Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 16:09   #16
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some very dear friends and 'Helianthe' (Sunflower)
ok, but ummm, less is more???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You could always go with thecheap and cheerful "low-buck carribean cruiser" colour scheme:

thats the link I tryed to show
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You could always go with thecheap and cheerful "low-buck carribean cruiser" colour scheme:

LOL.... thats something else,,,

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL.... thats something else,,,
thats an extream case...but I like primary colors and think my boats interior would look nice with blue-green-orange and reds.

the photos arent that bad...funny yes but in no way ugly...we the livaboards are the most colorful peoples I know...plain white dont seem representative.
Old 10-01-2011, 17:11   #20

Forget interiors; it's exteriors that are the real issue. Marinas and anchorages these days are like the floor of a whitegoods factory. Not only are so many vessels identical - thanks to the mould - but they are also identical in colour (or lack of it). Even the motor car is available in a multitude of colours, notwithstanding that the fashion gurus do direct preferences for the herd.

Boaties by legend are supposed to be dogged individuals who refute the herd - so ain't it time then to demand at least some extra choice in colour from the builders?
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 17:35   #21

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I think you've missed the fact that a couple of other people have already answered that. Exterior colours look AWFUL after a few years UV damage. You can always add a bit of colour to your accesories, sail covers, dodgers, spray hoods, etc. You do get the odd coloufull boat about, I recently saw an older motorsailor that had a bright yellow hull, actualy, looked a lot better than it sounds!

Back on the interior topic, it is pretty much about the sence of space and the market as well. Anyone with an 'imaginative' colour scheme like the one pictured above, will have a hell of a time selling it later on.
Old 10-01-2011, 18:45   #22

Back on the interior topic, it is pretty much about the sence of space and the market as well. Anyone with an 'imaginative' colour scheme like the one pictured above, will have a hell of a time selling it later on.[/QUOTE]

a sence of space...isnt it just that? I mean the space is the same regardless of color...someone comented about the dark teak interior...its not diferent then say a deep blue??...I was looking to buy a choey lee 25 and the entire interior was dark wood, farthermore the boat hade only 4 smaller portlights limiting luminence...and still the interior was nice.

one thing that would bother me is entering a dark cabin for safty reasons.
Old 10-01-2011, 19:27   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think there is much more to yacht Interior Design than just Color.

Texture and the feeling of craftsmanship will allow your eyes to roam over your small ship, while sipping a single malt, to give you that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction.

Wood is a commitment to maintenance, but nicely balanced with a light headliner, there is a natural warmth and personality that paint will never match.

I think for a visitor, your eyes first take in how the accents compliment the main panels and the floor/ceiling, but when living on board, you have a much more detailed appreciation.

I prefer the boat to feel alive with subtle natural differences that ages along with myself.

Varnished wood is not necessarily dark as you can see below on StarGazer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GALLEY TO PILOTHOUSE.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	22717   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilothouse sitting area.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	22718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DESK.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	22719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	22720  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think there is much more to yacht Interior Design than just Color.

Texture and the feeling of craftsmanship will allow your eyes to roam over your small ship, while sipping a single malt, to give you that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction.

Wood is a commitment to maintenance, but nicely balanced with a light headliner, there is a natural warmth and personality that paint will never match.

I think for a visitor, your eyes first take in how the accents compliment the main panels and the floor/ceiling, but when living on board, you have a much more detailed appreciation.

I prefer the boat to feel alive with subtle natural differences that ages along with myself.

Varnished wood is not necessarily dark as you can see below on StarGazer.
Thats poetry...and very true!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 20:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Exterior colours look AWFUL after a few years UV damage. Anyone with an 'imaginative' colour scheme like the one pictured above, will have a hell of a time selling it later on.
Coloured hulls were popular once and will be again. The wheel will turn - guaranteed.

There was nothing especially wiser about choices back then. Truth is that it was just the fashion, but backed up with the (rational) argument that it hid contact marks on the hull and therefore required less maintainence...

Today the 'choice' of white is also just fashion, backed up by (rational) arguments like colour looks awful after a while.

A stonger argument though, no matter what the current fashion, is resale value - he market is of course bigger, and the price higher, for items that fit with the current fashion.

The attitude of current boat popping industry reminds me of the old Henry Ford adage: "You can have any colour you like, provided it's black".

And consumers fell into line - you couldn't give away a white car in those days. Same with plastic boats now IMHO.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 20:30   #26
cruiser

other then 'weat and tear' being a bit more then autos, I dont see how uv and or other sunlight would be different from automoble paint.

My '99 chevy blazer has a metallic 'forest green' exterior with clear coat, and the truck looks as good as it did when i bought her 11+ years ago... I know that not all colors from Chevy held up this well, and some are down right poor... but generally speaking every other blazer of this color looks just as good...

It is the forumlation that makes the pain perform better along with the preperation for that specific material.

so, I dont see how exopsure can be an issue.

And for my boat, and what i presume most similar boat owners, would be able to do this every 5+ years, as 'regular' maintenance...

I would more then willing to do this every five years on my own boat, except for one small thing...

I lack serious imagination and creativity... but other then that, I have done some faux settings, and patina, marbilizing, and lots of otehr 'creative' looking things in my past... but then, i had sketches and people to approve as I went a long...

but for me to create something cool and flashy would have to be a copy...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33   #27

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
other then 'weat and tear' being a bit more then autos, I dont see how uv and or other sunlight would be different from automoble paint.

My '99 chevy blazer has a metallic 'forest green' exterior with clear coat, and the truck looks as good as it did when i bought her 11+ years ago... I know that not all colors from Chevy held up this well, and some are down right poor... but generally speaking every other blazer of this color looks just as good...

It is the forumlation that makes the pain perform better along with the preperation for that specific material.

so, I dont see how exopsure can be an issue.
I can see how you might think that but a marine environment is VERY different for a number of reasons.

1. Your Chevy didn't spend most of it's time sat in salt water.

2. Vehicles are not subject to the extremes of weather that a boat is.

3. The vast majority of pleasure craft these days are made from GRP. This is very different from a painted steel car body. GRP flexes and so cracking and peeling is almost inevitable over time, leading to repairs having to be done. Therefore, when new, they are not painted at all but rather the colour is imbedded in the gelcoat itself. This is more vunerable to UV damage. The effect on a lighter colour like white looks less noticable than a darker colour. Ever seen a late '90's Benateau with a dark blue hull? Most look pretty tired even though they've been looked after.

4. A car's body generaly doesnt have to put up with the physical wear and tear that a boats hull has. You don't have big rubber fenders rubbing along the sides of it and you're less likely to to be hitting things like floating debris, etc. A car's lovely smooth paint finish wouldn't last a few months given that treatment. Once a surface it damaged, virtualy any colour is very hard to match perfectly, white is one of the easiest to blend in for a repair.

5. Maintainance. Once a hull is painted, it will need repainting every couple of years or so to keep looking good. A GRP hull, whether coloured or just white, just needs washing down and a polish once a year or so to keep looking shiny.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have seen Awlgrip paint on boats that is over 10 years old that still looks really good.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have seen Awlgrip paint on boats that is over 10 years old that still looks really good.
I'll second that... and a quick annual polish and wax will keep on going for a few more...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38   #30
cruiser

i understand the marine environment is way more abusive/destructive then what a car would get, but you seem to indicate that a cars paint job would only last a couple months in a marine environment, and I would have to wonder/question that...

just like the last two posters indicate, if the boat is maintaind properly, they could last much longer... which is kinda my point... I would be willing to wax/wash, whatever it takes just like i would my car... I wash my car monthly, I could easily wash my boat at least once per month..

I wax my car once per year, and the same for the boat if that is what you do to boats, sorry that i dont know yet...

and as indicated in my earlier post, I would be willing to paint/recoat the boat every 5 years or so...

as for imbedded color, hmmm.. not sure how or why that would make a difference, as long as there was some type of UV protectant above it...

andyes, scratches and other ROAD hazzard would break any car paint too...

I am not suggesting to put a $40k paint job on my Chevy Blazer, nor would i suggest a $10k paint job on a Cal29 but, somewhere there should be a standard or a balance and a normal length of time a paint job/coating job that should last 5 years+ unless scratched or damaged...UV and Salt shouldnt be a problem for five years... at least.. just like my truck is lasting 12 years+

btw: still unable to find a single pic of a 'sweet' paint job on a sail boat, unless it is a racer... and those arent SWEET to me... crowded/busy/ is more like the pics i saw...