Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 07:22   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Still a cruiser or a FLOATER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Victron 75/15. I have some other controllers but the way they work they drag the voltage down to 12 volts. Because I have a 30volt MPP, I’m loosing about half my available power.

So I guess I’m worrying about a 12volt difference.
That's what I bought last Summer (Victron 75/15 MPPT) to replace the 3-4 various PWM Controllers I used in the past. (which chop off the available voltage at 12 volts like you said)

I think you will enjoy the monitoring system the Victron has plus it's increased efficiency. The only problem is that it tells you exactly how well your panels are working so you may start doing what I did last year which was aiming my panels for optimal performance (especially if you are not real busy while floating around)

I have one of my old PWM Controllers hooked up now though. Last Winter one of my PWM's failed due to condensation from large temperature fluctuations.

We were at 22 degrees F this morning and will be at 60 degrees plus in a day or so. My boat is in the yard now so I just have it set for like 13.2 volts float using just one 20 watt panel

The Victron will go back in this Spring (it's in my living room now sitting on my tackle box)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 08:20   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Still a cruiser or a FLOATER?

And I will go back to the old controllers for our 6 months on the hard. Very simple, ultra reliable, just operates a 60A Mercury wetted contractor.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, loa