Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 16:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 22'
Sail around the world for 30,000$?

Hey everyone, my life goal is to sail around the world after i graduate(or don't graduate) from college. I'm going to try and buy a boat for 30grand or less. What is the best recommenced boat in that price range. (I'm not very worried about my safety). I know there are 30-40 foot boats that are pre 80's in this price range.

Any tips to sail around the world.

I don't want to go solo either. I hoping to go with at least 1 other person with at upward of 4 total people aboard.

Is there even enough room for 2 people in a boat that size?
Jaded57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 17:10   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Sail around the world for 30,000$?

Sure you can squeeze 4 people into a 30-40 footer, but with a $30K budget, you won't make it. How about flying to a couple of nice destinations, then locally charter a sailboat for 10 days in each destination? Some nice destinations in the Caribbean: British Virgin Islands and the Grenadines. Or, you can go for one fabulous, albeit pricey, destination: French Polynesia. Other destinations would be in the NE Mediterranean (Greece, Turkey), Eastern Australia (Great Barrier Reef) and the Seychelles (Indian Ocean). Have fun! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 17:15   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Welcome aboard.
Lots of boats to choose from. Do you have sailing experience? Are you looking for speed, safety, comfort? Are you going to singlehanded or take crew for legs of the trip?
Lots of people have sailed RTW, try searching this forum for other threads similar to yours.
My parents sailed RTW. Took 5 years, averaged 30,000 year in expenses. You can go cheaper. There is a great thread here about cruising on 500 a month.
Some boats to look at
Albergs
Albin Vegas
Searunner tris ( speed) be sure it's fiberglass, the plywood tris will sink ( personal experience) and are for the experienced
Cals
Columbia

Here is a list of RTW single handers and their vesselsLIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS

Start reading, taking classes on navigation, sail handling, weather reading.
Don't pay attention to the nay Sayers, just do your homework.

If escape is what you want, you could always crew for boats in the tropics. Crewing can give you experience and a better idea of the vessel you want.

Cheers, good luck
Erika

PS
When you go off shore, you are not just taking your life in your hands but also possibly put fellow sailors and rescue personal in harms way. Good seamanship, learn what that means...ok getting off my soapbox
Old 03-02-2013, 17:17   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Sorry skipped over the no single handing.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:41   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

All depends on your comfort level. I just watched Taxi Driver on a flatscreen and had a cold beer, all powered by solar. Do you wanna play cards in the dark? I havent run my main diesel in a month, but I know people that do every day for power. Most small boat issues are only stylishly resolved for $2000, the biggies cost $5000 (engine work,sails,rigging). My RTW was postponed because although my boat is totally bitchin, I didnt wanna be poor and boot lippin in another country. I realized i wanted a $10k dinghy now, rather than a leaky dink in some other place. Just start doing it and your plans will change/adapt to reality.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:15   #6

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

explore this site
EYE of the World
they did it.
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:44   #7

Boat: Bristol 34

Start here. Atom Voyages - Home.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:49   #8

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Welcome aboard.
Lots of boats to choose from. Do you have sailing experience? Are you looking for speed, safety, comfort? Are you going to singlehanded or take crew for legs of the trip?
Lots of people have sailed RTW, try searching this forum for other threads similar to yours.
My parents sailed RTW. Took 5 years, averaged 30,000 year in expenses. You can go cheaper. There is a great thread here about cruising on 500 a month.
Some boats to look at
Albergs
Albin Vegas
Searunner tris ( speed) be sure it's fiberglass, the plywood tris will sink ( personal experience) and are for the experienced
Cals
Columbia

Here is a list of RTW single handers and their vesselsLIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS

Start reading, taking classes on navigation, sail handling, weather reading.
Don't pay attention to the nay Sayers, just do your homework.

If escape is what you want, you could always crew for boats in the tropics. Crewing can give you experience and a better idea of the vessel you want.

Cheers, good luck
Erika

PS
When you go off shore, you are not just taking your life in your hands but also possibly put fellow sailors and rescue personal in harms way. Good seamanship, learn what that means...ok getting off my soapbox
Nice list on the link, but no vessel manufacturer for most. Except for the Pearson Triton, C&C 38, Endurance pilothouse ketch, Ericson, Allied Seawind, and no one ever mentions a Seafarer (McCurdy & Rhodes), it has a blue water pedigree...or a Westsail built like a brick and serious blue water!

Here is a good link too....http://atomvoyages.com/planning/good...oats-list.html
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As to sailing around the world for $30K, thats doable. But you have to have the boat first and in good condition. I would recommend getting a $20K boat because your going to spend at least $10K fixing it up. No matter what you buy. So for $50-60K it is possible to buy a boat and sail around the world. Probably need to look in the 30 to 40 year old range too.

If all you have is $30K then you can get a boat and fix it up and do a short 3-6 month cruise. But YMMV
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:11   #10

Boat: Catalina 22'

The 30k is strictly to spend on the boat + boat repairs. I plan on spending at least another couple grand on supplies.
What boat would you recommend?
What are the dangers of fiberglass vs. Wood in the ocean

Thanks for the help so far!
Jaded57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Avoid wood boats, unless you know wood working really well. Ocean Girls list of boats is a good start. Anything in the early to late 70's will be built strong. Checking the bulletin boards at the marinas is good too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:24   #12
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Its not as much about brand as it is about getting one thats in the best shape for your budget. Look at lots, but you'd be way better off with a experienced boater at your side.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded57 View Post
Hey everyone, my life goal is to sail around the world after i graduate(or don't graduate) from college. I'm going to try and buy a boat for 30grand or less. What is the best recommenced boat in that price range. (I'm not very worried about my safety). I know there are 30-40 foot boats that are pre 80's in this price range.

Any tips to sail around the world.

I don't want to go solo either. I hoping to go with at least 1 other person with at upward of 4 total people aboard.

Is there even enough room for 2 people in a boat that size?
If you are not worried about your saftey any old boat would do,and you can get one for a lot less than 30 k,but you were just kidding about your saftey ,right?...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:07   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Bottom line is, it is very doable if you have the skills. If not you can learn like most of us did along the way during ownership but it may postpone your plans a year or two. For 20K you van get a Pearson Vanguard 32 and 10K will modernize it. Not a rocket ship but not a slug either.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:35   #15

Boat: Bristol 34

Cape Dory also offers good value for money, though no make of boat is without its drawbacks and everything in sailing is a trade-off.

30' to 34' is a good size range combining less expensive maintenance, operating costs and easier handling.

4 people on a 30' boat for long periods may be a challenge though. My 34 footer comfortably sails 12 people, sleeps 6 and cruises 2.

I've seen a few late seventies to early eighties Cape Dorys well within your budget that would require about another $10k to $15k or so to outfit for offshore work.

There's way to much to ask on this forum, so you may want to start searching for some books on the subject. There are plenty out there that can answer a lot of your questions and prime your enthusiasm.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail