glaciers.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey [USGS 1] and the National Park Service [NPS 2] the glaciers of Glacier National Park [GNP], like most glaciers worldwide, are melting, as long-term average temperatures increase.

Extensive measurements of GNP’s glaciers were made in 1966, 1998, 2005, and 2015. Furthermore, Sperry Glacier is monitored in size and volume, twice a year. The cumulative dataset, spanning 50 years of glacier monitoring, was released in 2017, and is freely available to the public. [3]

However, a 2017 USGS report [4] suggests that, as glaciers retreat upward in elevation, they become more resistant to melting. The residual parts of the glaciers are higher, more shaded, and receive more snow deposition from avalanches, and windblown snow. Because of these factors, these glacier remnants appear more capable of withstanding higher temperatures, compared to the thinner, lower-elevation parts of the glaciers that underwent rapid melt.

[1] USGS ➥ https://www.usgs.gov/centers/norock/...center_objects

[2] NPS ➥ https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/natur...ate-change.htm

[3] USGS ➥ https://www.usgs.gov/data-tools/area...-fnf-including

[4] USGS ➥ https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/...b01ccd54f9f542

[5] NOAA ➥ https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...r-mass-balance

Old 29-04-2021, 04:09   #1431

Quote:
No, the glacier on Mt St. Helens was not growing; it was moving in response to the growing lava dome in the crater. From the video caption:
USGS
http://gallery.usgs.gov/videos/593​

From 2005 to 2010, the U.S. Geological Survey-Cascades Volcano Observatory operated a remote camera on the northwest flank of Mount St. Helens. Looking into the crater, the camera captured hourly photographs of volcanic dome growth during the 2004-2008 eruption. The station also captured the advance of the west arm of Crater Glacier as it moved northeast around the 1980-1986 and 2004-2008 lava domes, joined with the east arm of the glacier, and pushed northward onto the crater floor. The time-lapse sequence links individual photographs to produce a video of the movement of Crater Glacier, showing the glacier's remarkable run-away response to volcanic dome growth.
Quote:
Didn't say every glacier but many are growing and will continue to grow as we enter the grand solar minimum as predicted by Dr Zharkova in 2015and verified this year by AI computers
Do you get your facts from the Keisterville Encyclopedia?

Again, no, very few glaciers are growing. The Guardian article I referenced, above, has a chart showing glacial growth and decline worldwide. Very few are growing. Most are declining.
Old 29-04-2021, 05:02   #1432
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The world's glaciers are melting even faster than before
A new study is using millions of satellite images to generate a clearer picture, than ever before, of the fate of the world's glaciers.
The amount of ice, that the study says is melting away each year, is 267 billion tonnes a year.
Those glaciers are getting smaller, faster; with those in western North America [newhaul’s State/region] thinning more quickly than almost any others in the world*. The pace is picking up, especially in North America, where glaciers are melting four times faster now, than they were 20 years ago. Half the world's glacial loss is coming from the United States and Canada.
The annual melt rate,from 2015 to 2019, is 71 billion more tonnes a year, than it was from 2000 to 2004. Global thinning rates, different than volume of water lost, doubled in the last 20 years.
Almost all the world's glaciers are melting, even ones in Tibet, that used to be stable, the study found. Except for a few in Iceland and Scandinavia, that are fed by increased precipitation, the melt rates are accelerating around the world.
The study is the first to use this 3D satellite imagery, to examine all of Earth's glaciers not connected to ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctic. Past studies either only used a fraction of the glaciers, or estimated the loss of Earth's glaciers, using gravity measurements from orbit. Those gravity readings have large margins of error, and aren't as useful.

“Accelerated global glacier mass loss in the early twenty-first century” ~ by Romain Hugonnet et al
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03436-z

News report ➥ https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ew-study-finds

* These findings are disputed, by a trucker, in the PNW. He even has photographs.

Old 29-04-2021, 07:42   #1433

Quote:

Newhaul, I wish you posted stock tips. We'd make a killing by going in the opposite direction.
Old 29-04-2021, 07:51   #1434
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Newhaul, I wish you posted stock tips. We'd make a killing by going in the opposite direction.
Funny you mentioned stocks mine are doing great I'm up by almost 70% in the last year . With a 12% ROI in dividends . So please PM and I will let you know parts of my portfolio.
Old 30-04-2021, 06:29   #1435

Boat: Nauticat 43

Submarine volcano eruptions source of rapid hydrothermal discharges

A study reports on a model developed for deep ocean volcanic eruptions. “The vast majority of Earth’s volcanism occurs underwater in the deep oceans at mid-ocean [back-arc] ridges and seamounts (>500 m deep).., syn-eruptive plumes in non-rift settings are typically less energetic…Deep-marine volcanism drives Earth’s most energetic transfers of heat and mass between the crust and the oceans. While magmatic activity on the seafloor has been correlated with the occurrence of colossal enigmatic plumes of hydrothermal fluid known as megaplumes, little is known of the primary source and intensity of the energy release associated with seafloor volcanism.” There can be “massive (10–150 km3) ephemeral emissions of hydrothermal fluid known as “megaplumes” (or large-volume “event plumes”)…The temporal-spatial correlation between several observed megaplumes and active/recent seafloor volcanism provides circumstantial evidence for a direct causal relationship between megaplume generation and eruptive activity…Our results thus support a direct causal link between active lava effusion, megaplume generation and the km-scale dispersal of tephra in the oceans…[We] estimate the duration of this activity, and therefore the probable timescale over which the tephra bearing plume was formed, to be [tau] τ ~ 10–20 h…The energy flux at the plume source required to drive the dispersal is difficult to attain by purely volcanogenic means [i.e. erupted magma], and likely requires an additional input of heat, potentially from rapid evacuations of hot hydrothermal fluids triggered by dyke intrusion [into the uppermost crust]… The transfer of heat energy, either from inputted hot fluid or heating by lava, produces plume fluid through the process of entrainment of ambient seawater caused by the turbulent upwelling of the plume…Although the period of plume formation is somewhat uncertain, maintaining the energy flux necessary to disperse the tephra ( ~1–2 TW) [a terawatt, TW, is a trillion watts] over any reasonable eruptive period (hours to days) would produce a plume with physical characteristics within the range of observed megaplumes” (by way of comparison, the United States electricity consumption in 2020 was about 3.8 TWh) “Maintaining this heat flux for a period of hours would equate to a total energy release consistent with the observed heat contents of megaplumes (1016–1017 Joules)…In view of the ubiquity of submarine tephra deposits, our results demonstrate that intervals of rapid hydrothermal discharge are likely commonplace during deep-ocean volcanism.”

The results of this study suggest climate alarmist models will have to be modified now to significantly lower anthropogenic contributions to ocean warming.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:05   #1436

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
The results of this study suggest climate alarmist models will have to be modified now to significantly lower anthropogenic contributions to ocean warming.

Please show the source for this suggestion. I can't find any reference to it anywhere, but maybe I missed it.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:31   #1437
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Please show the source for this suggestion. I can't find any reference to it anywhere, but maybe I missed it.
Mike this is what I have been saying for years .

https://www.nature.com/articles/s414...ntent=deeplink

Old 30-04-2021, 07:40   #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Link between cardiac arrests and COVID-19
A new study [1], published this month, collected data from 50 US cities, as well as from major cities in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, New Zealand and Australia. The study showed that rises in out-of-hospital cardiac arrests were linked to rising COVID cases.
Normally, a 10 percent increase in cardiac arrests would be a cause for concern.
But during last spring in the US, two-thirds of US cities in the study saw increases between 20 and 50 percent.
In cities particularly hit hard, the rate doubled. New York’s rates went up on average 250 percent in April, and on a single day [April 6] New York’s rate of cardiac arrests was 10 times the rate from the previous year.
Scientists noticed that both the COVID cases, and cardiac arrests, increased at a similar rate. Then, as cases dropped over the summer, so too did the number of cardiac arrests. In the cities relatively untouched by COVID in the spring, the rate of cardiac arrests had remained normal. But, in the summer, as epicentres shifted, those cities saw their COVID rates surge, and so too did their rates of cardiac arrests.
Just as some Covid patients develop a cough or fever, or lose their sense of taste and smell, others may suffer a cardiac arrest.

Since many of those who had cardiac arrests were not counted among COVID deaths, the data could potentially help to calculate a more accurate death toll.
The authors, of the study, estimate that the death toll from COVID could increase by 10 or 15 percent globally, if excess cardiac arrests are included.
It shows how grossly underestimated the death rate from COVID-19 truly is.

This appears to be one more reason to examine "excess deaths", as a good measure of Covid-19 mortality.

[1] “The relationship of large city out-of-hospital cardiac arrests and the prevalence of COVID-19" ~ by Kevin E. McVaney et al
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/e...X/fulltext#%20
My daughter in Law has been warning me about the link between covid and damage to the heart , she's cardio technician at kings in London , one side of the heart is being attacked by the virus ,it was first spotted last year
Old 30-04-2021, 07:42   #1439

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike this is what I have been saying for years .

https://www.nature.com/articles/s414...ntent=deeplink

OK, but I'm asking for research references. I didn't find it in the paper, not in any other articles or research I could find.

Not saying either way. But the claim made about "significantly lowering anthropogenic contributions to ocean warming" requires support. It might be there, I just can't find it.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:46   #1440
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK, but I'm asking for research references. I didn't find it in the paper, not in any other articles or research I could find.

Not saying either way. But the claim made about "significantly lowering anthropogenic contributions to ocean warming" requires support. It might be there, I just can't find it.
Think about it . If volcanic activity is responsible for the oceanic heating it is not man doing it so not anthropogenic activity.

Tags
enc