Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2023, 10:02   #1

Witch boat?

Ok so long story short it looks like me and my wife are going to take a year off from life and cruise around the keys and bahamas. Neither of us have ever lived on a boat, Neither of us have any sailing experience, I grew up on the water fishing offshore so I'm not new to boats but would be new to the size of some of these boats. But I can't seem to make up my mind on what boat to get, we really like the size of the cabins on catamarans but having zero sailing experience makes me a little nervous. Trawlers are another option but then what happens after we have to move back to land, I feel like it would sit without being used except for a couple trips a year. A sport fishing boat is another option I have been thinking about since it would still get used after we moved back on to land but it doesn't seem like many people even consider a sport fishing boat to live on. Also the budget on the boat is 100k or less and the last thing I want to do it end up spending 100k on a boat and then find out I have to spend another 50k to make is safe and comfortable.
Johnny chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 10:18   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Witch boat?

well $100k is enough, especially if it was a witch boat as sailors are superstitious
Old 15-11-2023, 10:32   #3

Which lol
Old 15-11-2023, 10:38   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny chop View Post
Which lol
I figured

But really $100k is enough. I have been thinking of moving to the dark side and would probably sell my boat for the $80s and buyer could cruise as it is (we do/are) or could replace the rigging and upgrade the electronics and still be under $100k
Old 15-11-2023, 11:41   #5

What is it?
Old 15-11-2023, 12:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Witch boat?

Quote:
What is it?
Its in his info beneath his Avatar.. a Hunter 410..
Something you should fill in as well, it helps to know where in the world you are.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 15:24   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its in his info beneath his Avatar.. a Hunter 410..
sounds like a death trap
Old 16-11-2023, 04:03   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
we really like the size of the cabins on catamarans but having zero sailing experience makes me a little nervous. Trawlers are another option but then what happens after we have to move back to land, I feel like it would sit without being used except for a couple trips a year. A sport fishing boat is another option I have been thinking about since it would still get used after we moved back on to land but it doesn't seem like many people even consider a sport fishing boat to live on. Also the budget on the boat is 100k or less and the last thing I want to do it end up spending 100k on a boat and then find out I have to spend another 50k to make is safe and comfortable.

You might also ask on trawlerforum.com (sister site).

Generally, it helps to pin down the kind and amount of space you think you might need, and the potential layouts that might work for you... then look for/at boats that might fit those ideas. If you go power, the Powerboat Guide might help.

Sportfishers -- and sport bridge, sedan bridge, etc. boats -- often have larger engine to run on plane... and the potential fuel consumption puts many shoppers off. OTOH, they can often be run slow in "trawler" mode at much lower fuel consumption -- though planing hulls aren't comfortable in all sea states. (That said, non-stabilized full- and semi-displacement hulls might not be great in all sea states, either.)

$100K might be doable, but... I'd suspect that might mean a $50K boat and $50K worth of immediate fixes. Have to be judicious about examining and evaluating candidates in advance...

-Chris
Old 16-11-2023, 04:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Witch boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
sounds like a death trap
Of course it is.. everyone knows Bendi Toys Rool..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat