Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS Sun Odyssey-"EzkapA"
Thumbs down Dockside Boat Repairs

Just wondering if anyone else has frustration related to other boats making renovations on the dock.....scraping, sanding, rebuilding, whatever you name it....I am NOT in a boatyard, contrary I am in an exclusive marina. I have dayworkers constantly going by my sailboat, and temporary slipmates with a huge agenda involving power tools. Last year I spent at Bahia Mar in Ft Lauderdale I never saw this kind of activity on the dock. Just wondering what everyone else out there is experiencing?
cheryfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: dockside boat repairs

fixed mine on a mooring--is a bit of a challenge--but i HATE marinas..especially exclusive ones..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:14   #3

I work on my boat in our current marina. I try to be cognizant of not sanding while others are painting/varnishing, etc. I think if you find yourself needing to carry out a repair while in a marina somewhere in this world your opinion might change. Even the big mega yachts are constantly being buffed/waxed/sprayed.

Some marinas have very tough policies against working on a boat in a slip, others are more relaxed about it. As an owner the more relaxed ones save you a lot of money in the long run since you can do a lot of work yourself and on an easier schedule than paying for a work slip in a boat yard and trying to conform their schedule.

In spring time the sound of sanders in our marina is like a fleet of coked-up bumblebees out for blood.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryfee View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has frustration related to other boats making renovations on the dock.....scraping, sanding, rebuilding, whatever you name it....I am NOT in a boatyard, contrary I am in an exclusive marina. I have dayworkers constantly going by my sailboat, and temporary slipmates with a huge agenda involving power tools. Last year I spent at Bahia Mar in Ft Lauderdale I never saw this kind of activity on the dock. Just wondering what everyone else out there is experiencing?
Go sailing.... the ocean is vast....
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28   #5

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

We all work on our boats in slip too, no one complains, but we are a pretty casual bunch here. There are many projects that can be done at the slip that don't need to rack up a haul out fee plus 30 clams a day yard fee's. When I refinish the exterior teak at the dock I always warn my nieghbors. The fellow accross from me keeps his boat in "better than show room" condition and when I asked if he minds the sanding noise and dust he replied, "It's music to my ears, as long as it's not me doing the work." Last year I replaced the engine at the dock. Kingston is a beautifull marina, but not considered exclusive by any means. Don't really enjoy that level of burden.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I work on my boat in my slip. I re-do varnish, make minor gelcoat repairs and so on. I also make an effort to minimize any impact on other boats. For example, if it is windy I won't strip varnish or do any serious sanding. When I spray gelcoat I use an air brush, there is virtually no overspray. I'll mask off the surrounding 3 in or so but the overspray is seldom more than an inch. There really is not a good alternative. My pockets are not so deep that I can have the boat hauled everytime something needs repair or refinishing. And something always needs repair or refurbishing. For that matter, the yard next to my marina will be over there sandblasting bottoms, spray painting hulls, etc. and more of that junk gets on our boats than the stuff we produce. It's not like its an everyday thing. OK so a little sawdust from my neighbor gets on my boat. A little breeze or a quick rinse with a hose takes care of that.

Personally, I think you might be over reacting a bit. Wait until you need to do some work. The only alternatives are go to a mooring or find a home on a canal where you can keep your boat away from all the riff raff.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I feel fortunate the policy where I am allows for this. It saves quite a bit of money. I try to stay cognizant of people that I might be affecting and not allow what I am doing negatively affect them. They have more of a right to not be negatively affected than I have the right to work on my boat at that time. It makes for good dock neighbors.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Washington State laws now prohibit ANY work on the side of the of the hull (paint, sand, varnish, wash, wax, etc). I was one of those rare people that followed the rules, tarped between boat and dock, vacumed up after myself etc...it is the people that violated those rules that make it hard on the rest of us. My boat was on the hard all winter, I was planning to do my rub rails and bulwarks from the dock as had been allowed in the past...they didn't tell me it wasn't possible until after I had my boat back in the water. So I am going to have to have my boat hauled again to be able to do my rub rails, bulwarks and a few other little things on the hull....this will cost me an extra $300 in hauling and yard fees (about 1/3 my monthly income)..
As far as "exclusive marinas" the worst I have heard of was one that required your boat be kept clean but would not allow you to clean it in the slip.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35   #9

Re: Dockside Boat Repairs

Quote:
This is the problem. Just because you're in an "exclusive" marina doesn't mean that the workings of boat ownership don't happen. Maybe offer a hand instead of complaining, what if you needed to do boat work and found it easier to just do it in the water?
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone else has frustration related to other boats making renovations on the dock.....?
I sure as hell never go to a dock unless theres some major work being done!

Its like a Forumlea 1 Pitt Stop!

Shortest possible time and most amount of work till I run out of money and head back to the anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaLiefatdock.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	28260  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:58   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Only reason I'm in a marina is so I can work on it. That being saud, my marina has a section for DIY's.
Otherwise I'm on the hook.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:55   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sanding bad, welding worse, grinding...

If you think sanding and painting is bad consider the lot of the poor steel boat owner. Welding spatter isn't too bad, but those red hot grinding particles travel long distances and love to bury themselves into pristine fibreglass where they wait a few days and then rust...

I'm just glad I'm on a mooring and other boats are a fair distance off.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 16:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Borcay,

We did a fair bit of work on our steel boat this spring. I took off the old safety rails and put on a radar arch. I had to cut the rails off with a grinder and then more grinding to weld the sockets for the arch. Then drilling to put all the attachments on the arch.

I swear we will NEVER get all the bloody rust spots off the deck. We tried to be careful, and were far away from others so that wasn't a problem, although I did expect to get some comments when I was welding. The PO had bolted all the safety rails to the deck and when they came up they left me two dozen holes to be welded closed.

In the end I have no complaints from my neighbors, yet. But now that the season is in full swing I will have to be more careful.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 16:52   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Phosphoric acid?

I find if I hit the rust spots with a bit of phosphoric now and again it keeps them under control.

But like the song says, "There's always something there to remind me".

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:55   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I sure as hell never go to a dock unless theres some major work being done!
I sometimes even do some. All boats are in some state of disrepair. It's a never ending story until you take a year or so off before selling it to someone else.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs