Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 21:13   #46

Re: Second liveaboard question: aerobic exercise?

7 min work out, don't need much space. It will work out every part of your body.
When you can do 7 min and feel like its not enough do it again and again.
Burpee is great to get everything working.
Also Yoga lots of great Youtube tutorials. Not much else you need unless you have something specific you want to accomplish.
There are many works outs you can do in a small place.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:00   #47

I've been a marina-based live-aboard for two years in New England (1975 Egg Harbor/33'), and I exercise daily. When the weather isn't suitable to get off, I work out on the boat, alternating between yoga, weights, and a low-impact aerobic exercise routine.
valrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:07   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsail View Post
Know nothing about your boat and open areas, but could you not get a turbo trainer or even rollers and still use your road bike when you away from the marina and on the hook? They may be a bit heavy but don't take up a ton of space.
I have taken my turbo trainer along and set it up on the flybridge. This summer I spent most of the summer at Catalina Island where I mountain biked and hiked nearly every day. I enjoy swimming as well.

But, with that being said, I expect to loose a little ground in the fitness department, give up a loop or two in the belt, drink a few too many glasses of vino. It's good to let your hair down from time to time.

Plenty of time in the fall, winter and spring to count heart beats, watts and calories.
lwaugaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:31   #49

It may not be as aerobic as you want, but I do TRX and it is surprisingly good exercise, especially when the boat is moving a bit and you have to keep your balance. The system was invented by a Navy Seal to exercise in small areas on boats.
blakeredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 14:33   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwaugaman View Post
I have taken my turbo trainer along and set it up on the flybridge. This summer I spent most of the summer at Catalina Island where I mountain biked and hiked nearly every day. I enjoy swimming as well.

But, with that being said, I expect to loose a little ground in the fitness department, give up a loop or two in the belt, drink a few too many glasses of vino. It's good to let your hair down from time to time.

Plenty of time in the fall, winter and spring to count heart beats, watts and calories.
Yay! Somebody has actually done it.

I've been looking at lots of boats online. I found one that I'm sure I could cycle with rollers inside of, a '76 Pearson 39'. I tried attaching a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pearson.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	222157  
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:34   #51

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Have a look at the “Tabata” routine.
A lot of exercise in a small amount of time.
Just choose the activities that suit your circumstances.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:56   #52

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We are sailing, and our bodies are constantly trying to stay up right, so our core muscles are active most all of the time, especially at the helm.

Also, we have exercise bands, and can do all kinds of resistance exercises, and for aerobics, we can change the resistance by moving toward the anchor point a step or two, and change the reps from 10 to 12 up to 30, or 50 or more.

When anchored, we are ashore hiking and exploring, and snorkeling.

We stay fit with both resistance training, aerobics, and flexibility( stretches).

It is easy and fun to meld your fitness programs into your sailing, or power cruising.

Both of us are in excellent physical condition, active, and have very positive attitudes, and a great deal of fun, and talking story with the grand people we meet ashore.

Sometimes, we rented bikes, a few times was on Bora Bora, and ride rented bikes R/T down that coastal road from the Bora Bora Y.C, down to and beyond the hotel bora bora. Actually , the hotel bora bora was a Hinano Beer pit stop.

We also like to row our dink around the anchorage, checking out the boats, and waving and saying hello .

Have fun sailing and staying fit.... easy and rewarding.

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:45   #53

Boat: Atlantic 57

Cat’s the thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5D23327-36F3-43F8-97A9-8C96EC1BC31E.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	222165  
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 02:49   #54

Boat: Currently boatless

We call them bungee cords; you get different thicknesses. Put a handle on either end and a clip-on device in the middle. Clip on where convenient, depending on your tack. There are many weight-work routines you can do but for added aerobic, face away, find the right distance/tension and 'swim', occasionally reversing the motion, to work the back stroke muscle set. It really gives you an excellent aerobic workout
Hofmeyr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 06:39   #55

Long romantic walks to the refrigerator.

And tai chi, plus the occasional jujitsu.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 09:25   #56

Boat: Tennant Cordoba Catamaran 60'

Step aerobics with a small stepper or the steps up companionway. Also, resistance work with loop rope on anchor windlass drum side. Fold-up Bike with wheel tray to make stationary bike. Workout on Watch! Bike to the next Island! (Someone suggested a generator to the bike to solve charging needs but that might be bridge too far for me.)
MSVAthenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 09:25   #57

Woo, nice capdave. What cat is that? Big one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdave360 View Post
Cat’s the thing
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 18:31   #58

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

We have no room for an exercise bike but would like to get some aerobic exercise while underway or at anchor. Have you had any experience with the smaller pedal or stepper units? Something like this?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX679_.jpg
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 20:27   #59

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

At 59, and 26 years of nursing, aerobic excercise? Enjoy. This from a former triathloner. I know it’s important, But at this time enjoy a little yoga to keep me sailing. 138 lbs, but struggling with knee, back issues from my “athletic” years. Glad you can still enjoy. I really miss running.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 07:46   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
We have no room for an exercise bike but would like to get some aerobic exercise while underway or at anchor. Have you had any experience with the smaller pedal or stepper units? Something like this?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX679_.jpg
Can't answer your question about the link but I will quote myself from earlier in the discussion:

Quote:
Maintaining fitness while living on a boat is a concern of mine.

I have been using a Fitbit for years to count steps, and the newest device I have, measures heart rate.

Many years ago, we spent two weeks on a boat and I was able to get as many steps in per day, as I did when at home. At least I was until I let the battery die in the Fitbit and I lost count of some days. We spent quite a bit of time onshore walking around to buy food, sight see, get boat stuff, drop off/pick up laundry, etc. That added up to quite a bit of exercise.

Recently, we were out sailing and doing MOB drills on a sailboat. I did not get as many steps I would normally, but my heart rate was certainly elevated since we were constantly tacking and I was grinding away.

Years ago, when I started doing steps, I started to watch TV while walking in place. Sounds dumb but it works and keeps me entertained. Kinda as a joke, I started running in place to get more steps. Joke was on me since running in place was hard to do, I could not do if for long, and my heart rate went up quite a bit. So, I started running in place as well as walking. I can get my heart rate up, it was up in the 160s, a day or so ago, and get more steps done in less time. Now, I can run in place for a good 30 minutes or more. Usually I watch a YouTube video and will run until the video ends.

One of the Delo's crew was doing steps on the boat for exercise and was running in place as well.
To add to what I said previously, when I first started running in place, I could easily get my heart rate close to maximum. Now, I really have to work much harder to get my heart rate up close to maximum when running in place.

I try to get at least 20,000 steps a day and usually do, unless we are sailing. I might ONLY get 5,000 - 10,000 steps sailing but the heart rate monitor says I am getting plenty of exercise. Our day drip last week ended up with quite a bit of tacking to get to where we needed to be. It was a lovely day of sailing and the Fitbit showed my increased heart rate during the later part of the sail when we were tacking. I might not have gotten 20,000 steps that day but I got a work out.

The thing I like about walking or running in place is that I can do it anywhere at anytime and for any length of time I happen to have and the only device I need is a Fitbit or pedometer. The running in place is not as jarring as running but it seems to have me just as fit. I have gone and run a bit and the running in place surprisingly helps "real" running.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard