Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52   #46

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
*facepalm* re the seagull poop... That is indeed loony.

Ever so slightly off topic, since it's not exactly dockside, but my solution after years of impossible boat commutes was to build a mobile lab/shop. Then all I had to do was find parking for that and boat in the same town... still not a trivial problem, but easier than locating nearby workspace.

Cheers from Nomadness,
Steve
Old 13-06-2011, 07:51   #47

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Dockside Boat Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Ever so slightly off topic, since it's not exactly dockside, but my solution after years of impossible boat commutes was to build a mobile lab/shop.
Bingo. Your's is bigger than mine. I've been dragging around an 8x14 dual axle utility trailer as a shop & storage for about six years. Great solution.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:14   #48

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Considering that I've worked on vessels all of my sea going career going back several decades... I know for a fact that at any one time a boat needs maintenance at one level or another... Some of those highly varnished race horse need a high level and some of the lesser more livable ones still need maintenance but it is done at a more leasurely pace. But maintenance must be done. From the Truck of the mast to the bottom of the keel. You either pay someone to do it or it is DIY. Me? it is DIY.

I wish I could have said "days" instead of "Decades". But when you are born in the first half of the last century... Well you know how it is.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 12:36   #49

Auspicious - thanks... I want to do a follow-up sometime on a recent special issue of the Nomadness Report that was about my mobile lab. I bet there are quite a few interesting variants on the theme, and if you're interested, perhaps I can run a photo and some comments from you on the toolset... please PM me if this sounds fun! (That invitation extends to anyone else who has one also.)

Boasun - no kidding. I was lazy about this at first, then got badly ripped off by a local marine plumber who left a mess of bad work (and corresponding smells) after charging me a lot to do a holding tank. Lesson learned. If something doesn't require an expensive esoteric tool or highly evolved specialized skills, I'll figure it out and do it myself.

Below are two photos of my mobile lab, now parked in a building about 2 blocks from the boat.

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polaris-working-make.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	28495   Click image for larger version

Name:	make-overall.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	28496  

Old 13-06-2011, 14:25   #50

PS - in the community spirit, lest my last post look like an ad, I've parked the issue about the mobile lab on my website as a free download for CF folk. If you need to conjure portable workspace in the marina parking lot, it might give you some useful ideas...

Polaris Mobile Lab (2.39 mb PDF)

Cheers!
Steve
Old 13-06-2011, 19:14   #51

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

I have been feeling a bit guilty using my member’s day at my yacht club to do some sanding. It is such a tranquil location that really makes me aware of the noise. I have been doing my best to keep a bit of pressure/contact on the orbital sander, which seems to minimize the noise. I also try to work on days when the offshore will carry the noise and dust away. So far I have not had any complaints and the Dockmaster did OK the practice.

The only drama I might have initiated was when my batteries ran down and I started my engine a bit after dark. The old Bukh needs a good balance and typically tries to jump off the engine mounts grinding before she settles. A boat near me turned their TV to an absurd volume. I am not sure whether they felt equally absurd when the noise quickly abated?

I am not getting into the “exclusive” marina debate. I get the day a week and often a bit more for free with my membership. It is more a respect thing in a ideal setting where I get a good run. Maybe the applicable term over here is “A fair go”?
Old 13-06-2011, 19:25   #52

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I work on my boat in the slip and on the hard, no complaints. Then again, I haven't see a soul on most of the boats on my dock all year.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:20   #53

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
last summer needed a tune up and heat exchanger reapir-- didnt get to 70 degrees except coupla times-- this sweatbox place is awesome..... been told is still cold there---- eeeeps-- glad i escaped !!!!
dockside repairs--need to repair sd's summer!!!! rofl....mebbe someone paid the heat bill this year???/ the record book sed last summer was coldest in 77yrs.....
Must be global warming.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 18:38   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Must be global warming.
not quite--relocation to southern areas is more like it--mazatlan is a lot warmer than has been sin diego for the past 2 yrs..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 13:32   #55

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS Sun Odyssey-"EzkapA"
Thanks for all the interesting comments. What has been happening boats have been traveling into our marina just for repairs assigned to slips right next to me (I am at the end of the dock) so it seems that the marina is recruiting for that business, it is not the regular boats doing their regular boat work that I am reacting over. Trust me- I have my own fair share of work to do on the sailboat. One day I will make the break off the dock!!!
cheryfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 14:01   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryfee View Post
Thanks for all the interesting comments. What has been happening boats have been traveling into our marina just for repairs assigned to slips right next to me (I am at the end of the dock) so it seems that the marina is recruiting for that business, it is not the regular boats doing their regular boat work that I am reacting over. Trust me- I have my own fair share of work to do on the sailboat. One day I will make the break off the dock!!!

I feel your pain.......

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs