Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 10:27   #31

Boat: Columbia 45
Re: Small boat. Is this a foolish idea?

Go for it!! When I was single I lived comfortably on a 32. Move off when I got married.
jjt5795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:30   #32

In about 6 weeks I am leaving the High DESERT of So Cal. Hooking up my MacGregor 25 behind my 34' Pace Arrow I just bought and heading for the Gulf of Mexico. Probably be putting it in the water in New Orleans and heading for Florida to see a couple friends then down to the Keys. Going to try live a board for a year or so or forever. Any advice. The MacGregor has a large berth, a small head, a dinette, I built a little closet with drawers, I made a little galley with a sink and microwave. I have a LP BBQ mounted on the outside of the cockpit. Just going to me and my dog which I made a little box with dirt and grass for her to do her business in.Any advice?
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:43   #33

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

RKO,

If it's big enough for you, it's big enough. Go for it!

Have a grand adventure matey!

Cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:00   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Here it is in a nutshell: I have a Columbia 8.7 with a 10 foot beam In reasonably good shape
I'm a single male used to a home, but I am comfortable in small spaces.
Is it foolish for me to think I can use this boat as a live aboard? I have no thought that I am going to take any large ocean passages. I plan to bop around the coast of Florida mostly in the keys With the occasional Jaunt to a nearby island once I am comfortable doing that.
I will have about $3000 a month to live on.
It seems doable to me, but I keep reading posts here that indicates that anything under 40 feet is ridiculous to try to live aboard.
I'm interested in your honest opinion.
For a single guy that has no space issues have at it. Given you budget, bigger is not better. Just have that filled for the v berth for an occasional visitor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:58   #35

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

I moved on a 26 footer after a 43 and it is soooo much more versatile
I live aboard most of the time
Yes it is doable to live aboard a 26 footer Just try it
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:27   #36

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I used to own a 8.7, and did live onboard for a few months. At time I was single, but also working in the pre-office casual days. Having to keep several suits onboard in addition to the rest of my clothes made the closet space a little cramped (single hanging locker). The boat was also 70 miles from my office. So my experience was less than optimal. However, it was very pleasant time. I moved back ashore when winter was approaching.
So you should have none of my issues.
Only problem with 8.7s is that a lot of them were not well maintained. The portlights on the original Columbia boats leaked and caused lots of wood work issues if the owner didn't address the problem.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:10   #37

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericksster View Post
In about 6 weeks I am leaving the High DESERT of So Cal. Hooking up my MacGregor 25 behind my 34' Pace Arrow I just bought and heading for the Gulf of Mexico. Probably be putting it in the water in New Orleans and heading for Florida to see a couple friends then down to the Keys. Going to try live a board for a year or so or forever. Any advice. The MacGregor has a large berth, a small head, a dinette, I built a little closet with drawers, I made a little galley with a sink and microwave. I have a LP BBQ mounted on the outside of the cockpit. Just going to me and my dog which I made a little box with dirt and grass for her to do her business in.Any advice?
My only advice is wait a month. 6 weeks from now it's still gonna be VERY HOT & HUMID.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:47   #38
smo

Just looked at your boat on sailboat data. Looks perfect for a singlehander. I would add a fabric canopy over the boom that would shade the entire cockpit and possibly even the forehatch. Or possibly a screened bimini. Add opening ports everywhere you can fit them and 2 or 3 solo vents.
Switch all lighting over to leds. Add an artic brand cooler or superinsulate the cooler on board. Add a grill on the stern so you can keep the cabin cool.
Then take everything out of the boat and only bring a minimum back on board.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 14:23   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RKO,

Some marina's have a length limit for liveaboards. If you're "transient", you're not a liveaboard. It's an issue to feel out carefully, and you need to be prepared to move around, obviously a warmer winter climate is preferable to ice and snow, icy docks can be treacherous.

Ann
Old 08-07-2016, 16:23   #40

I lived on a 29 foot sailboat easily while also working every day, so my set up probably wouldn't apply, but I maintained a small storage locker for furniture and other apartment things plus off season items.
On the boat I got away from using anything needing to be refrigerated because I had a peltier cooler that could drain the batteries on warm days if I wasn't at the dock. Now I have an ice maker and a well insulated cooler.
Not having to go to work potentially reduces your wardrobe needs to tiny proportions. If you can minimize the things you need to store on the boat and keep enough supplies and food for the length of trips you take you have plenty of room.
Old 08-07-2016, 17:18   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

To sum it up: Many, many people have lived aboard boats this size and smaller. Some were solo, some couples, a few with children. Some are cruisers, moving around the world. Some were marina live-aboards. They all managed, some with continuing pleasure, some because it was their only option.

So, obviously, it is a possibility for you! You already have the boat, the steady income and the desire. I'm not often an advocate of the "just do it" advice, but in this case, it fits. What have you got to loose? If it does not work, move on to something else...

Jim
Old 08-07-2016, 17:23   #42

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

you still have to mow the lawn underneath the hull when the antifoul fails / take out the rubbish / restock the pantry / wash underwear / cook, clean , sweep and dust / probably not so much dusting as dehumidifying / that boat sounds excellent for where we are behind the great barrier reef / you won't know until you give it a go / with your mentioned budget and roomy safe hull you may be on a winner
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:08   #43

Too much advise about this idea just hurts your head !! JUST DO IT !!
Quintessa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 23:03   #44

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
What Rich said.
BTW: The Pardeys startet out on 24 feet
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:24   #45
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the support.
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.
Here's an interesting thing that just happened. Although I have just retired, I joined an LLC as a partner to do what retired people do, consult.
The LLC has been muddling along with no spectacular success.
Yesterday while I was reading and considering these responses, our biggest client called with a serious potential for some new business which would mean fees in the hundreds of thousands over the next 12 months.
So now we are meeting with them in 2 weeks to determine whether this will become a reality or not.
If it does, I'll be on the hard and in the cold for another year at least.
While this news is welcome and I could sure use the money, what does it say about me that my excitement over the business is tempered with slight disappointment. Im ready to cut the dock lines, but I may miss my weather window. Again!
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote