Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 03:16   #1

sparkman and stephens defiance 30 for circumnavigation

Hello I’m a 21 year old living in MELBOURNE australia and I’m currently planning my circumnavigation at the end of 2023. I have narrowed my boat selection down to a couple of boats but one I’m really interested in is the defiance 30 built in australia. It’s on the smaller side but I wanted to know if anyone else has done a ocean crossing in one. I’m also planning on completing a full refit before my trip from keel up

I’ve worked as a boat builder and are comfortable with any work that would need to be done. I just want to know that after a 3 year rebuild that the boat will be what I need to cross a ocean.
madsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 20:08   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: sparkman and stephens defiance 30 for circumnavigation

This thread may be of interest if you haven't already seen it: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-56435.html

The next question is - is this the boat?: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ss-30-aquafibre

There seem to be a number of different names for 30' S&S boats, built in different places by different outfits. Posting some pictures might help people give you answers.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 20:58   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
This thread may be of interest if you haven't already seen it: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-56435.html

The next question is - is this the boat?: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ss-30-aquafibre

There seem to be a number of different names for 30' S&S boats, built in different places by different outfits. Posting some pictures might help people give you answers.
Hi try visiting Seabreeze.com.au forums sailing and search for defiance the original. Should be of interest to you.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 21:59   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'day Sammy,

I can't speak to the Defiance but I had a Yankee 30, an &S design from the late 60's. I did a lot of miles in her, caring and cruising, and found her to be a sweet sailing craft. I did a lot of single handed ocean racing out of San Francisco in the early 80s, a number of coastal cruises to So Cal, and Ann and I did a round trip to Hawaii in 1983 which is a proper long ocean passage each way.

The boat was fine with all of this, but we discovered that her habit of sailing at circa 20+ degrees of heel, while ok for short trips and day hops, was kinda fatiguing for long passages, and we sold her when we set out long term cruising in 1986.

I know that they are similar, don't know what the relationship of the two 30s might be, nor about the build quality of the Defiance, so I dunno if our experiences are relevant to you... but I was very fond of that boat and viewed it as adequately seaworthy for mid latitude passages. Stowage was meager, but that's a quality of most 30 foot yachts! i added a auxiliary fuel tank (Atomic 4 gas engine) but kept the original water tank... plus some emergency water in jugs.

Anyhow, i'd be happy to answer any questions that my long ago experience might bear on.

Good luck in your planning.

Jim
Old 09-06-2019, 04:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sammy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 04:09   #6

Thanks for everyone’s advice and I’m currently trying to find all the information I can on the yankee 30
madsammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation