Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 04:19   #1

Sailing to Alaska

Good day, looking for some advice on Sailing to West coast Alaska from the Caribbean. Anybody know anybody that has done this?

IS BEST ROUTE, PANAMA CANAL, THEN ONTO HAWAII, THEN UP TO ALASKA FOR THE START OF THEIR SUMMER.

Best Regards
richard45cdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17   #2

Re: Sailing to Alaska

Check out Ran sailing https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLY...wUKhouIkHoqzMw

They went Panama =>Hawaii route and then a 3 week (I think) sail to Alaska.

Worth having a look at their plans.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:44   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

We're in the middle of this trip. We left Norfolk, VA in November to Antigua, Antigua to Panama late November to beat the Christmas winds, through the Canal Jan 1. You want to watch the timing, especially of the passage from HI to AK. We plan to explore Panama and Costa Rica, possibly Mexico, until late April/early May, and then cross to Hawaii. We have friends in HI, so one week +/- there. Mid to late May we'll sail to AK, probably Kodiak or Seward arriving mid-June. You don't want to get into the North Pacific too early. From personal experience the Gulf of Alaska can get gnarly in April and May.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-2019, 05:47   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Check out Ran sailing https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLY...wUKhouIkHoqzMw

They went Panama =>Hawaii route and then a 3 week (I think) sail to Alaska.

Worth having a look at their plans.

2nd watching these guys. They talk about the routing, piloting and cruise guide books they used. Beautiful scenery and completely peaceful! On our bucket list for sure!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:49   #5

Sounds amazing! thanks for messaging.

What about after Panama heading up west coast USA and Canada to Alaska? do you know if many have done this?
richard45cdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:51   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Check out this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bc-211536.html. Pay attention to Stu Jackson's answer...and his blog post.

But, as I understand it: Panama to Mexico is not so bad. Mexico to California is termed the Baja Bash and quite a bit worse. California to Vancouver Island is more challenging (almost always upwind) but doable if you have time and can wait out weather windows and Vancouver to Alaska is pretty much a piece of cake by that point.
Old 11-01-2019, 14:22   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard45cdo View Post

What about after Panama heading up west coast USA and Canada to Alaska? do you know if many have done this?
Lots of motoring and it will take multiple seasons, but doable.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard45cdo View Post

Why?

Not trying to put you off or say it can’t be done. Just wondering.

I just noticed you are in Scotland. So I am guessing you don’t currently have a boat in the Caribbean.
Is this a route you want to sail to see what’s there. Or is Alaska the destination you want to sail.

I would say putting it on a truck from the East to Pacific North West then sailing up to Alaska would be the best route.

If the voyage is the goal then it will be a heck of a trip. Lot of neat places to see along way. Are you planning to start from Scotland or by a boat in the Caribbean and start from there.

Sailing up from California to BC. I’ve considered it. It’s possibly the longest lee shore with little or no options for shelter in bad weather. Most have dangerous bars to cross if there is a westerly. Both wind and current against you.

Not sure if it’s been posted here. Three fishermen were lost Crossing an Oregon Bar a couple of days ago.
It’s a trip for the spring.

I do see the occasional British boat here.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 16:37   #9

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Cruising Lealea Youtube video on sailing from Hawaii to Alaska on their 27ft Albin Vega is a pretty good watch.. It might give you some idea on what expect concerning conditions and time frame leaving Hawaii. Other than that I can only offer experience on what sailing conditions are like up here, which is similar to the North Atlantic.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 23:04   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In 1997, my family and I sailed from Cabo San Lucas on the tip of Baja California to Hawaii - great sail, took 18 days. Six weeks in the islands and left for Sitka, Alaska but the Pacific High was huge and very light winds - until we were hit by a 986-millibar low that forced us to deploy a sea anchor for a day.

Loved cruising Alaska and BC. Want to go back.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, sail, sailing