Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 20:07   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
I guess this thread is referring to a mental workout?
As Juvenal said: "mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 14-01-2017, 20:07   #77

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
I guess this thread is referring to a mental workout?
Nope, it's just been shamelessly derailed.
Old 14-01-2017, 20:23   #78
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

acta non verba
Old 14-01-2017, 20:46   #79

Oh my god the replies to the biblical fundie proselytizing guy with a mission are amazing. Please keep them coming. And to the biblical proselytizing guy with a mission: I recall my favorite bumper sticker that states simply "oh god please save me from your followers!"

Back to the subject of the thread: I have two serious questions. Does anyone have a simple plan for rigging a part of a bmx bike to generators so we can home rig an exercise device that might work for hands as well as feet while providing juice under way? And second. Is there a plan we might have that anyone has built for a Chinese oar that can come apart and be stowed on deck. Might come in handy in a pinch plus it's also great exercise while making a couple of knots maybe.
Old 14-01-2017, 22:37   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Try studying the Bible. That is a workout more needed in this sinful world than body exercise. Chauncey 'BUDDY' Freeman, Senior Chief, U.S.Navy,Retired (2 Timothy 2:15,16 KJV) 2 Timothy 2:15-16King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
Praying to the higher power is something I think most sailors do. In times of danger even most atheists pray. I remember a writer refering to the WW1. He said that there are no atheists in the fox hole.

Without getting bogged down into what ones individual religous persuasion is. Especially in this highly intolerant world of religous fantic murderers we now live in.

I would think it would be an interesting discussion to ask sailors how many find religion/pray when in horrible and life threatening seas. Is it true that like the writer says, there are no atheists in the fox hole or I would add there are no atheists in a storm rounding the Cape of Good Hope.

Being on the ocean in a sailboat with gale force winds and 15 feet breaking waves is a come to religion moment. That is after having done all things humanely possible before and during to survive. Checking rigging befire departure and knowing how to deploy drogues etc.

Personally, nature has a huge humiliating effect on me. Wether standing in an ancient bush of thousand year old trees or days out in the middle of the Atlantic and looking up at the night sky, I always have a sense of littleness come over me. I realize all of my own pride and self importance is foolishness.

So for me my most amazing Cathedral / Synagogue is the expanse of nature where I get a glimpse of the infinite.

To conclude. I think most long time sailors have gotten religion not from studying one religions book but by direct instruction on the seas of the world.

IMHO
Old 14-01-2017, 22:53   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Really hi-jacking the thread now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I would think it would be an interesting discussion to ask sailors how many find religion/pray when in horrible and life threatening seas. Is it true that like the writer says, there are no atheists in the fox hole or I would add there are no atheists in a storm rounding the Cape of Good Hope.
There was always at least one athiest in my foxhole.
Never rounded the Cape, but I've been in a few storms and never looked for a god then either.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:15   #82

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Get up, stretch and do rounds once an hour. Bilges, engine room, head, deck, scan horizon, check weather, trim sail. Underway there is plenty to push and pull on.

Dumbbells don't take up a lot of room. The exercise ones anyway.

People of faith are no harder to respect than IT weenies.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:26   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Really hi-jacking the thread now.

There was always at least one athiest in my foxhole.
Never rounded the Cape, but I've been in a few storms and never looked for a god then either.
Not wanting to do a thread hijack. While the religous poster giving his written sermon on a discussion of working out while underway was very bizarre. It was also bizarre that I read it today sitting in a Salon in Shanghai having my hair done.

Personally I think a calisthenics regime along with lightweight dumbells, elastic rubber bands and I do like the under desk portable bike exerciser. For underway of course.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:59   #84

A passage on a small boat would be a poor place for a boxer to get his road work in. OTOH I have put in many a mile running circles on a helideck.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:00   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
People of faith are no harder to respect than IT weenies.
They are very hard to respect when the start proselytizing in a forum like this.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:04   #86

Working Out While Underway

I too am a non-believer and it isn't hard if you try. I have worked with many a highly productive prayer rug guy. You never know, we could be wrong and need someone to put in a good word for us when our time comes.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:08   #87

Btw, I have put in time as an ITW and feel I am allowed. Kinda like the "N" word.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:32   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I too am a non-believer and it isn't hard if you try. I have worked with many a highly productive prayer rug guy. You never know, we could be wrong and need someone to put in a good word for us when our time comes.
I don't know.. he sounds a bit Kim Jong to me with the ego.. "You did not bow and scrape every day.." so yes..
I'd rather hang out in the bar with the warm fire..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-01-2017, 07:20   #89
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
They are very hard to respect when the start proselytizing in a forum like this.
As are those weenies who feel they must demean and disrespect what they clearly are too ignorant to understand.

Understand this: The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." Psalm 14:1

Then understand this: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16,17

BTW I assume the murderers spoken of by walkabout are those actually doing that, not all those who claim religion.

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." John 3:19,20
Old 15-01-2017, 07:45   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
As are those weenies who feel they must demean and disrespect what they clearly are too ignorant to understand.

Understand this: The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." Psalm 14:1

Then understand this: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16,17

BTW I assume the murderers spoken of by walkabout are those actually doing that, not all those who claim religion.

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." John 3:19,20
LOL.. brings to mind the Vietnam Padre at the end of the service.. "Kill a Gook for god.."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread