Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48   #1

Send a message via MSN to Matthewm0311
Transitioning to a 'Liveaboard' Lifestyle

I'm looking for a quality sailboat and would like recommendations on a good manufacturer. Something used in the 40' range. My budget is 90-150K, reasonable? (I was looking at Jeanneau's and Beneteau's)

I plan to live aboard for a while and keep to the waters of the east coast. Until I feel comfortable to venture out (Caribbean, South America, and eventually the Mediterranean) I admit I don't know much, but I'm eager and willing to learn. Yes, I've heard owning a boat is like throwing money overboard. But I also heard that some quality boats hold their value if well maintained and upgraded regularly. I may be naive and too optimistic for some people, but I realized you only live once from a combat tour in Iraq where I came very close to loosing my life many times. I will be getting out of the Marine Corps with a disability pension for the rest of my life and I just cannot go back to a routine redundant life where i just go through the motions everyday. This has been my dream for as long as i can remember and I am willing to make all the sacrifices I have to.

Any advice or critizism you "saltdogs" can offer will truly be appreciated.

THANK YOU
Sgt Mitchell
Matthewm0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:23   #2

Welcome

You have to start somewhere, so go here:

1980 hunter Boats For Sale

There are many, many other choices. If you can afford it, I recommend a crewed charter in BVI. You will have no trouble finding a Beneteau, you will learn alot, you will get a fair idea of what living on a boat and cruising through paradise is really like, and you will have a blast.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53   #3

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Personally;and I'm biased, I think one of the best value out there is a Westsail. Solid boats, can eaisly be sailed anywhere, comfortable, track well and look good. They're in your price range and a beautiful one is TRUELOVE - WESTSAIL 43 .

For Westsails in general http://www.westsail.com/forsale/ and for an active owners group try WOA Web Site .

Happy shopping, almost as much fun as owning.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 15:33   #4

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
My Catalina 42 happens to be currently for sale, if you're interested. It's in your price range, and an excellent boat. We are moving to a larger boat, but have enjoyed this one. You can find it in the classified section here, and I can send photos on request. Send a private message if interested.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:28   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewm0311 View Post
. Something used in the 40' range. My budget is 90-150K, reasonable? (I was looking at Jeanneau's and Beneteau's)
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a Beneteau 393 and love it!!!!!! You will find great Beneteaus for the upper end of your budget on the continetal USA.
Give yourself a good look at the Jeneaus. We didnt go for them as there isnt as much interior light as the Beneteaus. I took a bunch of photos of Nicolle at the Boat Show in B's and J's and her face is more animated in the B's! Call that a weird way of making a decision but its true!

We are currently sailing the world and we wouldn't be in anything else than our boat

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome to cruisers forum Mathew and good luck on your boat decision. As you can tell there will be no lack of opinions on what to buy. We love spending other people's moeny ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:52   #7

thank you

Sgt Mitchell
I'm new to sailing myself so I can't offer much advice, but would like to take a minute to offer my gratitude for your service.
Thank You
Dave
cabledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 19:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Welcome

You have to start somewhere, so go here:

1980 hunter Boats For Sale

There are many, many other choices. If you can afford it, I recommend a crewed charter in BVI. You will have no trouble finding a Beneteau, you will learn alot, you will get a fair idea of what living on a boat and cruising through paradise is really like, and you will have a blast.
That's a great idea! Unfortunately I can not afford that, I am saving every penny I get for a down payment on my boat. But a year ago I went on a "float" in the Mediterranean and the east coast of Africa (I even got a chance to see the infamous pirates of the coast of Somalia) and It was just amazing but then again their is a huge difference between a 11,000 ton ship and a 40' sailboat.
Old 07-09-2008, 19:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
My Catalina 42 happens to be currently for sale, if you're interested. It's in your price range, and an excellent boat. We are moving to a larger boat, but have enjoyed this one. You can find it in the classified section here, and I can send photos on request. Send a private message if interested.

Oh ok I'm familiar with the Catalina 42's. Is yours 2 or 3 cabins? I am interested but I am not in the market just, I am waiting for a few things to finalize (Medical Boards, and separation for the military, I still have 6 months left) I am just doing my research right now.
Old 07-09-2008, 19:28   #10

Thanks Dan, Yeah I can see that. lol
Old 07-09-2008, 19:33   #11

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
Personally;and I'm biased, I think one of the best value out there is a Westsail. Solid boats, can eaisly be sailed anywhere, comfortable, track well and look good. They're in your price range and a beautiful one is TRUELOVE - WESTSAIL 43 .

For Westsails in general http://www.westsail.com/forsale/ and for an active owners group try WOA Web Site .

Happy shopping, almost as much fun as owning.
Beautiful boat ,to bad i already bought one . I notice you have a Hydrovane ,how did you like it ? I'm going to to get one for my boat, so any feedback will be highly appreciated.
Regards, Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:39   #12

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Henry,
I don't have the Hydrovane, I have the Sailomat 601. At this point I love it. But have only used it one day. We're leaving on our million day weekend cruise this month sometime so I'll report more on it as I use it more. The Sailomat is not really an aux rudder and the new model Sailomat is. Personally I don't really like the idea of attaching to the boat for general control of steering. I think it's ok for emergency steering. Be that as it may the new Sailomat is similar to the Hydrovane in that it steers w/ its own rudder. I liked the idea on the Sailomat that it only needed 4 bolts and that I didn't have all the extra apendages of the Monitor or Aires to attach it. Don't know if Turelove has a Hydrovane or not, just didn't look that closely; but, Truelove isn't my boat.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13   #13

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Matthew,
Our Catalina 42 is a 3-cabin model.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07   #14

Boat: Columbia sloop 24
You are a true hero Matthew! We are also a military family and hope to set sail in the near future. War has that effect on people. I hope you find your dreamboat!
wannabesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 09:24   #15

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Matthew,
Most of the boats mentioned earlier were 40'+. I have a very nice 1980 Hunter Cherubini 37' for sale. We bought a 46' cutter this year. You can see my Hunter on Yachtworld - located in Stockton Mo. This is an excellent, solid, good sailing lower cost crusing boat. When you are ready, give it a look!

That Westdail was gorgeous!
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard