Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38   #1

Google Ocean

Just heard on the news Google Ocean will be unveiled in about 30 mins.

From what I can gather the URL will be Google Earth

Who's going to check it out?

It almost looks like you are going to have to get a new version of Google earth, not sure yet will know more in a bit.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01   #2

OK Got it. all I can say is WOW! It is incredible!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58   #3

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
Just looked at it and it has some great applications, still playing with it and will let you know how I like it.
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I certainly need to play with it more, but my first test-run didn't impress me that much at least not as a cruising tool. I zoomed in on Moraine Cay in the Bahamas and found the image quality so poor, it would do me no good. (The Carter's Cay group, for some reason had a lot more clarity.). I tried using their "tac" points, but when ever I tried using them for anything I kept getting error messages saying it did not recognize the street address.

Visually, the seamless presentation and ocean bottom view were pleasing, as was the ability to tilt things to a differnet persepctive. However, on a scale I'd apply to navigate local features, these new add ons did little. The actual sattelite imagry seems to be the same as I previously got with google earth which is some cases is helpful and in others offers no detail.

My initial assessment is to give them a thumbs up on a fun ocean mapping system, but thumbs down on any improvements over the old google earth that will actually help me, but as I said at first, I need to play with it more.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I certainly need to play with it more, but my first test-run didn't impress me that much at least not as a cruising tool. I zoomed in on Moraine Cay in the Bahamas and found the image quality so poor, it would do me no good. (The Carter's Cay group, for some reason had a lot more clarity.). I tried using their "tac" points, but when ever I tried using them for anything I kept getting error messages saying it did not recognize the street address.

Visually, the seamless presentation and ocean bottom view were pleasing, as was the ability to tilt things to a differnet persepctive. However, on a scale I'd apply to navigate local features, these new add ons did little. The actual sattelite imagry seems to be the same as I previously got with google earth which is some cases is helpful and in others offers no detail.

My initial assessment is to give them a thumbs up on a fun ocean mapping system, but thumbs down on any improvements over the old google earth that will actually help me, but as I said at first, I need to play with it more.
Did you see the weather buoy info and wrecks and marked inlets? I don't think it is meant to replace your regular nav tools but for a quick look at what is around you I think it is awesome. I know here it will be extremely valuable this summer to check water and wind out there before we head to the stream for a days fishing or whatever.
Old 02-02-2009, 19:53   #6

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Just heard on the news Google Ocean will be unveiled in about 30 mins.

From what I can gather the URL will be Google Earth

Who's going to check it out?

It almost looks like you are going to have to get a new version of Google earth, not sure yet will know more in a bit.
What a great idea! How cool is this! Who thinks that it is trustworthy as a chart source?
SweetSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 22:19   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Looks like a fun program but I have a Mac and have down loaded the necessary plug-in's and drivers now I need to buy a Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 32MB of VRAM

All I get is a white earth.
Old 02-02-2009, 22:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
San Francisco Bay is still a picture of the surface of the water...made artificially blue. Its too bad because the SF Bay has a some very interesting topography.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
San Francisco Bay is still a picture of the surface of the water...made artificially blue. Its too bad because the SF Bay has a some very interesting topography.
You can't see the boat just north of the Walter Hackett wreck? I am getting topography of the bottom, it isn't as good as in my area but still not that bad.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
I downloaded it last night and played around with it some. I found the site of the orginal Bluenoser wreck off of Hatti.
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google