Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2023, 03:32   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Severe pain, what would you do if single handing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
After a week of office work without enough exercise my back is killing me! Ha ha I could not help but think of this thread. I have been trying to do the stretches in a very confined space.

I would like to note that I did the stretches last night (about a dozen times) and my back pain went from an 8 down to about a 2 today. No drugs.

I have a fairly active day today coming up with unfortunately a lot of heavy lifting. Hopefully that will be the right amount of exercise and not too much.

But this stuff really works.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 05:02   #47

Lots of valuable responses.

I am not sure if the op was suggesting that the hypothetical sailor had prior back problems, or if it was a first occurrence. For anyone who has ever had any history of back pain, and still wants to single-hand sail, I think common sense dictates at least two things:

1. Know as much as possible about your condition, so you know your options. This would involve an MRI and possibly EMG and NCVS diagnostic testing (do you have nerve damage, bulging/herniated disc, arthritis, something congenital?), and then review (meaning identify risks, limitations) with a provider (physiatrist, chiropractor, etc.), to identify your best options, in the event of an onset, if offshore in the muck;
and

2. After knowing your specific condition and what could happen, then outfit your boat to best fit your condition, such has lazy-jacks (quick-easy reef), electric winches, etc.

And, of course, have a plan if you are alone and the weather goes sideways.

One post mentioned x-rays, and they are good but basic; MRIs show so much more (think of comparing what you see with a magnifying glass, versus a microscope). and will give you and your medical provider the best picture of your condition and your ultimate options. Also remember chiropractors do not prescribe medications beyond over-the-counter products.

Also, if you plan to keep a generous supply of strong narcotics onboard, make sure you have adequate documentation that they were prescribed by a physician for you. The last thing you want is to have a problem if you get boarded in a foreign country, and find yourself trying to explain the pills in the unmarked vial are "just in case my back goes out."
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:55   #48

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
So,

I'm in my bunk with severe lower back pain. Thankfully at anchor and not single handing & with some potent painkillers.
Even more thankfully we have a well protected anchor spot while it's blowing a force 7.

Still, the situation could be different.

Say you are on a solo transatlantic or similar, far away from doctors, but not necessarily from hard places to hit.

Sails are fully up but weather will change.

You suddenly have severe lower back pain and can not move without enormous pain.
How would you deal with it? How have you dealt with it?

I know that exercise is tge best way to train your muscles, still, what would you do in the acute situation?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Single handing at sea, for more time than you can stay awake and on watch, is against International law, for a good reason. We must be on watch 24/7.

Otherwise, when a skipper is seasick, and visibility is very low, during foul weather, or at night... you only have one set of eyes preventing collision.

I have come within 100' of another small vessel, at night, with very low batteries (dim light), that had no AIS, 700 miles from shore. They had no one on watch!

I was watching, yet almost got run down. We need someone on watch, on BOTH vessels.

As to your question, injury or sickness is yet another reason not to single hand at sea.
Old 19-06-2023, 07:08   #49
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

I would strongly suggest that you find a good neurosurgeon.
You need to be evaluated to find out what is going on.
There is always "worse".
Being careful will not always be enough.
TW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:17   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Single handing at sea, for more time than you can stay awake and on watch, is against International law, for a good reason. We must be on watch 24/7.
I think someone forgot to mention that to the Single Handing Golden Globe Round the World Race Sailors.

https://goldengloberace.com/

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:19   #51

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
So,

I'm in my bunk with severe lower back pain. Thankfully at anchor and not single handing & with some potent painkillers.
Even more thankfully we have a well protected anchor spot while it's blowing a force 7.

Say you are on a solo transatlantic or similar, far away from doctors, but not necessarily from hard places to hit.

You suddenly have severe lower back pain and can not move without enormous pain.

I know that exercise is tge best way to train your muscles, still, what would you do in the acute situation?

Hi Firstly resting is a mistake, 2nd walking around a boat is also not good for your back.
Take pain / anti inflammatory tablets - That’s what my Physio told me.
Look for lower back exercises but make sure these are not from people in any sort of Gym because they work help.

Excercises- All start by you laying on your back.

1) raise your knees and feet on the bed rock your knees side to side keeping your shoulders flat.
2) raise your knees and tense muscles round your spine and in the lower abdomen - At first you will find this impossible. Now find what ever feels comfortable back position, tense and lift your ass off the bed - if you can, if it’s bad might take a day or two before you can do this.
3) as per point 2 lift and hold.
4) as per point 2 / 3 but with 1 leg
5) repeat daily for the rest of your life

I hurt my back in 1994 - and suffered for 10 years, Then about 2004 I learnt the above and rarely had an issue lasting more than a couple of days since.

It’s six weeks if you rest and 5-10 days if you excercise it out
Shaneesprit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:21   #52

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I think someone forgot to mention that to the Single Handing Golden Globe Round the World Race Sailors.
Just because they did it doesn't mean that it's legal or smart.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:33   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Severe pain, what would you do if single handing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Just because they did it doesn't mean that it's legal or smart.
On that basis neither does being PM or President..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:55   #54

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I personally would struggle through heaving to, set the proximity alarm, and lay down for a few days.

On a solo (well, with the dog) remote mountain bike 11 miles from my truck, I crashed and broke my left collarbone and three bones in my right hand. It took 8 hours to slowly walk out and another two driving to hospital. Very painful, but you learn to manage what’s manageable, and your body will help if you allow it.

Also broke a rib singlehanding back from Hawaii. Again, painful, but luckily a freak fall and not huge seas. Painful for the three weeks remaining in passage.

Maybe I should stop solo stuff? Hmmm…
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 08:02   #55
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We recommend a book by a physiotherapist: "Treat your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
(He also wrote one for neck treatment.)

My husband has had major back problems (including requiring surgery) and does these exercises daily. It seems to have prevented recurring problems.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 08:57   #56

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Hi Franzika,
I can sympathize with your pain and your question. Here's my plan as a singlehander planning a sol circumnavigation with known back issues. C3-C7 are fused, L3-L5 fused. I've been in constant pain 7/24 for 40 years now. I have additional spinal injuries that affect my walking. Truthfully after the last accident I thought I'd never sail again. Turns out I can, yay!

I have a medical level back brace. Not those things you buy in the drug store. I wore this for 3 months after the L3-5 fusion. When my back hurts, I can put this on and it truly helps.

TENS. Doesn't work on me. Works on some, not on others.

Exercise. Obviously.

Narcotics. I hate them and rarely use them. They are good for short term acute situations. I have been prescribed all of them. High dosages or morphine for several years (obviously before the opiod crisis) Quit on my own. The body can take care of a lot of pain if you let it.

Ibuprofen 800 mgs 3x's a day if it's bad.

Heating pad. Use ice first 24 hours then heat.

There is a new device out now from Abbott industries called Proclaim XR. I am in line to get a trial unit next month. This unit if it works will be a permanent implant in my body controllable via cellphone app. A friend who had 5 day debilitating migraines and a back worse than mine had this done. She is now pain free. Her friends son lost a leg in a motorcycle accident, phantom pain for years. Now, is pain free. Everyone will have different results but I am hoping for life changing results.

As to you original question. You will find out how tough you are when you have too. My friends are all concerned about my plans. I'm 68 and have some issues. BTW 6 knee surgeries and 2 TKR's all on 1 knee hasn't helped that out a lot either.

I understand my choice to go off sailing might be a fatal one. I'm not wishing for that but I'm also not going to let it stop me from living my life. On my 30th birthday my Dr. told me there was nothing they could for me. The level 10 pain I'd been in for 2 years was never going to get any better. I'd never work again. My 1st anniversary we went to the grocery store where I managed to walk up and down 2 aisles. It was such a joyful experience to be out of the house. Couldn't move for a week after. I found a new Dr who figured out what was wrong and could fix it. Afterwards he told me the list of things I could never do again. Like lift more than 10 pounds etc. He had a page and half of single spaces instructions. It was so funny I literally fell out of my chair laughing so hard. He did too. We're both on the floor in hysterics because we both know I'm not going to pay attention to any of this. Life is for living.

The other thing I have done is set my boat up for my body. Stack pack for the main. Roller furler for the jib. All lines come to the back and all lines are long enough to reach the electric winch if needed. Anchor is push button on the helm with a line counter as well. I don't need to go forward often. Cockpit is much safer.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 09:12   #57

A massage therapist I know recommends this for her clients: get a hard rubber ball, known as a "Pinky". Put it into a long sock. Then lie down with the ball under the area that has pain and kind of roll around on it. You can also drape it over your back and put it on that spot while leaning on a wall.
fijigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 09:28   #58

I had this exact situation last autumn when coming back to the U.S. from the Bahamas. I had herniated a lower disc raising a sail while bent forward at the wrong angle ( for me). My only choice was Advil. I took the maximum allowed dose which only made the pain tolerable until I could get to port and to a doctor It took me about 8 days to get from southern Exumas to south Florida (single handed). I am not a drinker so I just dealt with the pain not removed by the Advil until I got to a doc that takes Medicare. After recovering ( about 6 weeks) I purchased a Milwaukee right angle drill with a bit fort the wench My sails go up with ease now and by back thanks me each time 🤗✌️
warrenthames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 09:39   #59

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijigirl View Post
A massage therapist I know recommends this for her clients: get a hard rubber ball, known as a "Pinky". Put it into a long sock. Then lie down with the ball under the area that has pain and kind of roll around on it. You can also drape it over your back and put it on that spot while leaning on a wall.

Tennis balls also work similarly.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 10:10   #60

Quote:
So,

It's probably been said already, but I don't have time to read the whole thread: do you have any reason to believe this pain is caused by a sprain or injury, recent or in the past?

If not, I would not assume that it is purely a musculoskeletal problem. I know a gent who survived lymphoma; the first indicator he had was extreme back pain. If you have taken a multiple injections recently you may want to get comprehensively tested. Cancer rates are up dramatically as are premature deaths. Some say it's due to climate change, but let's not upset anyone, just get yourself thoroughly checked is my advice. If the news is not good, feel free to PM me and I can tell you what I would do.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single