Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53   #16

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Mark,

Thank you for the wealth of information! I am, in fact a WW II history buff so I have placed Corrigedor Island on my list of places to see. I would kind of like to experience both modes of travel to the island, so I might try to plan it so I take the bus to the village, then a bonca boat to the island and when I am ready to return take the ferry or hydrofoil back. Or something like that.

The Playboy Club has very little appeal to me...unless they now staff it with scantily clad men!

How about currency? I can take Canadian money and exchange it there, take American money and exchange it there or try to get local currency (travellers chq) here. Is one way better than another?

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 20:09   #17
Kai Nui

Permission is always harder than forgiveness I think I need to get out there so we can get into some trouble before the girls get together. My guess is they will make up for lost time
Old 02-09-2006, 21:21   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottygirlz
if I can't readily identify it I won't eat it!
Lori
You know you're in a foreign land when your host looks at you strangely and asks if you realize you've just eaten the centerpiece.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 21:50   #19
Kai Nui

If it's on the table it's fair game
Old 02-09-2006, 22:14   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottygirlz

How about currency? I can take Canadian money and exchange it there, take American money and exchange it there or try to get local currency (travellers chq) here. Is one way better than another?
I would suggest taking travers chq and exchange a little at at time after you get there. The main thing to watch for, is while your exchanging money, that it's not in a street enviroment. People could be watching. Have people with you and return to a safe place afterwards. Just stay alert. Don't carry a purse or anything that can be snatched. And don't wear much jewelry except the cheap stuff. Dress in street clothes when out on the street. You don't want to attract attention.

Other then that, the people are generally great and friendly. Keep smiling they are a happy people. They do speak english, and sometimes mixed with Tagalog.

And check out this site to learn a few well known phrases: http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/T...g_phrases3.htm

Print it out and take it with.

BTW You don't work for Accenture, do ya? We have two neices that work in Manila. One comes to Michigan sometimes.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
I would suggest taking travers chq and exchange a little at at time after you get there. The main thing to watch for, is while your exchanging money, that it's not in a street enviroment. People could be watching. Have people with you and return to a safe place afterwards. Just stay alert. Don't carry a purse or anything that can be snatched. And don't wear much jewelry except the cheap stuff. Dress in street clothes when out on the street. You don't want to attract attention.

Other then that, the people are generally great and friendly. Keep smiling they are a happy people. They do speak english, and sometimes mixed with Tagalog.

And check out this site to learn a few well known phrases: http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/T...g_phrases3.htm

Print it out and take it with.

BTW You don't work for Accenture, do ya? We have two neices that work in Manila. One comes to Michigan sometimes.
Ok, I was planning to take Trav chq so now my only question is CDN or US? My guess is that US will be easier to exchange, although I will lose money with the 3 way exchange, so that is not my preference. Maybe I'll take some of both??

Thanks for the language info!

I work for Nucomm international. We opened our Manila office a couple of years ago.

Lori
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05   #22

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
It used to be that there were literally hundreds of currency exchange shops along the main streets. Very competitive business and you could walk for 2 blocks to find the best rate. I agree that US Dollars will probably be easier to exchange, but Canadian will work also. Avoid the banks - they have lots of surcharges etc and you really take a beating there.

Good advice on not being too flashy - that applies in any foreign country I guess. Pick-pockets were a problem in and around the military bases, but I had no problems in Manilla. Just the same keep a 'teaser' bill in a back pocket if you wear jeans. If you get 'hit' then they get the nominal amount of the 'teaser' and move on.

One caveat - my last visit there was 1990, and I'm sure things have changed a bit. But I'm 100% certain that the people will still be very friendly & helpful once you get out into the Provinces and away from the big city.

Be sure to let us know how you liked Corrigedor when you get back! BTW, the bus route follows part of the route that the Bataan Death March used. There is a large memorial at an intersection along the way - be sure to watch for it.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:09   #23

CDN is just as popular as US $. There are thousands of Filipino's that travel back and forth from Canada to PI each year. My wife use to be one of them.
Vancouver, BC has a very high population of Filipino's.

Once you get there some of your associates can probable tell you the best place for exchange rates. The high tourist areas will be the worst.

Enjoy......................................_/)
Old 03-09-2006, 07:23   #24

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Lori - check out this link: http://www.bataansurvivor.com/conten..._tourism/1.php
Old 03-09-2006, 17:41   #25

I was stationed at Clark AB from 1980 to 1980 and lived both on and off base. I would not drink water anywhere except for in a major name hotel and then only the water provided specifically for human consumption. ie I would not drink the tap water anywhere.

Do not eat any food from a street vendor.

I also do not care for Philippino food. Cuisine and Philippino food is a dicotomy. I would eat food at most any large Chinese restuarant. The Chinese cook everything well done. It's cultural.

Usually places where you see many non-Philippino looking people eating is probably safe.

I would not recommend a rental car. Liability was high for those of us covered by a Status of Forces Agreement. If you are in a vehicle involved in any kind of accident immediately vacate the scene. This will insure your complete non envolvement with any possible after effects. (this assumes that you are not driving) Transportation is cheap, liability is expensive. (All Americans are fabulously wealth).

Never refer to any young (or not so young) lady in any manner other than in glowing terms, you would not believe the slander laws there. For example, you were were cheated by the nice young hostess and by all means not the slut or whore or whatever her line of work would be in comparable US occupational standards.

Beware of pick pockets. Philippinos do not gamble, you might, but they fleece. If you are invited into a game of chance, every one there is playing with each other against you.

If you play golf the PI is dominated with excellent courses. Caddies are excellent and ask the other player how much to tip your caddy. If you play golf wear a hat and drink lots of fluids.

San Miguel beer is excellent in moderate quantities. Over do your celebrations and the aftertaste the next day is like varnish. (of course this is what I'm told) Do not in any case overindulge on RED DOG!!!!!

This time of year is the rainy season, if it is not raining, it will shortly.
Old 03-09-2006, 17:59   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lori,
One of my very favorite places to visit was Baguio City. High elevation, nice and cool.
One August I spent there we had three storms come through and we received 96" of rain in one month. Umbrellas didn't help. The rain bounced up off the ground when it came down so hard and got us wet to the waist.
Have a great trip. It will be hot and humid and hopefully not that much rain.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 18:04   #27

Thanks..

To Wukong and Skiprjohn and everyone else for the valuable information!

The trip has been pushed back 1 week, and I now leave on the 17th. The upside to that is I will hav e a week longer to get the paperwork done. I've been waiting a week for my travel arrangements to get my Passport and the necessary paperwork from the company to apply for my visa. After much ado and sailor speak (under my breath of course!) it looks like things are coming together. I got my shots today, head to Ottawa to get my passport on Friday and then back to Ottawa to pick up my visa on Monday. Once that stress is done I can actually relax and start to anticipate the 25 hour flight!

Lori
Old 06-09-2006, 18:43   #28

Shots

Oh yeah! The one thing you'll need to watch for is chicken pox. Not so much in the city but yes in the small rural areas mostly among children. If you've had'm, no sweat.

BTW- Here's a site to the latest news. Just what you need, more negative stuff. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/

Tip: Before the flight, get as much sleep as you possibly can, sleeping on the plane is rough and if you can avoid eating, don't. When you get there and step off the plane you'll get hit in the face with the hot, humid, sticky and polluted air. And chances are you'll get hit with travelers %#&*^@ within a day or two.

About a week you'll start to get use to the enviroment and maybe even the smell depending on how close to the river you are.

Otherwise, have a good trip........................._/)
Old 10-09-2006, 00:28   #29

Unhappy Just Found out

We have to go too! The wife's mother passed away this morning and we'll be flying out early in the AM on Tuesday. We'll be there a couple weeks.

So, I'll be out of touch for a while. Maybe when we get settled in Manila I might go on line.............................................. ........_/)
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
We have to go too! The wife's mother passed away this morning and we'll be flying out early in the AM on Tuesday. We'll be there a couple weeks.

So, I'll be out of touch for a while. Maybe when we get settled in Manila I might go on line.............................................. ........_/)
Delmarrey,

I'm sorry for your family's loss. Have a safe trip over.

I leave in a week's time, so if you get settled in and back online PM me and maybe we could meet.

Lori