Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2014, 11:50   #31

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Lots of really great advice being dished out here! I'll just add my humble experience as a young cruiser to date..

Started off on a cheap 37' with a couple buddies living on and sailed around the NYC area. Mid twenties. Eventually decided to take a trip down the coast on her and had an absolute blast. Wouldn't change a thing, despite our lack of experience. Learning curve is fast when you make mistakes Made it back a year later.

When the time came to buy my own boat, I downsized for something small and quality. I like the 4' draft and the ease of handling. Easy to sail well. I especially like the fact that I can afford to keep her in very good condition. That said, costs have inevitably been much more than anticipated, even coming from a larger boat and knowing more or less what to expect. Suppose it can be as expensive as you want it to.

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a bigger boat, but it seems like no matter what size boat you have, you're always gonna wish you had an extra foot or two for this or that. I think my purpose-built-for-cruising 27footer is perfect for a young couple and I would only want to get something bigger if and when there are little rugrats scampering about.

My two cents. All the best man
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 01:32   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Lots of really great advice being dished out here! I'll just add my humble experience as a young cruiser to date..

Started off on a cheap 37' with a couple buddies living on and sailed around the NYC area. Mid twenties. Eventually decided to take a trip down the coast on her and had an absolute blast. Wouldn't change a thing, despite our lack of experience. Learning curve is fast when you make mistakes Made it back a year later.

When the time came to buy my own boat, I downsized for something small and quality. I like the 4' draft and the ease of handling. Easy to sail well. I especially like the fact that I can afford to keep her in very good condition. That said, costs have inevitably been much more than anticipated, even coming from a larger boat and knowing more or less what to expect. Suppose it can be as expensive as you want it to.

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a bigger boat, but it seems like no matter what size boat you have, you're always gonna wish you had an extra foot or two for this or that. I think my purpose-built-for-cruising 27footer is perfect for a young couple and I would only want to get something bigger if and when there are little rugrats scampering about.

Nicely said, laika!

Ann
Old 20-07-2014, 02:41   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post

I like this post by Laika too! My wife and I started out with a small design, narrow beamed 30' and found it very suitable. Our only need for bigger boats came with children and then their trait to keep growing larger!
Old 24-07-2014, 10:20   #34

Boat: Boatless

Here are a few suggestions I found on Youtube. On the smart phone so I don't know how to post links. Type these in the Youtube search, and enjoy.

White Spot Pirate
S/V Delos
Curtis Westsail
Drake Paragon
More hands on deck

That'll keep you busy for at least an hour.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 10:26   #35

Boat: Bristol 35

Good for you Will!!!!!! I have just signed up for an ASA class to start in Sept. Getting my finances in order (quicker than expected ) This forum has been a wealth of information (a few nay sayers but they are the minority) Keep with your plan, read as much as you can, there are lots of good books and have your crew read as well.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote