Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 17:33   #1

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Places to leave your boat and fly home

I am just starting full time, live aboard cruising. One of the issues I have is finding places to leave my boat and fly to: visit kids, attend weddings, etc, etc. These trips keep me away from the boat for 3-7 days. Similar issues arise when meeting guests that join you for short term cruisng. Some of the issues in doing this are:

1. Secure place to leave the boat
2. Reasonably priced- this usually means a mooring ball. Almost all marinas are too expensive
3. Secure place to leave the dinghy if on a mooring ball or preferably launch or water taxi service available
4. Reasonably close to an airport
5. The airport is large enough to offer choices and therefore low fares.

So this is what I have found so far. Please add your own to the list, so we can develop a comprehensive, US wide list

1. Ft Myers Beach- Cheap moorings- $13 per night, close to significant airport. Dinghy dock security is an issue.
2. Miami area- Coconut Grove Sailing Club has moorings for $35 per day. High but everything in Miami is high. Close to airport. Launch service available.
3. Vero Beach, FL- Cheap moorings, secure dinghy dock. But a long way to nearest airport- Melbourne and not cheap fares.
4. Charleston, SC- No moorings that I can find, but Charleston Maritime Center is reasonable at $1.50 per ft, and convenient to airport.
5. Annapolis, MD- Nice moorings, water taxi available. Shuttle service to Baltimore airport, cheap fares.
6. Naranganset Bay- East Greenich Yacht Club has reasonable moorings and launch service. Quick taxi ride to Providence Airport.

Please add your own.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 17:53   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

David, even if the security at the dingy dock is good, you might consider giving one of the employees a twenty and asking him to run you in, and keep an eye on the boat while you're gone. (Adjust the tip to the local tipping scale, bring back a bottle or something on the return trip.) Cheap insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote