Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2023, 10:42   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Cheap Ice maker

Very happy with this one! I guess most of the cheapos are the same, just differently branded.

John
Old 19-03-2023, 18:17   #17

Boat: Catalina 42

If the ice is only for drinks then am I missing something by planning on using the following? I'd rather not have a counter top appliance if a few small trays would work.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-No-...0B88Q871M?th=1
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 20:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by neflier View Post
If the ice is only for drinks then am I missing something by planning on using the following? I'd rather not have a counter top appliance if a few small trays would work.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-No-...0B88Q871M?th=1
Ok you are throwing a small deck party say 8 people a sub $100 portable ice maker will keep everyone happy but your trays are done after 2 drinks and no more for hours. Mine has been in near constant use for 3 years . Don't take long to pay for itself at 27 pounds of ice a day. Vs $4 for a 10 pound bag from the store . Let alone in a remote Anchorage.
Old 19-03-2023, 22:43   #19
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

I was thinking about putting in a built-in ice maker but did this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great. I make ice and bag it up, and then put the ice maker away. It's fairly productive, and can make quite a bit of ice in a very short period of time.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 06:52   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Ice trays work great... IF you only need ice for a few drinks, the next day, and have lots of room in the freezer to lay the trays out flat while they're freezing. Many marine freezers don't get much below freezing, unlike home freezers which get down to 0F. It could take a very long time to freeze a tray full of ice.

I am limited on space, too, but the countertop ice maker is well worth the room it takes up. I bring it out, make a one-gallon bag or two full of ice, stuff the bags in the freezer and then stow the ice maker. I do this when it's convenient and power is available. It runs fine off the inverter, so even underway in settled conditions works.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 07:33   #21

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

I have a typical domestic icemaker which I dont use anymore because I have swapped over to the best icemaker that I have ever owned!

It is a 2L plastic "ice cream" dish with silicone inserts. It produces 80 large solid blocks of ice every 24hr in my freezer at -15C (it has only been 12hr since refill in the pic shown).

When ready we empty into a separate bag kept in the freezer and refill the dish, taking ice from the bag as needed, that way we never run out of ice.

We dont use anywhere near 80 blocks in 24hr, so could easily build up more stock over a few days if required.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_101434.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	272989Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_101445.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	272990
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 08:44   #22

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Ice trays work great... IF you only need ice for a few drinks, the next day, and have lots of room in the freezer to lay the trays out flat while they're freezing. Many marine freezers don't get much below freezing, unlike home freezers which get down to 0F. It could take a very long time to freeze a tray full of ice.

I am limited on space, too, but the countertop ice maker is well worth the room it takes up. I bring it out, make a one-gallon bag or two full of ice, stuff the bags in the freezer and then stow the ice maker. I do this when it's convenient and power is available. It runs fine off the inverter, so even underway in settled conditions works.

Seafrost sells vertical ice trays that you place up against your freezers (or refrig) cold plate so there’s direct contact with the cold plate. This avoids the problems of the long time it takes for horizontal trays not in contact with the cold plate to freeze and also avoids spilling the water in a boat that’s always moving.
They make large, square cubes which I like because just one, or two in a tall glass, lasts quite awhile. They are ruggedly made out of stainless steel with a rubber expansion strip up the side and Seafrost charges about $120 for 2 of them. Sort of expensive but I thought it worth the price to avoid having to buy and find a place to store yet another electric appliance that will eventually stop working and have to be replaced. They work great and after using them for 3 years I think it was $120 well spent.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 09:41   #23

Been using one of these cheap countertop ice makers for years. Freezer space is limited, counter space - not as much (we put ours in the forward stateroom - no noise). Or on the stove when under way.

As the freezer gains room, we still use the ice maker - but freeze a bag from the countertop machine. So much easier than the tray routine - but also have large trays that makes larger balls and cubes for old fashioned drinks and the like.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 14:20   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 58 Ketch

This is my cheap built-in ice maker using https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087B9YCX4...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ice1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	275797  
SV_MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 04:54   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_MAGIC View Post
This is my cheap built-in ice maker using...
That looks fantastic. Nice job!

I also like the form factor of that ice maker. Ours has the "rounded" case like all the rest. Your "squared off" model looks nicer and fits better in the cabinet.

I assume you take off that side panel when it's running, to allow the fan to do it's job.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:44   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 58 Ketch

It's actually almost flush with the counter top now. I'll have to take so more photos.

No, the side door does not need to be opened. The heat is pulled out the back and dumped into the bilge. I'm also working on having the refill performed automatically and the drain go directly to the shower sump.

I bought two so that I would always have spare parts in case they stop selling this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ice.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	276279   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempsnip.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	276280  

SV_MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags