Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 09:45   #1

Sailing a British flagged boat to the USA - What paperwork is required?

Hello,

We have an American friend sailing our British flagged boat (36ft catamaran) from the Bahamas to Miami.

Since he is a US citizen he won't need a visa, but can he just sail to the US on our boat and clear in, or do we need any special paperwork to have a British sailboat enter the US?

We (I am Dutch and my partner is British) plan to fly to the US later this year to sail there for 2 months and then leave the US with our boat.

I hope anyone can help! Thanks.
SY No-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 12:22   #2

Boat: Westerly Chieftain
Re: Sailing a British flagged boat to the USA - What paperwork is required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY No-Mad View Post
Hello,

We (I am Dutch and my partner is British) plan to fly to the US later this year to sail there for 2 months and then leave the US with our boat.

I hope anyone can help! Thanks.

Normally when one flies to the USA you use the Visa Waiver program. I believe that as you will be leaving on a boat you will have to enter the USA using a full visa. Beware it can take time. It is worth checking this.
Bilgediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 19:12   #3

Re: Sailing a British flagged boat to the USA - What paperwork is required?

I suggest a letter of authority that your friend is skippering your boat. He will need your boat papers, for CBP to issue a cruising permit for your boat, plus $19 fee for permit. This must be done immediately on arrival, in person at a Port of Entry. I take it he will be using the ROAM app first to clear himself in. Not sure how the name on the cruising permit will work, that needs checking. The boat can only stay in US waters for a year, then must leave for 14 days. This is my best guess, please do call CBP to confirm. This number is a helpful CBP lady in Jacksonville. Linda +19047143100
Wild Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing, work