Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2007, 12:53   #1
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
biggest slowdown in almost 20 years ?

I read this today: Are things this bad in the boat industry?

Marine industry taken off guard?

"............The problem with this latest downturn is that it came upon us so slowly that it caught a lot of people, including the marine industry, off guard. Perhaps there were some early warning signs it was coming, but because it wasn’t a crisis there was no immediate need for action.
Now the downturn is upon us – some are saying the marine industry is suffering from the biggest slowdown in almost 20 years – and people are wondering how we got here. It’s like a drought that takes years to develop; by the time you realize there’s a crisis it’s almost too late to do anything about it......"

Trade Talk » Blog Archive » Marine industry taken off guard?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 14:03   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
To me it was pretty simple to see.
Boating follows housing.
Always has.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 16:25   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not surprising. With the junk mortgage market bursting and the stock market plunging--and still very shaky--the market for all luxury goods especially the big ticket ones, will be tanking.

Which is another reason why looking at historical prices for used boats is a very uncertain way to determine value, you need to account for where the economy was in any given year and "add salt" to read what the sale prices really meant.

"Perhaps there were some early warning signs it was coming," Only if someone was astute enough to be saying "Ya know, sooner or later all these foreclosures are gonna add up to a market crash." And doubtless SOME of the pros were.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 16:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Boats are luxury items. Any economic downturn kills luxury item manufacturers. This twenty year thing sounds like an exaggeration though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:57   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
This is only the beginning. I'm not sure that we will see any light in the economy at least until mid 2009. We have been through hard times before in the 80's and 90's. Seems we never learn our lessons but I will not get political on this one. Suffice it to say, it is an excellent time to weigh anchor and cruise until the winds change...so to speak.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 15:38   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I have been told that there has not been a down market in any presidential election year.
I think it is true.
I also cannot decide if next year will be the first one to occur.
Tough choice for me.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 16:36   #7

I promised not to be political....but. We were in a recession when Clinton took office from Bush Sr.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-11-2007, 18:03   #8

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
We were in a recession when Clinton took office from Bush Sr.

Yes we were - and remember the luxury tax on boats that just killed the industry? Hard to imagine it could get worse than that...
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 21:06   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
There's a lot of uncertainy about this downturn. There seem to be two groups of experts. One says everything is going just fine and the other says we are in for a rough couple of years.

From my professional standpoint, what's going on in the financial markets is unprecedented. I'm not sure what's coming, but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 23:11   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just remember. A recession becomes a depression when "you" lose "your" job - LOL.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 23:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Just remember. A recession becomes a depression when "you" lose "your" job - LOL.
Well...The best solution for depression is to weigh anchor and go sailing!
Old 21-11-2007, 10:00   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
There's a lot of uncertainy about this downturn. There seem to be two groups of experts. One says everything is going just fine and the other says we are in for a rough couple of years.

From my professional standpoint, what's going on in the financial markets is unprecedented. I'm not sure what's coming, but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it.
Agreed. See the thread about "Value of the Dollar".

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I promised not to be political....but. We were in a recession when Clinton took office from Bush Sr.
So many factors other than the Presidency determine the state of an economy that to blame or credit a President for the state of an economy is ridiculous. Congress if anything is to accept the blame or credit...they are the ones who decide how much and what is to be taxed and how the money is to be spent. All in all though....both are relatively minor in the big picture, especially now that the worlds economies are tied to each other.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 11:35   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post

Agreed. The Wall St is in a state of "fluctuation" and has not decided on an advance or decline. I would disagree that we haven't seen this type of market in the past, though.

The only thing that seems unprecedented is the falling dollar in combination with the stagnant stock market in combination with the lending problems in combination with global trade in combination with energy costs. ha ha ha

Seriously... that's what's unprecedented. Most of these things have happned one or another at a time, but this time they're all coming at us at once.

Makes a tough call right this second on what to do with your investment $$. I've been working on that issue all day. It's a nasty one.

We've got a few financial experts on here. I sure would love to hear their takes just to see if I'm heading in the right direction with where to park my funds until the market declines and I can buy some cheap stocks. Any tips out there?

PS: Presidents are puppets/figureheads these days. They have very little to do with anything, but put a public face on the "administration" and what groups are in power/favor.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 11:44   #15

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
heck if the number of boats on the used boats market increases and the number of new un sold new boats increases and all of this would pushes price down it would be a good thing for people looking to buy and might help off set the loss of value in the dollar.
Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote