Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30   #46

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: What Toilet??

I don't think there is any universal one size fits all answer. If there was, we wouldn't see the diversity of marine head systems we do. I think what system is best depends on where your boat will be, your temperament and your own finances.

For short term cruising on the Great Lakes, I had a composting head. For that situation, it worked great. It meant less weight and and smaller holding tank (small trimaran). Since my cruises were short, I never had to empty the compost bin, but could let it finish composing while not cruising.

For ocean cruising however, I personally much prefer to simply open a valve and have waste flow out, to dragging containers of urine and only partially composted feces topside to manually throw over.

Look at your own situation and consider:

1. Can you legally and ethically discharge overboard?

2. How convenient and expensive are pump outs?

3. How easy is it to properly dispose of composting waste?

4. Do the advantages of change, justify the cost of a new system? (I can install a new traditional head, holding tank with gravity feed cheaper than a composting head).

5. What's your personal view on head maintenance? Do you mind hauling waste out to dispose of, or would you rather let it drain out? How much will it bother you to someday have to swap out a failing head pump? How will guests play into your decision?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil