Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 12:31   #1

Recirculating Fresh Water Shower

I was wondering if anyone has installed a recirculating shower in their boat?

The ideal system would have multistage filtration, designated pump, and a small hot water heater that would reheat the already warm water.
I would treat this like a bath, shower and soap up first, clean off, then add water to be recirculated, enjoy the luxury of an long hot fresh water shower. Then at the end, if you feel you need it, rinse again and drain the system.

Might be a little complex but it sounds like a great way to save water and power if you want enjoy a luxurious hot shower off grid.

Do you know any companies that sell a kit?

Cheers,
Jon
swellseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:43   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Recirculating Fresh Water Shower

Google "recycling shower" and you will find quite a few ideas, but the complexity is such that most sailors will opt for a swim and a navy (fast) shower). I always take fast showers. But the idea is intriguing and I'll be following. If you have a shower sump pump, a few valves and some filtration should do it.
Old 10-08-2022, 15:03   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Many years ago, I had looked into this.

It seemed as though a standard marine water maker was more simple. And I remember somewhere there was a bit of a danger to doing this.

It was either an issue with legionella or something like that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 15:25   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Do it. If you need anything printed I have some wonderful TPU to handle fluids.
It’s a great idea and I think standard fare on subs. Certainly on the space station or Dune!
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

It was either an issue with legionella or something like that.
Yea I think I've seen a forum about that too. I think using a holding tank that stores the grey water would be the biggest contributor to that issue. Also if the hot water heater remained hot for several days, I think you could get some interesting germs.
swellseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 20:24   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Shower less , when I was growing up bath night was only on Saturdays whether you needed it or not !
Old 10-08-2022, 20:51   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

First having screens (I 3d print filters with decreasing hole size for some pumps I use) and then eventually on to carbon and ceramic filters I would use at least 4 or 5 stages.

If you used vortex filters there would be some rejection, but this may be a reasonable trade to remove oils. Otherwise, standard canister filter, and a UV stage because otherwise you can give yourself pinkeye due to the recirculating nature.

The UV is needed to ensure any pathogens washed off of your own body are not active. The side effect is it would also heat the water somewhat.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:12   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Yuk??
Old 11-08-2022, 06:02   #9

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Double yuck. The manatee crew lives on a yacht not a fishing boat.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:29   #10

I get that the idea of a recirculating shower isn't for everyone. But idea of a long, warm/hot shower with ample water flow sounds pretty apealing to me--especially on a cool/cold day. And, especially if it could be done with little fresh water use, low energy use, and little water going into holding tanks.

I've looked into recirculating showers quite a bit for a future Vanlife build. There are lots of examples of Vanlife recirculating showers on YouTube, but I think they mostly get it wrong--They load a closed system with ~10 gallons of water and then a complex filtration system with the intention to re-use the water for days/weeks. Longer term use requires replacing/cleaning the filters, UV for help keep it sanitay, dealing with clogs, and using special soaps with no scents (filters don't remove scents.)

I believe a much better approach is to (re)circulate as little water as possible (like less than a gallon) but to change the water once or twice during a single person's shower and always completely change it between showers. Every shower starts with clean water and ends with an empty system. Because you replace the water whenever it's dirty, the need for filtering is drastically reduced. Also, recirculation also dramatically reduces the energy needed to heat, possibly making the system capable of running from electric/battery.

A system like the Hour Shower uses very little water in the system and a single, simple filter. I believe one could have a high-pressure, high flow, endless, hot shower for just a few gallons. Version 2 of that system system uses a heat exchanger to (re)heat the recirculated water without any contact/interaction with the house water system, a temperature controlled mixing valve to keep it at the perfect temperature. In use, I would expect to rinse off to get the majority of dirty off the body with water going down the drain, then start the recirculation and stay in as long as you want. Maybe change water again after soaping. A small electric water heat could be run from battery bank and provide ample heat as long as it's being recirculated.

Again, it's not for everyone, but I believe it could be done in a way that provides a benefit without too many downsides.
svangheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:51   #11

I think a more apt name would be "recirculating raw water shower". Once the shower water has run past the salt, sweat and oils on my body, backside and privates and then run past my stinky feet and toe cheese and then past all the bacteria growing on the bottom of the shower pan and pipes ... I don't think it can honestly be called "fresh".
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 13:17   #12

they used to use recirculating drinking fountains too
Old 11-08-2022, 13:57   #13

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

OK...brain function test time.
Who remembers the Seinfeld episode when George got caught peeing in the shower at the gym.
I rest my case. Cause a prior post caused coffee to recirculate out my nose.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 18:27   #14

just remember all showers are a loop

The water you are using peed by countless dinosaurs.
Old 11-08-2022, 18:49   #15

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Talking fecal fountain blues: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7131a1_w

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...y-splash-pads/

Tags
shower, water