Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2019, 14:59   #1

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island
SUP, kayak, or canoe?

Im looking for something light I can hang off my stanshions on my 33 Morgan OI. Also have safety netting up a d dont want to eat up valuable deck space. Been considering foam SUPs. We mainly live in a marina and “vacation” on the intercoastal/open ocean so no issues about her getting heels/dress wet when dining out.
ThePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 15:07   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: SUP, kayak, or canoe?

I used kayak , because needed to carry groceries as well .
Now I am more into custom.made hard dinghy .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 15:09   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
Im looking for something light I can hang off my stanshions on my 33 Morgan OI. Also have safety netting up a d dont want to eat up valuable deck space. Been considering foam SUPs. We mainly live in a marina and “vacation” on the intercoastal/open ocean so no issues about her getting heels/dress wet when dining out.
As a once pretty serious sea-kayaker, I used to sneer at the short, fat sit-on-top kayaks for their lousy speed and relatively difficult propulsion. But I am in the market for one now because I realise they make a perfect shopping trolley compliment to the motorised dink. Light, stable, easy to stow, with lots of tie down points for the shopping.

A friend is into the foam SUPs, she does yoga on hers and seems to spend more time upside down on it than right way up. Helping her to take it on and off her car a few times I was impressed by how light it was but felt it would be too fragile for my needs. Also, watching people paddle them, they seem like hard work to steer and they have absolutely no way of making the shopping secure that I can figure out. More of an exercise accessory I reckon.
Old 23-03-2019, 15:44   #4

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

We have 2 Hobie kayaks with the Mirage drives. Bar non the best yacht toys we ever bought. pedal and sail.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:00   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
We have 2 Hobie kayaks with the Mirage drives. Bar non the best yacht toys we ever bought. pedal and sail.

I love that drive system. Are they a problem getting them on and off the boat? I assume they are pretty robust but do they snag on things and do you have to take any particular care of them when launching and retrieving?
Old 24-03-2019, 04:17   #6

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

We're still trying to work out a way or carrying a Hobie Tandem Island (or Adventure Island). They are the best small craft we've had - paddle, pedal or sail (pps). Stable trimarans. There's even people on the Hobie forums who put a 2+hp on the back - and still get the options to pps.
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 05:18   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I have a good friend who runs a livery where they rent out all of the above that you mention. The only one they have problems with are the SUP rentals. They occasionally have to go and "rescue" the SUP'ers as they have gone off so far that they are tired out and are having a hard time getting back. The SUP's are not very directional stable, it is kinda like padding a pancake around(exaggerated), they are also very prone to tipping over due to their higher center of gravity. I would personally recommend the kayak, for the reasons mentioned above. They are fairly directionally stable and faster, and do not use as many different muscles as an SUP.

I have done open water kayaking over distances in the past, and would use a kayak, but never an SUP. If you plan on just poking around a short distance in a marina, and not transporting anything, the SUP should be fine, but anything more than that I would go with the kayak. You have many more options when it comes to kayaks, and their layouts, storage, and used ones can be picked up for less than $200, with a paddle and life vest.

If you go with a kayak make sure you get a paddle with drip rings on each side, there is nothing more annoying than water running down your paddle/arm and into your armpits and clothing.
Old 24-03-2019, 05:53   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

IMHO, SUPs are like jetskis. Fun for 30 minutes then I'm done. Kayaks are better. Why not a dinghy ?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 07:37   #9

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

We have 2 kayaks (his & hers!) for fun and light-duty shore runs, plus a 9' hard dinghy for heavy store runs. The kayaks are much faster and less hassle than the dinghy, but won't haul the same load (or passengers!). We keep our kayaks on racks outside the lifelines (SS racks made by Magma) - works great until you have to use a fixed dock. The dinghy lives on the foredeck when we aren't towing it.

A canoe seems like a bad idea - too big to stow easily and tippier than a dinghy. Don't get me wrong, I love paddling around in a canoe, but I wouldn't want one aboard.

A SUP seems a bit light duty to me, but I'm old and have marginal balance anymore - someone who was proficient could probably use one like we use our kayaks (and passengers would be tricky, tho I've seen it done).

Hartley & Lesley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:51   #10

Look at Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks. $699 on Amazon. I bought the tandem and like it a lot. Converts solo to tandem in seconds, pretty quick on the water and stable. Light enough for one person to deploy easily. Deflated it folds up into a duffle the size of a large suitcase.
Steve39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:38   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

I would look at the folding boat, like a Porta-Bote. Very capable boat, planes with small motors, very light, stores in less space than a kayak. Can't even imagine taking guests, laundry, provisions, hauling water or anything else you will need on a kayak or even funnier a SUP.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 10:27   #12

Boat: J/42

I carry a kayak and a SUP (both inflatable, but it’s a small boat. I can keep ONE inflated on the stanchion rack.) Since I got the SUP, a couple years ago, I almost never use the kayak. But the SUP is very difficult to paddle up-wind.
I’ve been on the verge of buying a roto-molded sit-on-top for years, but I really don’t anything like that on deck when the wind is up. Might be worth looking at some of the newer high-pressure inflatable kayaks.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 10:55   #13

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
We're still trying to work out a way or carrying a Hobie Tandem Island (or Adventure Island). They are the best small craft we've had - paddle, pedal or sail (pps). Stable trimarans. There's even people on the Hobie forums who put a 2+hp on the back - and still get the options to pps.
We have a Tandem Island that we keep at our winter home in Arizona. It has an outboard that we use occasionally to do extended exploring. It is an amazingly fun boat but we have yet to figure a good way take it along with us on our big boat without introducing a huge PIA factor in to our cruising. We have towed it down lake behind our 25 ft boat and played with it after we beached but even that was more trouble than it was worth.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 11:05   #14

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
We have a Tandem Island that we keep at our winter home in Arizona. It has an outboard that we use occasionally to do extended exploring. It is an amazingly fun boat but we have yet to figure a good way take it along with us on our big boat without introducing a huge PIA factor in to our cruising. We have towed it down lake behind our 25 ft boat and played with it after we beached but even that was more trouble than it was worth.
Was just looking at a 45ft cat that carries a Tandem Island on their davis here in the Bahamas. Roll the sail up, fold in the outriggers and lift up. They're the envy of the anchorage. They use it most days, when conditions are under 10kts. They havea RIB for their main dingy.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 17:39   #15

Boat: Scout 30

We've got 12' x 30" sit on top fishing kayaks & 11' x 32" inflatable paddle boards. Positives & negatives for both. Believe it or not the paddle boards are much more stable than the kayaks being flat on the bottom & 2" wider. As mentioned before paddle boards are tough to paddle into the wind but you can kneel or sit & then it's similar to a kayak. We actually have seats for the boards. You can also add webbing or straps to a paddle board & carry as much stuff as a kayak. However, leaving inflatable paddle boards in the sun is not a good idea.

With both kayaks & paddle boards you can go short & fat or long & sleek. Both require technique & practice.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak