Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 19:25   #1171
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok consider this and I found it to be censured everywhere but here .
https://www.reddit.com/r/climateskep.../?ref=readnext
Read it then tell me why they would publish and then censure it .
Here's a few possibilities. Maybe it was this:

“Only people who don’t understand science take the 97% statistic seriously,” he said. “Survey results depend on who you ask, who answers and how the questions are worded. In any case, science is not a democracy. Even if 100% of scientists believe something, one person with good evidence can still be right.”

Then again, it could have been this:

“The real problem is funding from funding agencies like the National Science Foundation because these proposals have to undergo review by people in a community that ostracizes us,” he said, because of his non-conventional viewpoint.

Or this?

"Any scientist who rejects the UN’s IPCC report, as he does, will have trouble finding work, receiving research grants or publishing, he said."


These last words were certainly prophetic. But then it could have just been that, while this scientist believes there is some warming effect from CO2, his projections are lower than the IPCC and he believes the effects of the sun have been largely ignored. So why would anyone want to hear from a guy like that?

Well, apparently not desmogblog, even though it acknowledges that

"[a]lthough he is skeptical of man-made climate change, he stresses that there are a “dozen good reasons why we should strive to burn less fossil fuels.” His two primary reasons are pollution and depletion. He is in favor of developing cheap energy alternatives such as wind and solar power."

Apparently that's not good enough, however, since his team's projections are for a "change of 1.0 to 1.5 degrees Celsius – much less than the 1.5 to 4.5 degree change the IPCC has used since it began issuing its reports." But who cares what the chair of the physics dept at a leading university thinks? Especially when he used to be a true believer . . .

"A few years ago if you would ask me I would tell you it's CO2. Why? Because just like everyone else in the public I listened to what the media had to say."
__________________

Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:26   #1172
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Don't be too sure about that...
Forbes is not scientific journal. It regularly has posts from Heartland and others.
__________________

__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:27   #1173
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Here's a few possibilities. Maybe it was this:

“Only people who don’t understand science take the 97% statistic seriously,” he said. “Survey results depend on who you ask, who answers and how the questions are worded. In any case, science is not a democracy. Even if 100% of scientists believe something, one person with good evidence can still be right.”

Then again, it could have been this:

“The real problem is funding from funding agencies like the National Science Foundation because these proposals have to undergo review by people in a community that ostracizes us,” he said, because of his non-conventional viewpoint.

Or this?

"Any scientist who rejects the UN’s IPCC report, as he does, will have trouble finding work, receiving research grants or publishing, he said."


These last words were certainly prophetic. But then it could have just been that, while this scientist believes there is some warming effect from CO2, his projections are lower than the IPCC and he believes the effects of the sun have been largely ignored. So why would anyone want to hear from a guy like that?

Well, apparently not desmogblog, even though it acknowledges that

"[a]lthough he is skeptical of man-made climate change, he stresses that there are a “dozen good reasons why we should strive to burn less fossil fuels.” His two primary reasons are pollution and depletion. He is in favor of developing cheap energy alternatives such as wind and solar power."

Apparently that's not good enough, however, since his team's projections are for a "change of 1.0 to 1.5 degrees Celsius – much less than the 1.5 to 4.5 degree change the IPCC has used since it began issuing its reports." But who cares what the chair of the physics dept at a leading university thinks? Especially when he used to be a true believer . . .

"A few years ago if you would ask me I would tell you it's CO2. Why? Because just like everyone else in the public I listened to what the media had to say."
Bull do do.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:34   #1174
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
sorry to break it to you but the Cern cloud experiment was wrong. Or rather incomplete.
You fail to provide evidence for this assertion.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:39   #1175
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Don't be too sure about that...
I cannot determine Forbes' reasoning. Doron Levin's ballywick is cars, not astrophysics or climate science.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronlevin/#b42a73b1ad7e

Unlike others, I am not prepared to leap to conclusions.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:44   #1176
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What exactly is being suppressed? He is being ignored.

* * *

The world of evolutionary biology tends to mostly ignore "intelligent design."
Oh right, and there's a difference when it comes to whether a scientist gets published depending on whether his work is suppressed or ignored?

Where's the intelligent design part? Did I miss something off his rap sheet on desmogblog, or is this just another one of your more generalized slurs against religious people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is neither censored or censured.

There are numerous rebuttals.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shav...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Google scholar has his publications

https://scholar.google.com/citations...BuUAAAAJ&hl=en
And how many are climate science related? I see two, and one is quite old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Bull do do.
No matter how you say it, you say it a lot. My post was mostly just quoting this scientist. Maybe he has a discussion blog you could join and tell him directly? Please do re-post the discussion here.
Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:50   #1177
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I cannot determine Forbes' reasoning. Doron Levin's ballywick is cars, not astrophysics or climate science.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronlevin/#b42a73b1ad7e

Unlike others, I am not prepared to leap to conclusions.
Well, that's only fair. How about keeping an open mind to the possibility then? Oh, and you might want to actually read Shaviv's explanation I posted first before immediately responding with one of your variants of "BS." Just so you can at least understand where the opinions you don't happen to "like" are coming from.
Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:52   #1178
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post


And how many are climate science related? I see two, and one is quite old.


I see more. Read harder.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 19:58   #1179
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I see more. Read harder.
He's onboard with much of the official position, so need ones which contradict basic themes. Like the one Newhaul posted. I didn't understand the Forbes rejection either. Seems like it'd be right up their alley. Maybe IBD will pick it up.
Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:02   #1180
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
He's onboard with much of the official position, so need ones which contradict basic themes. Like the one Newhaul posted. I didn't understand the Forbes rejection either. Seems like it'd be right up their alley. Maybe IBD will pick it up.
From 2017

Quote:
Increased ionization supports growth of aerosols into cloud condensation nuclei
H Svensmark, MB Enghoff, NJ Shaviv, J Svensmark
Nature communications 8 (1), 2199
Proof positive that he, and other "skeptics" get published.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:04   #1181
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Well, that's only fair. How about keeping an open mind to the possibility then? Oh, and you might want to actually read Shaviv's explanation I posted first before immediately responding with one of your variants of "BS." Just so you can at least understand where the opinions you don't happen to "like" are coming from.
Quote:
"Any scientist who rejects the UN’s IPCC report, as he does, will have trouble finding work, receiving research grants or publishing, he said."
He was published in Nature in 2017.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:07   #1182
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From 2017



Proof positive that he, and other "skeptics" get published.
That's a reach. According to you but not them. Who's less biased?
Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:08   #1183
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
He was published in Nature in 2017.
After those comments, maybe for the last time?
Exile is offline  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:29   #1184
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
After those comments, maybe for the last time?
Unsubstantiated idle assertion.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 09-08-2019, 20:29   #1185
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,526
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
That's a reach. According to you but not them. Who's less biased?
That is a giant leap of a conclusion.
__________________

__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star in the Ocean - A lonely and his beloved (the star) are crossing the ocean Velanera General Sailing Forum 18 21-12-2017 05:22
For Sale: Ocean 60 - Southern Ocean Shipyards for sale Ocean Viking Classifieds Archive 2 12-05-2013 04:30
Volvo Ocean racers take a rain check on the Indian ocean sarafina Cruising News & Events 7 06-02-2012 13:52
World Ocean Database and World Ocean Atlas Series GordMay The Library 2 15-01-2007 21:14
Cruising the Indian Ocean Bob Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 1 29-03-2003 09:46

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.