Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 08:09   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Security

We rarely lock our boat — only when we’re going to be away for many days at a time. In my opinion a lock is only useful against opportunistic thieves. If someone really wants my stuff, they’ll get it. Luckily, few people want my stuff. Maybe I should get better stuff .

So far I’ve been luck enough to travel in areas of high trust. Theft and violence certainly happens, but if I was so concerned about my security such that I felt the need for steel bars on my companionway or constant locks, I’d leave that place.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:41   #32

Here was your first sentence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Deadly force is not legal anywhere the U.S. to protect property.
As you point out replying to my statement, you can in fact shoot someone to protect property. You can't ALWAYS do it, just like "deadly force is not legal ANYWHERE in the US."

There is no assumption made, at least in Texas, that they are there to do you bodily harm. Even if the thief is unarmed in your home, you do have the right to use deadly force.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:06   #33

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

You're still missing the point that you are not protecting your property, you are defending your life. I didn't say, "deadly force is not legal ANYWHERE in the US." I said it's not to defend property. And the assumption is, in Texas, that they are going to harm you, hence the justification for killing them. You need to understand the REASON it is allowed, it's not merely because Texans don't take crap.

You didn't answer if you think you can shoot someone in the head for being in your unattended car. Even better, could you leave some valuables in an unlocked car, go sit on top of a garage 500 yards away, and shoot someone in the head with a rifle because they got in your car? Because that's your property and you can kill over property...
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:16   #34

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
You are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the reasoning behind the laws. If someone is breaking into your unattended parked car, you think those states allow you to shoot the guy in the head? No, they do not.

The reason you can shoot a guy in your home (castle) or your car (extension of your castle) if you are in it, is because the assumption is that when you enter someone's dwelling, you are most likely prepared to do them violence when you are confronted. This has nothing to do with PROPERTY, other than you are in a dwelling. You put a bullet in someone anywhere in the country and you will have to explain how you were in fear of your life. Which is very easy to articulate, if true...
I think you better check again. GA. allows the use of deadly force in many circumstances related to property theft , including grand theft auto.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I think you better check again. GA. allows the use of deadly force in many circumstances related to property theft , including grand theft auto.
Yeah, that is for the theft of a car with an occupant in it. Valid to kill because your life is at risk. Could you leave some valuables in an unlocked car, go sit on top of a garage 500 yards away, and shoot someone in the head with a rifle because they got in your car? Because that's your property and you can kill over property...

"Georgia Man Shoots, Kills Suspect Who Allegedly Tried to Carjack Him — Now He’s Facing Murder Charges" current headline...
Old 17-05-2017, 09:54   #36

Quote:
You're still missing the point that you are not protecting your property, you are defending your life. I didn't say, "deadly force is not legal ANYWHERE in the US." I said it's not to defend property. And the assumption is, in Texas, that they are going to harm you, hence the justification for killing them. You need to understand the REASON it is allowed, it's not merely because Texans don't take crap.

You didn't answer if you think you can shoot someone in the head for being in your unattended car. Even better, could you leave some valuables in an unlocked car, go sit on top of a garage 500 yards away, and shoot someone in the head with a rifle because they got in your car? Because that's your property and you can kill over property...
Again, you're just wrong. There's no assumption in Texas that they are going to harm you. Here's the code: Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 9.42 | FindLaw. Specifically look at (3)(a) and (2) for burglary.

Can you ALWAYS do it? No.

You can continue to attempt to defend your position, but I've written all I will on this.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 10:10   #37

Try reading the whole thing, not just the parts you want to apply. A requirement of the statute you refer to is
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means;  or
B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

As I said from the beginning. You must be at risk of harm by the perpetrator.

The distinction you are missing is that many states do not even allow you to use force if you are being murdered in your own home. The ability to defend yourself in your home or vehicle against someone willing to harm you is a natural human right that some states do recognize, such as these Castle Doctrine states.

I live in one myself, Louisiana. If I see someone attempting entry through a window, I can shoot (through the window) because he will most likely harm me when he gets in as I try to protect my property. However, if I am not there, it is illegal for me to have a shotgun set up to blast his head off if he passes through a door. Because he can't harm me if I'm not there.
Old 17-05-2017, 10:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong View Post
I actually work in Electronics Security so I have a wee bit of experience with security---electronics side as well as prior military.

Anyway, has anyone utilized onboard security monitoring using dvr recording?

Also, trail cameras are a cheap alternative to cctv. How about a burglar alarm system?

I have installed and inspected burglar alarm systems for big companies but I've never thought​about applying this to vessels.

Any thoughts?

Personally, when my wife and I buy ours---waaaay on down the road---I will be considering installing some sort of alarm system and my monitoring. Just another precaution to protecting life and property.

For what it's worth.
Check the video Thalas posted. SV Happy Together has a system on their boat. It includes a lazer sensor

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:54   #39
Marine Service Provider

Sleep with your axe under the pilow Ragnar:-D
paramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:58   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

We do not carry any weapons.

We lock up the boat when we go ashore, except in Sweden.

We do not go places that have bad name, unless there is no way round it. We are very fit and could possibly outrun some villains.

We walk (not drive) in plain clothes and we talk to people. We do not spend time in bars nor visit places where iffy things get done (prostitution, drugs, etc.)

I can only recall two countries I'd rather not go to again. Elsewhere it was either safe or else safe enough.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:01   #41

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Yeah, that is for the theft of a car with an occupant in it. Valid to kill because your life is at risk. Could you leave some valuables in an unlocked car, go sit on top of a garage 500 yards away, and shoot someone in the head with a rifle because they got in your car? Because that's your property and you can kill over property...

"Georgia Man Shoots, Kills Suspect Who Allegedly Tried to Carjack Him — Now He’s Facing Murder Charges" current headline...
I suggest you investigate "forcible felony" distinction in the State of GA. Deadly Force can be used in case of robbery, armed robbery, carjacking, etc. "To arrest, halt or stop a felony from being committed."
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:01   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawoodsy View Post
Paint your outboard black and put Mercury stickers on it, best anti-theft device I have found.
Mine is black with a personalize sticker,- unique......

This wasn't done as an anti-theft plan, but it does stand out. Of course any thief could quickly cover it with spray paint.
Old 17-05-2017, 13:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I suggest you investigate "forcible felony" distinction in the State of GA. Deadly Force can be used in case of robbery, armed robbery, carjacking, etc. "To arrest, halt or stop a felony from being committed."
I suggest you learn what the terms mean. Robbery, armed robbery, carjacking, etc. are all crimes against a person and use of force is easily justified and was not in dispute (except in some states where self defense is a crime). Read my previous post re Texas statute.
Old 17-05-2017, 14:47   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Not to get into a gun/deadly force debate, but this is simply not true. Colorado, Nevada, North Dakota and Texas (possibly others) allow deadly force in protection of your property in regards to your abode. You can't shoot someone stealing your iPhone at the restaurant, but you can shoot someone trying to get out of your house with your iPhone.

Several countries (Australia, England and possibly others) also allow it.

The key is to know the laws. You can find good references by looking up the "Castle Doctrine".
Absolutely false!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 01:44   #45

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Juneau, Alaska: Harris Harbor, no security gates. In 9 months had two bicycle stolen--thieves were meth heads equipped with very good bolt cutters. Police were able to track them down in part based on us tracking one theft down ( small town, very limited road system, fresh snow). Alas, he sped off and ditched the bike when he saw us, so by the time the police got enough evidence to raid the methy house, they found 200+ stolen items but not my bike.

Lived alone on the boat for most of the winter, and got followed home once, plus would occasionally wake to someone sliding the hatch open. The second I attribute to
Juneau's high homeless population--Harris harbor is right downtown and homeless are always looking for a boat to squat on. It's a problem. My old boss, bless him, found a guy squatting on his boat, and tossed him in the harbor🙄.

Seward, Alaska: Also an unsecured harbor, at the 9 month mark now. No issues except a missing folding cart--which may have been bc I left it at a spot too close to the 'transfer/recycle' area damnit. As the tourist season begins, visitors are a little invasive on the finger piers, but otherwise the harbor feels very safe and familial.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security