Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 19:16   #1

Insurance

Ok. I’m having an issue with multiple insurance companies. The largest pleasure boat I’ve ever owned was 37.5 feet. I’m wanting to upgrade to a 67 foot live aboard. However, I can’t find an insurance company that’s willing to write me due to the 30 foot upgrade. I’m being told they don’t like it if you increase more than 15 feet. I’m 57 years old. I’ve been boating my entire late teen and adult life. Never had a claim. What’s the answer???? Anyone heard of this and have a work around?? Thanks!!!
Bigred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 19:55   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Insurance

Generally they want to see years of ownership, and experience in operation. Something similar to logging time and distance for a captain's license. I would lead with that. Plus do you have any experience with larger boats, even if you didnt own them. For instance, I crewed on a three-week delivery of a 50 ft cat, even though I only owned a 28 ft tri at the time. Gulf crossing, night sailing, navigation, etc. I would write that up and lead with that. Every insurance company for the last two catamarans we have owned have requested it. The broker was the first one to suggest getting it together, to help him secure quotes.

Just my experience.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 20:55   #3

Much appreciated sailjumanji. Yes. I have some experience on a friends 45 footer. Mai ku up and down ICW and over to Bahamas but that would be it. And of course nothing officially logged and such. What kind of evidence do they require?
Bigred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 05:42   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred63 View Post
Much appreciated sailjumanji. Yes. I have some experience on a friends 45 footer. Mai ku up and down ICW and over to Bahamas but that would be it. And of course nothing officially logged and such. What kind of evidence do they require?
Just do your honest best to document the time it occurred, and distance. No one ever asked for evidence. I guess if they did, you could provide owner name. Itll never get to that.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 06:04   #5

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

I had a similar experience - was looking at Chubb and boutique insurance to see if I could save money. I saved a ton because none of them would give me insurance.

I went with Geico BoatUS insurance - I had them on my current smaller boat but thought I needed a different insurer for a larger boat - no hassle and they gave me insurance covering Canada and US. Which I needed to take the boat from Key West where it was located to NJ on my maiden voyage... I told them and they did not say boo...
Love2 boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 10:52   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Try upping the excess (deductible). Insurance is all about risk and inexperience increases the risk increasing the excess mitigates it. Doesn't always work but worth a try.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance