Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 15:52   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
So I wear one contact, basically one eye for distance and one eye for reading. As weird as it sounds it really does work!!!!!!!!! It took a couple of days to get use to but for 5 years it has worked well

Interesting

No eye strain from different vision in each eye?
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 16:05   #17

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi,

one eye for reading and one for distance. How long did it take to get used to that? Does it affect your depth perception or anything? Its what the Laser guys wanted to do for me: not fully correct the myopia in one eye, and use that for reading. So anyway I was scheduled for surgery next week 3rd Dec......but tickets came available for a Hockey game. They are so hard to get in Montreal that I have postponed the surgery . Problem I have with contacts is astigmatism, so the contacts would rotate and there goes the vision!

Anyway, I am going to try the ski mask solution this winter and see how it goes. If it works skiing then it will work sailing: save myself about $5k and no risk.......
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 16:09   #18
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
Interesting

No eye strain from different vision in each eye?
It's actually a common technique these days as an alternative to bi-focals. Most people's brain adjusts and favor the eye that is getting the best image.

The same technique is used with surgery or contacts.

They call it mono-vision.

All about Monovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Does it affect your depth perception ...?
Yes. The amount depends on how different the vision is between your eyes.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 16:14   #19

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Thanks Dan,

I will do some more research..... and maybe even try the contact solution for a few months to see what its like.....conservative appraoch, but not unlike seamanship, alawys good to have at least one back up plan.......
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 17:06   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Back to the rain in the face!

The wife complains about water in the face/glasses so I got her one of these. It's a face guard that dentists wear. The lens are replaceable. It's light weight and fits under a hood like a ball cap. One just has to add a strap on the back and over the top to keep the hood from pushing it down.

I've been thinking of mounting it on a baseball cap.

Old 27-11-2008, 20:40   #21

Boat: Samson C-Breeze, 50ft - Wiskun
I have broken several eyeglasses/shades - the boat won't stay still!! At first, I wanted to have the laser surgery but was told that I will just be exchanging one type of lens for another - i.e. being able to see far, but will need reading glasses. When I went to the philippines, I heard that it was possible to adjust both - at that time, there was only one doctor that had the equipment. I went for it. Now, several years later, I still don't wear glasses. It is not 100% 20/20 perfect vision, but good to be able to see a certain distance, and also can read if at least 16-18 inches away. Since I had to fly back to where our boat was, I didn't stay for further correction to my slight astigmatism. But I can live with what I have now.

I still can't see during heavy tropical downpours and strong wind. My eyes are shut most of the time.
Old 27-11-2008, 21:01   #22

Boat: 32' CC Oday
I have been wearing the mono vision prescription now for 3 years. Though I only needed glasses for reading, the doc fitted me for a lesser power for my other eye to alleviate probable depth perception.

We all have a dominant eye. The way to determine which eye is dominant is to hold your hand up and with both eyes open, block an object from across the room. Close one eye and if the object doesnt shift from behind your hand, then the eye that is open is the dominant eye.

I was fitted with Night & Day lens. These can be worn for up to 30 days though most eye docs dont like you too. I generally take mine out once a week to let my eyes rest for a day.

Though I thought I had adapted very well to wearing lenses, I realized about a year later that it really had taken me that long to learn how to properly care for my eyes and lenses. Wearing contacts, especially over night can cause very bad infections if you dont follow the rules. Luckily I never had a problem.

Wearing contacts is the best thing I ever did.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote