Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: SHTF/WROL Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Get a big anchor, a bigger gun and become a pirate? Have I missed anything?
Yes, you need a ferro cement boat, because you won't be doing any repairs for a while.

Pete
Old 10-04-2011, 08:32   #257

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Have a long way to go to reach the 240+ replys from the last time around. We have a couple Polar class ice breakers stationed in the area, I'm thinking they might make a good refuge for someone. We'll just have to take our own chances on our little island/boat, my crews not discipined enough for anything more complex. We went out for the last week and since the fortune tellers were fortelling a big water disaster, we filled the larder so we're a little more prepared. I also keep the water tanks full.
We also have a spare boat if anyone wants to form a floatilla.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:32   #258

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Forget Waterworld... That was a case where the land was all gone, and it was just a movie!

The more overpopulated, over consumed & polluted the world becomes, and when climate change leads to rising oceans... displacing entire coastal populations, the more squirrelly the world situation is likely to become.

Boats are not the answer. They are inherently dependent on coastal landfalls for re-supply of everything, they are a sitting duck out in the anchorage, and likely to be among the first victims of an ANGRY displaced population! You can't just stay at sea, and who would want too?

Living off of the "bounty of the sea" would not be possible either, because at that point, what little is left, is likely to be TOXIC.

If anarchy was to truly take over world wide, your best hope would be to die soon... you would NOT want to stick around.

PREVENTION, however, makes a lot of sense!

S*** REALLY hitting the fan "MAY" still be preventable, but it's not likely to be long term survivable if & when it does. Our boats will not save us then...

Mark
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

After reading about the four older gents crossing the Atlantic on their raft, laughing in the face of it, I think therein lies the solution. Make a raft out of big plastic pipes, put a shack on it and float around laughing in the face of death!

Huck and Jim 'till the end!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:53   #260

re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
You forgot a place to run off to that is out of harms way. Seems to me if there is a crisis that topples the governments and economies of the world then where will you go to get out of the way of it.
Middle of the pacific sailing in circles? I'm thinking a remote island somewhere. Oooops there aren't any they're all gone.
I'm thinking the middle of the ocean for a while...
Don't want to be the main course on some recently un-provisioned island
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00   #261

Me and my evil black rifle(s) will just anchor in the middle of the river for a while and see which way the wind blows.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09   #262

Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

I think boats are a great way/place to escape.
They are by default ready.
Red-necks are heading for the hills with water systems, alternative energy systems, 12v systems. Food storage, defensive systems, etc, etc.
Boats already have all that by default (defensive by distance).
We are accustomed to being off the grid for long periods. Using it maintaining it etc.
And can be for much longer if floating around in the more tranquil center of the "highs".
If there are riots and such when 100 million Americans cannot procure ring-dings with food stamps.
I would prefer to be on my boat heading off-shore- out of rifle range.
Nothing is perfect -can get killed by txting idiot on the freeway at anytime.
Why does everything have to be toxic? Fish may be fine - and begin to repopulate if the massive fishing fleets are grounded...
Everyone has to go to town for supplies, so a boat is no different. But can pick and chose better from town to Continent.
Maybe now is the time to go cruising - there was a right time to leave Nazi Germany too.
Australia, New Zealand, South Georgia, Newfoundland, Alaska are nice too...
Got plenty of fishing gear. What is the optimum size of a baby seal club?
Old 10-04-2011, 16:33   #263

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight

Well, Noah did just fine on a boat, in the SHTF situation, and God gave him the idea.

I'll stay with my boat, but I'm not saying where it is, or where I might go.
Old 10-04-2011, 17:07   #264
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
Well, Noah did just fine on a boat, in the SHTF situation, and God gave him the idea.

I'll stay with my boat, but I'm not saying where it is, or where I might go.
Given the almost 1.4 million animal species on the planet (I counted), with 2 of each I guess the S was really HTF. Too bad about the 370,00 know species of plants though; they probably could have used some of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 18:20   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
lets work on that.
Step one must have a catamaran
Step two - a bible
Step three - plenty of ammo for all the guns
you forgot the nubile virgins to repopulate the planet.......and look after me in my old age as well...... some things i will only be able to do when flat on my back.......
Old 10-04-2011, 18:52   #266

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Without getting into the political, spiritual, or whatever belief system you have that may have brought you to your decision, has anyone here made the decision to buy a boat based on the possibility that our society may be headed down the tubes? Or perhaps you have outfitted your boat for a "just in case" scenario?

We always keep several hundred pounds of dried and canned goods aboard. Anyone else do this?

Tom
Kevin Costner chose a trimaran in Waterworld, though it was designed and built by Lagoon catamarans.

Worked pretty well until Dennis Hopper shot it up!

I think he had a tomato plant growing on board.
Old 10-04-2011, 20:12   #267

In a shtf scenario people always think that means it is the end of the world, it wouldn’t necessarily happen that way....If the Euro or the USD collapses it would be tough for the people who use those now worthless currencies to buy anything from anyone....barter would have to suffice until the "New" currency is implemented...in the meantime life would be very hard for those without backup food and other supplies because new supplies would not be coming until months after we have a new currency in place and people trusted in its value (my estimate 6 -24 months of pain) Crime would be rampant and the cities might get really crazy with the have-nots stealing from the haves. We know from what happened with Katrina that the LEO’s were a good part of the problems, they were certainly not the protectors we thought they would be……It doesn’t sound like much fun to me.
Why not sail away to areas that are more stable?
What happens in third world countries that never did rely on foreign aid or tourism?
Nothing really changed for them except the loss of imports and exports…the poor are still poor and I can’t see too many reasons for them to start robbing strangers like me, their life hasn’t changed much……our lives did……
Local food and supplies are still available as long as you have a currency that they would accept…. So you can be prepared with a currency that is universal in nature and accepted everywhere…. G and S
I think that the biggest risk to the western world is currency collapse….surely we can live thru that….Nuclear war, asteroids, alien invasions or Zombies are another thing……
Old 10-04-2011, 20:48   #268

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Please let it be zombies, they move slow. A good whack with a shovel and down they go, too. Don't even have to waste my ammo on them.

I've got the off-grid cabin in the woods.

I've got the boat.

Trying to cover all the bases, but I don't have a stash of gold. Plenty of guns and ammo, though.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17   #269
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70AMX View Post
In a shtf scenario people always think that means it is the end of the world, it wouldn’t necessarily happen that way....If the Euro or the USD collapses it would be tough for the people who use those now worthless currencies to buy anything from anyone....barter would have to suffice until the "New" currency is implemented...in the meantime life would be very hard for those without backup food and other supplies because new supplies would not be coming until months after we have a new currency in place and people trusted in its value (my estimate 6 -24 months of pain)
My guess is that the Euro or USD will never collapse, just might be worth very little. Simply changing the name of a currency won't fix the underlying economic problems. Nor will defaulting on the debts.

What will likely happen is that as the populace gets poorer they accept that as the new norm. and carry on voting for leaders who make them poorer and whose pitch is "not enough to go around". Humans as groups can be slowwwww learners

Quote:
Why not sail away to areas that are more stable?
What happens in third world countries that never did rely on foreign aid or tourism?
Nothing really changed for them except the loss of imports and exports…the poor are still poor and I can’t see too many reasons for them to start robbing strangers like me, their life hasn’t changed much……our lives did……
I think you may have over estimated the inherent freindliness of the natives

Quote:
Zombies are another thing……
Just started watching a (US) Zombie TV series - I think it might be a documentary, or if not a sure sign that the US Govt knows something and is simply forewarning people. the people who can read the signs.....

BTW apparently Zombies are also attracted by noise. I didn't know that
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28   #270
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SHTF/WROL Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysiren View Post
Does anyone have ideas about living on a sailboat in a SHTF/WROL situation?
Am in training with an Indian Guru/Mystic to get my body to survive healthily on a 1/4 litre of water and Ozone diet....
I don't eat fish...
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat