Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03   #1

Boat: Sunk by Irma
Eau Gallie - FWC Busts 15

"FWC caught the captains on the nights of May 9 and May 10, by putting dye tabs in the boat toilets, flushing them, then watching the dye flow out the bottom of the boat."

FWC sting nets 15 citations for boaters' raw sewage

I'm just curious how this type of thing goes down. FWC shows up and boards boats that are occupied? Unoccupied? Two nights in a row and word doesn't get around? You would think as soon as the FWC shows up that offenders would be scurrying about.

I'm guessing that putting dye in the bowl and pumping is the easiest way to check if someone has removed a through hull valve handle with the valve in the open position with the intention they would lie and say it was closed?

Even three miles offshore I never leave the valve open, only open it when in use. Removing the handle never seemed like a good idea to me. Electrical wire ties locking the handle off seem like a better way to be in complicance.

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Eau Gallie - FWC Busts 15

I get it that the coast guard and the secret service can board your boat anytime they want, but water cops? Wouldn't they need a search warrant?

Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:45   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I get it that the coast guard and the secret service can board your boat anytime they want, but water cops? Wouldn't they need a search warrant?
FWC can board to search for illegal harvesting of sea food. While they are limited to some extent in where they can search they can always call LEOs from other agencies if something looks wrong. They can also do a safety inspection, especially if they see something they thing is dangerous; like feet/legs over the side, excessive speed, and a host of other things.

What a lot of folks seem to be missing is just where and why these stops take place. In the case of Eau Gallie the article linked to noted that there were complaints to FDEP who contacted FWC to help find who was violating laws. A lot of the stops are the result of complaints to the LEOs or obvious dangerous boating. I bought my current boat in 2012 and have been living on it and cruising from the Keys to the Panhandle for almost five years. Never been boarded once and have only seen it a few times that I could count on one hand. There were several incidents in BKH where the FWC "raided" the harbor at night but in those cases there were obvious issues and I suspect complaints that caused the raids.

I have to say I would have no issue with more enforcement as it is very common for me to see bozos operating boats in very unsafe manners.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:55   #4

Boat: Sunk by Irma

Article says "Florida environmental cops staked out the river for two nights and wrote 15 citations for captains letting the toilets flow right into the river" so I assume that means they waited until night when liveaboards would be home from work.

Doesn't mention any other law enforcement agencies, maybe they have expanded powers?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 14:08   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Many cruising waters down here are classified as OFW (Outstanding Florida Waters), where no discharge permitted. Both local police and FWC enforce and random stops for inspection of thru hull valves and dye tests are becoming standard. Respect the environment, buy the proper equipment and you wont have any issues.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 14:40   #6

Boat: Custom 55

They're just catching up to southern California. A few years ago, we stopped in Santa Barbara, and the harbormaster for the marina was also some kind of LEO. Dye tabs were tossed in to every head of every boat checking in.

We were 'tabbed' a number of times on the W. coast. Channel islands do it too.

I think this will become more and more common, for better or worse.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:16   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Bravo for the water cops. I hope the fines are huge. Anybody dumb enough to **** where he eats deserves zero sympathy.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Bravo for the water cops. I hope the fines are huge. Anybody dumb enough to **** where he eats deserves zero sympathy.
You know it's funny that a coast guard station can be caught dumping a countless amount of poop and waste "accidently " into the water. No repurcussions, Tampa sewage treatment plant can dump 29 million gallons (+/- a few million) I to Tampa Bay, no repurcussions. And yet tens of thousands of our tax dollars will continue to be wasted to catch a handful of boaters who dump, and then glorify it with an article like they saved the world.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 14:20   #9
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Intermittent/accidental vs continuous/deliberate.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 14:48   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...r-for-20-years

20 years at 100 + gallons per (just shy of 800,000 gallons of waste, by people being trained in identifying improper waste handling ) isn't exactly Intermittent , if it were you or I, we'd have the book thrown at us.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 14:55   #11

I'm guessing for every human that uses the water there are possibly a million sea creatures, maybe more maybe less. They all poop too, how can humans possibly cause any harm by adding their organic material to the water.
Plastic.......now that's a different matter.
erika sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 15:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ecoli is I think an issue with human waste. I'm sure there are others.
It's one thing to discharge in open ocean and another to do so in an estuary.
However where I am there are many, many boats in marinas without pump out boats, and they never move. Only one reasonable explanation, yet there is no enforcement, and these Marinas are in Bayous with almost no currents
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 17:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Having some background in water treatment plants...

Intermittent with hundreds of thousands of gallons can cause huge environmental impacts and heath concerns for those who contact the water in a wide area.

Continuous with negligible quantity will never have an environmental impact and is unlikely to have a health concern.

Also, these plants are designed to overflow during storm events so hardly can call it an accident.

Pursuing boaters is a feel good policy that costs far less than correcting the real issues. It's also sometimes used to chase off undesirable boaters.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 17:09   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's to bad the feds would not approve the electo san system. It was a really good answer and probably could have been improved upon and become pretty cheap.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 17:41   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

There are two marinas on the Eau Galle river and I am currently staying at the transient dock at one of them. They both have a significant number of live aboards. The one I am staying at has pumpout fittings at the slips so IMHO there's no excuse for an open head valve. The other marina is at the bottom of a hill and only has a 30 gallon hand truck mounted tank which must be pushed up a 20 ft hill to empty which discourages a lot of live aboards from pumping out. I think the city should make the guy put in a proper pump out system even if the boats have to move to a Tdock to use it. There are only two public pump outs within 20 miles and sometimes neither is working. The one at the Melbourne marina is owned by the nastiest marina owner I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If you own a sailboat you have to put up with a tirade of how sailboat owners are cheap sob's who want everything free and never rent slips and don't buy enough fuel to make it worth walking down the dock. I should note that his marina has only one Tdock which is occupied by a resident boat and no other slips wide enough for my cat yet I had to listen to his tirade anyway. Also note that I don't go there anymore. The other marina is about 3 miles away and charges $25 for a pump out. This area is not a no discharge zone so Electrosans are legal here. The marina that I am in gives free pumpouts for non-resident boats, but to do so their one transient dock must be unoccupied.

Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote