Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 16:29   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 41T
Re: Tampa, FL: Is it worth living aboard?

St Pete Municipal has live-aboard slips, and you can take the Gandy Bridge right over to MacDill AFB.

Personally, I like the feel of sailboats, so I would encourage that. The boat will give you new challenges as you learn "the ropes", which will also help you with your divorce head-space. Lots of new systems, plumbing, navigation, etc. will give your brain something else to focus on.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Tampa is my hometown and the Bay can be a fun sail. Beer Can Island - Egmont Key, etc. Enjoy!
swhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:07   #17

Check slip fees you may find HMO cost are equal or lower! Because you have a 5 day a week job you may also find that rent is much cheaper than upkeep on a boat with deciding to take the day off to fix something that can't wait or pay to have it fixed.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:17   #18

If you love water and great weather yes. Are there some challenges yes, but it's more about what works for you and your personality. Also need to consider hurricane season
captbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40   #19

I want to thank everyone for the responses. I have a bit of research to do, but I just wanted to get a few things mentioned...

My divorce is fully over, yes there are emotions and head-clearing needed, but it was for the best.. so overall my spirit is much happier than before. I was not aware how far down my spirit had been suppressed over the years. Since my divorce many of my friends feel like I'm a completely different person, much like I was 10+ years ago...

Yes, I understand there are places to rent.. but in my opinion if i'm going to rent something, why not own something and lately while looking i have not been happy with what is out there.. Ultimately i would like to get something close to the water that has a slip/dock to have both, because i have a friend who owns a monohull that owns property with a dock and he househacks by living on the sailboat on his private dock while renting out the house to a family as roommates. He doesn't actually have a bedroom in the house, he just uses the internet, power, and water from the house. I'd prefer to buy another house for a similar situation.. I just have not found one yet that matches the requirements... within a price I'm willing to pay.

Regarding the cost of owning a boat, yes i understand the cost associated, but it's more of a dream i'm trying to fulfil, I have always had a dream of living on a boat. I spend a lot of free time near the water as my place to go and clear my mind, so I don't see why not pursue something that brings me joy and happiness. For a lot of years I have suppressed this, because the girl I thought I had fallen in love with had a fear of the water.. So any time I wanted to go out on a boat or go to the water to have fun outside of tanning on the beach was removed from my life. So i figured, i'm alone and single now basically starting over my life. Why not do something for myself first this time, thus my idea of buying a boat to live on..

My choice of boat may have been convinced in a different direction. I recently had a nice couple inform me of a boat type I had no idea existed and to top it off, they live on it full time and have been for 6 years now in a way I'm intrigued by. They live on a Motorsailer in Sanford, FL full time while both having full time jobs. One works remotely from the boat while the other goes to shore 5 days a week. They mentioned something that intrigued me. The boat they bought came with 3 diesel engines + sail propulsion. It has a main larger 6cyl john deere diesel engine, 10kw diesel generator, and a smaller 3cyl kubota diesel backup propulsion engine. When they bought it, the smaller diesel engine had not been run in so long that it locked up and needed disassembly for repair. On repair of the motor they found it had a cracked block and needed to be replaced. Instead of replacing the motor with another replacement, they decided to go unconventional due to wanting to build a battery bank and solar on the boat to remove themselves from needing to run the generator as often. They installed an electric motor in place of it and a large battery bank in the footprint the old engine took in space area. They informed me they use it all the time for short trips and moving around the marina. They mentioned they designed it so in emergency the 10kw generator is able to power the electric motor if they were to loose the main diesel engine.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard