Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2024, 18:39   #1

Sea change

Good morning all,

I will keep this brief but I appreciate the feedback in advance. I wish to know more about the possibilities and realities of living aboard a boat full-time. I find myself in a position in life where the appeal of living full-time on a boat has the potential to be a reality, I just don't know where to start. A bit about me.

I have a boat license but minimal sailing experience, I have lived on places like Thursday Island in the Torres Strait but have only power boat experience at this stage.

I have the funds to purchase a sail-boat in the area of 120 - 160K AUS

I live just north of Brisbane AUS in a coastal town where I have access to the Morton Bay region and could learn the 'ropes' of sailing in a fairly safe and sheltered area.

I would prefer a Catamaran as opposed to a single-hull but this limits the potential boats available to me on my budget.

I would prefer to live on the boat at anchor or in a mariner for a few years until I get used to the process of what it requires to sail the open water. In this time I can re-fit any needs and learn the up-keep of engine maintenance etc. I could undertake small voyages in the local area and learn the art of sailing to gain confidence moving forward. Plus I'm more than handy with renovations and improvements on the vessel, which I could undertake in my downtime. I am aware of the long list of expenses that can be included in such a venture...

I have watched plenty of successful people on Youtube from around the world who make this a reality but they obviously have a lot more knowledge than I do. I would prefer not to make a huge mistake purchasing the wrong vessel or something that is ill-suited for my needs and that's where I am lacking important knowledge to begin this process.

I appreciate being part of this community and any direction fellow members may afford me in helping me make this a reality is greatly appreciated. Thank you for time and I look forward to any responses.

Kind regards
CA FRASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 19:07   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Sea change

CA Fraser one issue is finding a marina that will let you live aboard. Some marinas in your area are full because they only allow a certain amount of liveaboards. One 40-foot cat I know is paying $22,000 for a year in the marina including liveaboard fees. They were glad just to find a berth and a place to live.
Boat selection is impossible to decide for you until you have been on a number of boats and worked out what you do and don't like as an interior layout. There's no such thing as the wrong vessel, every boat has some compromises. You just have to choose what you can't live without. For us it was shallow draft, head room, a double bed, good size toilet compartment and sugar scoop for easy swimming and dinghy access. The rest like galley and dinette we can work around.
I would start surfing Yachthub and seeing what you do and don't like. Plenty of people try living aboard and quit fairly quickly. Three days was the shortest time clients of mine relisted their boat. The main thing is to have a go.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote