Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 05:04   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are we alone?

I don't know.. The oldest story on earth tells of the first two 'people' to arrive on earth who then were stranded because their craft was destroyed in the crash with them being the only survivors.. they mated and produced two sons who went on to fight over an earthling female ending up in the death of one of them and a new genetic strain entered the population.. The rest is history.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:07   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Are we alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
If there are very advanced aliens then how could we understand their motivations let alone guess them or reason them out.

Its like a prairie dog wondering why his mates heads explode occasionally. How can he grok our reasoning? How could we explain it? (Long distance varmint shooting)
As Europeans technology increased , it expanded its presence all over the world , it’s entirely likely to postulate that if there are advanced civilisations , we would have seen them by now. Even the prairie dog recognises humans even if the “ gun “ is unfathomable to it

The alternative is we are the “ advanced civilisation “ , a fact that seems to disturb some people.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:06   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another fascinating or amusing aspect to all this is the UFOers out there who claim have been abducted and experimented on -- usually sexually. These are never leaders of countries, provinces or even cities. They are always some sort of person further from the centre.

No matter the level of technology, interstellar travel is going to take serious effort. Even if we imagine FTL travel, just the choice to come here, instead of somewhere else, suggests a level of effort.

So why, after going to all this bother, would aliens only grab this more fringe persons? Why would you not land in New York, or London or Toronto (Canadian, eh?) and say "Take me to your leader."
Old 05-01-2021, 06:38   #49

Sometimes I wonder about comparing another inhabitable planet to Earth and wonder how evenly resources are spread throughout the universe. Perhaps Aliens would come and barter gold or diamonds for iron 1:1 because those are not rare on their planet.

or maybe they would just plunder us for our junk yards
Old 05-01-2021, 09:33   #50

Are we alone?

Humans have always claimed to have seen, or been abducted by strange ‘other’ creatures. It used to be fairies, goblins, leprechauns, trolls, ogres or whatever. Now it’s extra-terrestrials. Perhaps it’s a cultural thing.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:53   #51
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
I think it is a relevant question. If there's no cruisable ocean on those other planets, it is not worth going.

Happy New Year to you all!
+1

im just excited about the possibility of new anchorages.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
+1

im just excited about the possibility of new anchorages.

Which anchor would be best on a planet with lower gravity than Earth?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:13   #53
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
I wrote a short story a while back about the discovery of radio signals from a nearby star system. Rather than trying to travel there, the two planets simply started an asynchronous exchange of radio (and video) streams. A "reply" by radio may take 15 or 20 years (or more), but once the streams are both flowing there can be an exchange of information at the generational time-scale.

In my story, the other planet begged us to stop streaming because of the garbage that was being sent...reruns of reality tv and such.
to me thats the most interesting potential to this sort of discovery. not physically going there any time soon but the establishment of a semi galactic (local) communication network. even if life is proliferate throughout the universe, i cant image physical travel is the preferred method of contact.

i would assume some sort of galactic internet would be a more viable option. of course a civilization would have to survive long enough and become advanced enough to use such a theoretical technology but maybe thats the proof your civilization is smart enough and advanced enough to not be a threat.

in the meantime less advanced civilization who are yound and maturing would be looking for simple radio wave signals or similar, and if discovered may develop a very basic planet to planet communications system. i think if we discovered such a local civilization we would hardly be a threat to each other. by the time we could launch a raiding party so much time would have passed, the threat would have become trivial.

potentially these types of mutual contacts (theoretically) may actually be a necessary and crucial step for planetary civilizations to surviving long term. maybe similar to how the integration of Neanderthal and homo sapiens likely saved both branches of our species.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:23   #54
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Which anchor would be best on a planet with lower gravity than Earth?
Mantus Supreme for sure. the rollbar is meant to catch on semi submersible objects.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:42   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Humans have always claimed to have seen, or been abducted by strange ‘other’ creatures. It used to be fairies, goblins, leprechauns, trolls, ogres or whatever. Now it’s extra-terrestrials. Perhaps it’s a cultural thing.

Yup. You can add angels and demons and all manner of ghosts and other-worldly inventions. It's amazing how these "abductions" increase in frequency around big cultural events like blockbuster space movies like ET and Close Encounters.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:55   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As Europeans technology increased , it expanded its presence all over the world , it’s entirely likely to postulate that if there are advanced civilisations , we would have seen them by now. Even the prairie dog recognises humans even if the “ gun “ is unfathomable to it

The alternative is we are the “ advanced civilisation “ , a fact that seems to disturb some people.
And if they, the aliens, just want to watch us? Or maybe do crazy stuff and see how we react? Maybe we are just lab rats to them.

Ir maybe they can move in a dimension we can not fathom.

It is a fine thing to try to understand what they are up to. It is hubris to assume we can figure it out. We can only look upon them from our perspective, their perspective may be unimaginably different.

If they exist at all.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:16   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The diversity of mankind on this planet defies the Adam and Eve story......the Chinese.....the Japanese....the Africans....the Europeans.....the Maori's....the Aborigines...the Aztecs...the Amazons,....the list is endless...each with their "own" culture, language, customs, history, beliefs, etc, did we all spring from the same font ??

How could this be possible ??

How many different cultures, nations, languages are there in Europe alone ??? Living side by side, yet ever so different.

Did aliens arrive from different parts of space to spawn this wide diversity ??...hmmm....the mind boggles..

Interestingly, the people of this planet excel in killing each other, often for no reason at all...no, not love each other, and live in peace and harmony, but kill each other...

Was watching a show the other day about the number of nuclear weapons that abound on this planet...1,000's of them...each one capable of killing 500,000 people at a pop.
We've mastered the art of mass killing...but have no idea how to live peacefully alongside each other.....don't stomp on my turf, buddy.....I'll stomp ya...

I honestly don't have a clue.....

Beam me up, Scotty.....there is no intelligent life down here.....
Old 05-01-2021, 11:27   #58
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Look at all of the depictions of aliens and space in ancient art. Look at the myths of Roman and Greek gods. Look at the story of Moses and the burning bush. Humans were probably a result of genetic modifications by aliens using their genes plus earthly genes. That would explain the evolutionary gap that leaves scientists baffled.
The theories of Zecharia Sitchin could hold truth.
Look at the J.D.R. photo and try telling me that he is not at least part space alien. It would explain a lot.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:43   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are we alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The diversity of mankind on this planet defies the Adam and Eve story......the Chinese.....the Japanese....the Africans....the Europeans.....the Maori's....the Aborigines...the Aztecs...the Amazons,....the list is endless...each with their "own" culture, language, customs, history, beliefs, etc, did we all spring from the same font ??

How could this be possible ??

How many different cultures, nations, languages are there in Europe alone ??? Living side by side, yet ever so different.

Did aliens arrive from different parts of space to spawn this wide diversity ??...hmmm....the mind boggles..

Interestingly, the people of this planet excel in killing each other, often for no reason at all...no, not love each other, and live in peace and harmony, but kill each other...

Was watching a show the other day about the number of nuclear weapons that abound on this planet...1,000's of them...each one capable of killing 500,000 people at a pop.
We've mastered the art of mass killing...but have no idea how to live peacefully alongside each other.....don't stomp on my turf, buddy.....I'll stomp ya...

I honestly don't have a clue.....

Beam me up, Scotty.....there is no intelligent life down here.....
We'll it's as valid as the Rift Valley theory.. there's whole papers on that.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:46   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post

Look at the J.D.R. photo and try telling me that he is not at least part space alien. It would explain a lot.
I see the humour, in your contribution, but it's not based upon reality.
John D. Rockefeller suffered from alopecia. Beginning in his 40s, Rockefeller lost all the hair from his head, his mustache and his body. The hair never grew back, and in the early 1900s the tycoon began to wear rotating wigs of various lengths to give the impression of his hair growing and being shorn.

Closed Thread