Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2019, 00:42   #16

Re: Zingaro is wrecked

That looks like a very expensive repair bill. Maybe its time to retire the old girl.

I have been following them for about 1 year.
yotano211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 02:32   #17

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hope it can be done DIY.

James is talented (and Kimmi too) and I hope the funds are enough for storage and materials.
Would be really ashame to see Zingaro trashed.
Still maybe there is some alternative around, who knows. We'll here from them, that I'm sure off!
Old 29-12-2019, 03:54   #18

Just saw the pictures on the Patreon page. That looks really really bad. I am surprised there was no tophat section of sorts on the bulkhead cutouts.
Did the beam fail first?
Repair would amount to a rebuild of the hull & beam. Can be done, but only with sizeable funds in terms of time & money.
Someone will fall in love with her and do it, even if it's not you.

You guys might end up on a monohull for some time I fear. They are cheaper than cats. Maybe get a mono for now, and swap it further down the line.
Unless a yard or broker chimes in and helps you to a "la Vagabondeish" deal that is.

At least you are in a place where you may find a decent used boat. On a tiny island in the Pacific that would be more difficult and you would have a hard time to get at least a maximum amount of gear transferred.

I'd offer you to use my boat for a year but you are on the other end off the world right now, so that does probably not make sense.

Cross all fingers for a good solution!!!

Just posted your Patreon page amongst my LinkedIn network. Who knows, maybe it helps... :-)
Old 29-12-2019, 06:14   #19

What I have seen on the published pics, it could be the the cross beam that has given up....and then it all just collapsed.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 07:14   #20

good luck, fix it and make it better¡¡ cheers j
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 08:32   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow made it into port with a broken boat.. perfect. not many can accomplish this feat... good work. now the real work begins--reasons for fail and repairing fail to become success... way to go .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 10:51   #22

Boat: EDELCAT33

Looking at the 4 pictures, looks like a half rebuilt of one hull. BS1089 Okume plywood is not cheap, my guess he will need at least 8 8x10, epoxy, et al - $6k to $8K plus yard costs.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:31   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Looking at the 4 pictures, looks like a half rebuilt of one hull. BS1089 Okume plywood is not cheap, my guess he will need at least 8 8x10, epoxy, et al - $6k to $8K plus yard costs.

Hulls are foam cored, I believe Airex. Rest of the boat is marine for plywood
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:08   #24

First of all I am for the most part a fan of the show and I am so glad that you two are okay and I am sorry about the boat.
I am pretty new to sailing so forgive my ignorance. I have heard of plywood catamarans, is that building material common for cat's?
wileycoyote805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileycoyote805 View Post
First of all I am for the most part a fan of the show and I am so glad that you two are okay and I am sorry about the boat.
I am pretty new to sailing so forgive my ignorance. I have heard of plywood catamarans, is that building material common for cat's?
Ply/glass used to be very popular for self built boats. Other materials like cored glass and carbon fibre are becoming more popular these days.

For production boats, its pretty much always been glass, although in modern high end boats carbon fibre is also being used.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 14:54   #26

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ply/glass used to be very popular for self built boats. Other materials like cored glass and carbon fibre are becoming more popular these days.

For production boats, its pretty much always been glass, although in modern high end boats carbon fibre is also being used.
We have several glass/ply boats in our club ,some of which are pushing 50 years ,but all of which where well built and maintained
Old 01-01-2020, 15:49   #27

It very much depends on the type of plywood. If it's marine grade, it will last very very long.
Exterior grade less so unless thoroughly glassed or epoxied over...
Old 01-01-2020, 16:28   #28

Boat: Island Packet 40

Few days work.

Pull it all back in place. Whack a bit of woven roving over the torn bits. Install fillets to properly tie the hulls to the bridge deck. And, they'll be back sailing in a week.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 16:35   #29

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Few days work.

Pull it all back in place. Whack a bit of woven roving over the torn bits. Install fillets to properly tie the hulls to the bridge deck. And, they'll be back sailing in a week.
I need you in my Catamaran Project. What's your availability?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 20:23   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I need you in my Catamaran Project. What's your availability?
I'm a monohull sort of bloke and very suspicious of the poor engineering which appears to go into the design of some multihulls.

Looking at the images provided leads one to suspect that insufficient attention was given to the hull to bridge deck join. Whilst I have never owned a multihull I have been on a few of them and noticed the prevalence of cracking in the hull to bridge deck joins on a number of them.

The two successful naval architecture philosophies in this area appear to be the use of comparatively fairly solid, limited section beams ie Wharam, or the largish, high section modulus box beams which dominate more modern designs.

Modern composites are fantastic materials in the design and construction freedoms they allow. However whilst they do allow the design and construction of very light, low maintenance structures the lack of framing compared with older construction methods does throw up challenges from the viewpoint of load distribution: other than the occasional bulkhead there is often no framing available to assist with load distribution.

The image of the beam to hull join which has failed suggests that whilst a bulkhead was exploited to transfer loads from null to bridge deck chopping a dirty great hole in the bulkhead, to be able to access the head, was not a good idea but that filleting hull to bridge deck along the entire length of the hull/bridge deck might fix the stress concentration problem the hole caused.

The opinion was expressed tight heartedly but I think it probable that the subject vessel could be salvaged.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote