Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 09:11   #1

Boat: S2-35C
Trying to reason with hurricane season

I'm into my second year in FL, I spent May '22 till Jan '23 stuck in Jax, long story. On the Chesapeake, there is rarely an issue getting dock space months out.
I'm now in Daytona Beach looking for a place to hide from Hurricanes for the June or July into November. I've called just about every where from Daytona to Stuart with no luck. I've considered bouncing down more short term but then run the risk of no availability or denied if a hurricane is rolling in. What does everyone down this way do? No I don't want to go back north, it was enough of a bitch getting here.
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:47   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Trying to reason with hurricane season

were you stuck in Jax because of weather? are you live aboard? seems like hiding in north Florida would be a lot better than Daytona. Did you check the Titusville and Cocoa area? just my 2 cents
Old 01-05-2023, 09:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Several marina's in the St. Augustine/J'ville, Fernandina/Green Cove Springs area.
As far as I know, plenty of slips available..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 20:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
were you stuck in Jax because of weather? are you live aboard? seems like hiding in north Florida would be a lot better than Daytona. Did you check the Titusville and Cocoa area? just my 2 cents
No, I was stuck in Jax getting an engine replacement by Moe, Larry and Currly. I've checked all you mention. Looks like I found a good hole in Palm Coast. Very sheltered harbor ringed wire condos.
Old 01-05-2023, 20:53   #5

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
No, I was stuck in Jax getting an engine replacement by Moe, Larry and Currly.
When did they stop doing brain surgery?
Old 02-05-2023, 06:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yeah...I like that marina at Palm coast...looks quite well protected..probably as good as you can find anywhere....I shoulda mentioned it
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:03   #7

Boat: Hunter 380

Where are you staying in Daytona Beach? Halifax Harbor Marina is one of the most "hurricane proof".....if there is such a thing....marinas in Florida. No marina is safe from a direct hit. However, on the 3 that have skimmed past Daytona Beach, we have had zero damage, and the boats around us that did the right storm preparation, had the same result.
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:29   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Palm Coast is reasonably safe, but it's an awful long way to an inlet where you can get outside and actually sail. That's probably part of the reason it's safer than other spots, but problematic if you don't want to have to motor for a day just to get to an inlet.

I know you said you didn't want to go north, but just a little north of you is Brunswick Landing Marina in Brunswick GA, which is reasonably safe for most hurricanes. (As has been pointed out, there is no such thing as a "hurricane-proof" marina.) And it has reasonably good access to the Atlantic.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:07   #9

If your draft is fairly shallow some of the backyard home docks in the Las Olas area of Ft Lauderdale come available. Especially if you are not living aboard.

Ditto fo back canals in West Palm area behind houses . A local broker there may know a place, or maybe Craig's List?

The Space Coast up near Merritt Isl, Canaveral area often has availability, but it's a ways up there and getting back out to the ocean is a long trip. Which is probably good for hurricane protection.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boles View Post
Where are you staying in Daytona Beach? Halifax Harbor Marina is one of the most "hurricane proof".....if there is such a thing....marinas in Florida. No marina is safe from a direct hit. However, on the 3 that have skimmed past Daytona Beach, we have had zero damage, and the boats around us that did the right storm preparation, had the same result.
I'm at Halifax until 5/20/23. They are telling me they don't have room after that.And yes, it's a very nice marina.

Tags
hurricane