Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Do you think this incident will help promote the professionalism of this company to future clients....?? or do you think they may have missed a golden opportunity to show that when duty calls it will be life before litigation...??

Personally i think they have made an absolute balls up of a buisiness decision, i wouldn't be surprised to find out they are chasing a good PR company to wipe the crap of their face as we speak.

I have been watching the news of this here in Australia, and to say the comments re the incident (and the company) are damming is putting it lightly....

As I said, damned if they do - damned if they don't.

If they hadn't fired him then the next time it happened and things went wrong (esp. on the unguarded beach) - then first step would be for the Company / Directors? / Owners? to get butts sued, which doesn't matter(?) if the Insurance company stands behind them and the Company has SFA better to do than spend time in court. Depending on the size of the company that could be an end of game event. Or maybe even the City / State they contracted to would use the event as an excuse to terminate the contract. Folks will lose livelihoods as well as Owners losing money - all for no fault of their own. It's the system innit .

Perhaps sounds harsh, but if it was a choice between saving a stranger from a burning building (or the water) and me risking losing my livelihood then all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe. I've known people who have died over less money. Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe.
You are such a romantic, good sir.

Coops.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:30   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You are such a romantic, good sir.

Coops.
I have me moments
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32   #19

I don't think the problem is bureaucracy, but rather our tort system in the US. It's all driven by fear of getting sued, and policies that attempt to dodge all the dumb-ass things that people have been sued over before. As JayCall points out, if the guy had not responded they would probably get sued. If the victim doesn't make it or has brain damage, they will get sued. They will definitely get sued for wrongful termination of the lifeguard. And what if someone inside the "covered area" got in trouble while Jonney-be-Good was helping the guy outside? Law suit. We've become a country governed by liability lawsuits, not by laws, and certainly not by common sense. Sigh!
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43   #20

Boat: Lagoon 440

And thats the difference between me and thee, i'd always opt for saving some person than consider the job, jobs are nothing life is everything....... It's a no brainer.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55   #21

Quote:
As I said, damned if they do - damned if they don't.

If they hadn't fired him then the next time it happened and things went wrong (esp. on the unguarded beach) - then first step would be for the Company / Directors? / Owners? to get butts sued, which doesn't matter(?) if the Insurance company stands behind them and the Company has SFA better to do than spend time in court. Depending on the size of the company that could be an end of game event. Or maybe even the City / State they contracted to would use the event as an excuse to terminate the contract. Folks will lose livelihoods as well as Owners losing money - all for no fault of their own. It's the system innit .

Perhaps sounds harsh, but if it was a choice between saving a stranger from a burning building (or the water) and me risking losing my livelihood then all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe. I've known people who have died over less money. Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.
Seriously DOJ, you just don't have a clue.......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56   #22

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I just love it, when people put the almighty dollar ahead of some ones life,

Thats been discussed on here too, In other threads.

How much does it cost to rescue some one at sea,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:13   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440

quote#Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.

You have to be joking or simply trying to inspire some keyboard entertainment for your day?

This has to be the dumbest statement on this forum for some time.... Why did you get banned from the other forum 3 times?? Bahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Play by rules no DOJ not you!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Please, let's not get personal.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46   #25

As for the area he was patrolling being unprotected, does that mean he alone was responsible for all the beach goes in his area? for $8 an hr? Are they for real? Hopefully this good guy will sue this company for wrongful dismissal and get a decent pay..... Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr? I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and I have to guarantee them 8 hrs pay and that was 12 yrs ago.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55   #26

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Seriously DOJ, you just don't have a clue.......
Actually--he does have a clue. Watch any 1/2 hr news telecast and see that " end justifies the meens" corporate mentality at work every day.
It espouses that the shareholders are the most important people in the world.
SAD ---unless you are a shareholder.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
As for the area he was patrolling being unprotected, does that mean he alone was responsible for all the beach goes in his area? for $8 an hr? Are they for real? Hopefully this good guy will sue this company for wrongful dismissal and get a decent pay..... Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr? I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and I have to guarantee them 8 hrs pay and that was 12 yrs ago.

T1 Terry
Every Americans favourite daughter--SUE.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Actually--he does have a clue. Watch any 1/2 hr news telecast and see that " end justifies the meens" corporate mentality at work every day.
It espouses that the shareholders are the most important people in the world.
SAD ---unless you are a shareholder.
Do you think i live under a rock or something ??

Maybe i should have isolated the offending statement as it seems a few have difficulty in getting it.....

Quote:
.....anyone with this philosophy in life would have no place on my ship or the ship of anyone i know.....piss poor values and quite obviously someone who could not be depended on........nothing more than a liability!
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post

T1 Terry
A good example of difference between North American and Australian waves, salaries, and... prices
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30   #30

[QUOTE=IslandHopper;983947]Do you think i live under a rock or something ??

.I think you missed my meaning on this. Sorry.
Having served in the Fire Service for 17 yrs, and having required medical treatment 3 times (once for 3 days), I know personally what it feels like to have not saved 3 souls.

Tags
head