Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 19:56   #1

Tampa, FL: Is it worth living aboard?

Hey All,

I am trying to figure out what I want to do in the future with my living conditions. I recently went through a divorce and am in need of selling the house. I have been looking at new places to move into and I am just amazed how much they want for such junk and ran-down properties closer to my new job location.

I am working on MacDill AFB, so I would prefer to stay around that area as much as possible to limit my travel distance.

I am seriously re-thinking my dreams of living on a boat, many years back I did a little research on this idea and never really went through it. I do have some sailing experience, mostly as a child as we had a lake-based hobby catamaran sail.

I'm actually looking at both power and sails at the moment, just browsing, because I would really be limited to only weekend trips, so long-distance sail trips would be few and far between.

Anyways, I am just wanting to get others' ideas... what boats would be best for living on really... I know trawlers are more popular in the loopers, but if anything I would only be doing short weekend trips. It's just everything inside me is killing me on these prices, I went and looked at a few 1/1 apartments and half of the ones under $1300/month really were in run-down poor areas of town and I just don't see spending that much on renting a crap apartment and buying right now is extremely limited and a decent small condo/townhome in this part of town is $300k+ with like $400/month hoa...
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 20:43   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Tampa, FL: Is it worth living aboard?

Living aboard in marinas is like living in apartment complexes, lots of people around, and you share ablution blocks, and washing machines, and parking spaces. Of those people, some are sometimes slovenly, and don't do their share to keep things clean, and some are lovely.

When you live on a boat and the weather is inclement, it is a long way up the hill to the heads, and showers.

Boats can sink from lack of maintenance. I know housing falls in sink holes in Florida, but not from lack of preventive maintenance.

So, you want to move from a deferred maintenance that only costs you money sort of situation to one that could cause loss of life.

Your post sounded to me like you're just unhappy at inflation, and not someone who really wants to take on the challenges of living aboard. If I am wrong about this, I apologize, don't mean to do you wrong, it was just my take on this cold, rainy afternoon down under, having returned from a doctor appointment in the rain.

Ann
Old 03-09-2021, 04:39   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
I have been looking at new places to move into and I am just amazed how much they want for such junk and ran-down properties closer to my new job location.

I am working on MacDill AFB, so I would prefer to stay around that area as much as possible to limit my travel distance.

The boat market is similar right now. Many want huge piles of gold for their huge pile of crap.

And then again, I've read finding a liveaboard marina isn't always a piece of cake.

Maybe best to research marinas, first -- location, slip availability and so forth -- then look at viable boats that could fit in candidate slips.

Then think more about whether moving aboard still looks attractive. Considering that you will likely have to do boat maintenance often (sometimes daily). Considering that you might end up schlepping yourself back and forth from the marina showers. Considering that you might have about 12 square feet of living space. Considering that pesky weather issue in Florida (what to do when the next "Ida" decides to target Tampa). Et cetera.

Not intending to talk you out of it; just suggesting it's a decision process that needs eyes wide open.

-Chris
Old 03-09-2021, 06:01   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

There are lots of lower priced condos for rent in St Pete.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:20   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Our liveaboards at my marina have lately been complaining about the dead fish smell. Folks clean/fillet their fish then the rest goes back into the water but sometimes doesn't sink.

One huge dead fish also got caught under the floating dock and there were days of stink in that area.

Other times folks come to the boats late and want to continue their party regardless of whether their or liveaboards that have to work in the early am.

We have over 400 slips at my marina and yet there is only one toilet and one shower in the facility restroom.

Then there's the weather..........

And sometimes fuel spills that assault your nose. We have lots of boats in slips at the 5 marinas on my creek plus numerous ships.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:17   #6

I enjoyed living in a marina. Having said that our holding tank took 500 gallons and the boat was 86 feet, so there was no need to walk to the showers etc.. There was always someone or something coming or going.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:11   #7

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Bahia 46

If you’re working on base, I know Mcdill has a marina. Have you inquired there? Tampa bay as of recent has grown live aboard unfriendly. You can thank the northern blue hairs and developers for that. Good luck with your search. Good ole Florida crackers, just want you to pickup after yourself.
srbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I first moved aboard in early 1982, and have lived aboard, with the exception of four years, ever since. My requirements for my first boat included (and still include) a workable head and tank, a functioning shower, a functioning galley, and head room. I had no interest in a camping situation and I did not mind using a pump-out. As a result, I have never had a problem with less-than-adequate shoreside facilities, which I only use by choice. So.....the boat you choose DOES affect how the marina amenities affect you.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:22   #9

Don't want to burst your bubble, but living aboard a boat is really not that much less expensive than living in a small condo or apartment. Especially if you want to be close to MacDill. Marinas around downtown Tampa are going to be expensive. It's less further away, but then you will have to deal with the commute, and if you're going to commute then you can probably find a cheap apartment that would work better.

Good luck in finding something.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:34   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have lived aboard sailboats at marinas twice for extended periods during my checkered career. You will likely find that living aboard during the week and cruising on the weekends presents a constant conflict. You want to make the boat comfortable as a dockside live aboard, but being ready to "up sticks" and stow everything on the weekends clashs with that goal as you regularly struggle to turn it back into a boat. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that owning a live aboard sized boat and mooring it at an urban marina is any special bargain.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:40   #11

Boat: Freedom 32

I’m never amazed with the questions on CF. Used to be but not anymore.

Relax; keep it simple. The last thing you need to add to your life is a boat. A nasty divorce takes up to 18 months before making any serious life decisions. A boat/marina move would qualify.

1. Contact MacDill billeting. They will have info to get started. Know upfront MacDill is a high demand rental market. Start with a generous radius and your requirements.

2. Heard of Zillow? I just ran a rental search around McDill covering a 2 mile radius up to 2,500 monthly. Over 200 rentals popped up. Sure some must be junk. But there must be a good bunch too.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:23   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There are lots of lower priced condos for rent in St Pete.
Thinking a live aboard would be cheaper is ill-conceived.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 13:13   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Lots of negativity today ! Yes, you can buy a boat and live on it. It most likely will not be any cheaper than other forms of living but it can be very nice. A 34-36 ft. trawler would work very nice for you. You can find decent ones in the $20-35 thousand range. YouTube is your friend, lots of boating- cruising videos on there to get an idea of what it’s like. Maybe offer to help sailers with their boats on marina bulletin boards to get a feel for the life. It can be done.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 15:10   #14

Boat: Marine Trader, Sun Deck 38'

Maybe ask how long people have lived full time on their boat. I have heard two year average and they are ready for something else. Some twenty years. I have a 38' trawler and live six winter months in Fort Pierce Florida. Marina is about $700. per month. Cleaning the bottom and zinks, maybe $100. per month, Then paint the bottom and the list goes on and on. This is before you burn the first gallon of fuel. I had a sail boat before the trawler and the trawler is my choice for living space. I hope this helps. Someone else offered some good advice after a divorce. It takes two years to get your head headed in the right direction. Ask me how I know......
Old 03-09-2021, 16:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcay View Post
Someone else offered some good advice after a divorce. It takes two years to get your head headed in the right direction. Ask me how I know...
I agree completely, as another who has "been there, done that."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard