Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 10:03   #46

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

Suijin makes some good points! I spent much of my life delivering boats up and down the west coast and unless the boat was in great nick, weather windows looked OK, and I had a capable crew, I would take a pass on hiring a delivery skipper. Any boat, but particularly an older one, is going to get beat up pounding north from Panama to the PNW. I've made the trip a few times and the bigger and newer the better.
If you are in love with the boat, try and get her to Texas, or northern Mexico and truck her. Better still, buy one where you live and plan to cruise. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14   #47

Boat: Hunter 450

NOMN, how about this option?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-102925.html
engine1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

I flew to St Martin in 2000 to buy my 'Dream Boat'... a '70's, 36ft Cheoy Lee clipper ketch... $25K and she was gorgeous... everything I wanted to cruise the Atlantic and Caribbean islands for the rest of my life... <3
I sailed back to the UK in an '87 Beneteau Oceanis .
The Cheoy Lee pic's were 10yrs old... 6ft varnish pennants flying from the masts... rotten teak deck... and the interior
Something to bear in mind when buying in the tropic's is if the boats been left standing (abandoned) she's gonna die real fast..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15   #49

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
Well, it's got a unique interior and I am planning on becoming a liveaboard.

It's a Wet Snail 32, and I felt relatively safe in it pursuing my dreams of ocean crossing. I've been pouring through nearly 6000 boats in every classifieds imaginable and I just don't find them likeable in terms of my HOUSE, and being seaworthy, lol. I found a boat I might enjoy locally too, a Cape Dory 25D, but do you think that one has the same "forgiveness" to a beginner and would be ideal for a single guy living on it and cruising oceans whilst blogging?

Is a Cape Dory 25D really going to be able to take me through tough storms and do extended ocean crossings relatively comfortable with a single guy?!!

I'm new here, so maybe blowing my life savings on transportation alone in this Panama thing is a terrible idea..

HA.....I knew it. This has been for sale on Ebay.
Probably a nice boat btw and a very "unique interior".
Seems to be in good shape and nice owners.
West Sail Offshore Cutter for sale in Panama Panama, Panama - 817727 - Boatshop24.com
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

If your looking for a price PM me... bear in mind folk have been fairly close-ish to the cost..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17   #51

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But if you do buy a POS (err.....I mean rare classic ) in some distant port, then our Phil (Boatman61) is probably the goto delivery guy .
Boatman61 is an excellent choice for a delivery skipper! He gets the job done right.

Also he lets you pay him whatever you deem fair and only when and if you get around to it.

-- Probably a bad (inside) joke, sorry!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24   #52

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
HA.....I knew it. This has been for sale on Ebay.
Probably a nice boat btw and a very "unique interior".
Seems to be in good shape and nice owners.
West Sail Offshore Cutter for sale in Panama Panama, Panama - 817727 - Boatshop24.com
The plot thickens...

From the picture, it looks like the boat is on the hard in Shelter Bay, which sits in the middle of the old US Army "JUNGLE" school, near Colon.

Lots of boats spending time there are getting rot and other tropical bad things...

Shelter Bay is not a good place to store a boat long term. High humidity, lots of rain and severe heat destroy boats sitting on the hard, unless you find a reliable boat sitter!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59   #53

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
1558 sailboats on Yacht world priced between $10 and $35,000 and lengths between 30' to 34'. And you found your dream boat in Panama?
No, actually my dream boat is a Cape Dory 26D. I had to settle on this one because it was my second pick.

I literally poured through all of them.. ALL OF THEM. Every agent in the world pretty much hates me now because I would look and go on test sails and STILL be disappointed. The Wet Snail is like the only other boat that felt "Right" compared to the 26D. My third pick would be a 25D. BUT THE 26... oh my god!

FML.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
The plot thickens...

From the picture, it looks like the boat is on the hard in Shelter Bay, which sits in the middle of the old US Army "JUNGLE" school, near Colon.

Lots of boats spending time there are getting rot and other tropical bad things...

Shelter Bay is not a good place to store a boat long term. High humidity, lots of rain and severe heat destroy boats sitting on the hard, unless you find a reliable boat sitter!
This is it! And he did say something about mold growing.

Uhh?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05   #55

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
No, actually my dream boat is a Cape Dory 26D. I had to settle on this one because it was my second pick.

I literally poured through all of them.. ALL OF THEM. Every agent in the world pretty much hates me now because I would look and go on test sails and STILL be disappointed. The Wet Snail is like the only other boat that felt "Right" compared to the 26D.

FML.
You really should stop referring to a boat that you admire so much as a "wetsnail".
It's negative for yourself and disrespectfull to others.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
You really should stop referring to a boat that you admire so much as a "wetsnail".
It's negative for yourself and disrespectfull to others.
Hey!! I say that as a joke. Even the owner loves his boat and calls it that.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

I literally poured through all of them.. ALL OF THEM. Every agent in the world pretty much hates me now because I would look and go on test sails and STILL be disappointed. The Wet Snail is like the only other boat that felt "Right" compared to the 26D. My third pick would be a 25D. BUT THE 26... oh my god!

FML.
So what was the nature of your disappointment? If the 26D was your dream boat then why didn't you like the test sail?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

There is no perfect boat!!!! Unless it is a boat that you have access to and someone else is paying all the bills!!!!

If there is a perfect boat, we would all own one, and this forum would not be necessary.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So what was the nature of your disappointment? If the 26D was your dream boat then why didn't you like the test sail?
I haven't been able to test sail it. Every time I call on one, it's in a "contigency contract" and gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
There is no perfect boat!!!! Unless it is a boat that you have access to and someone else is paying all the bills!!!!

If there is a perfect boat, we would all own one, and this forum would not be necessary.
I totally agree. I know boats are just a bunch of compromises! But I'm still obsessed with those cape dorys, lol, and I trust them out on the open water with no help for 1000's of miles..

Tags
delivery