I am just starting full time, live aboard
cruising. One of the issues I have is finding places to leave my boat
and fly to: visit kids
, attend weddings, etc, etc. These trips keep me away from the boat
for 3-7 days. Similar issues arise when meeting guests that join you for short term cruisng. Some of the issues in doing this are:
1. Secure place to leave the boat
2. Reasonably priced- this usually means a mooring
ball. Almost all marinas
are too expensive
3. Secure place to leave the dinghy
if on a mooring
ball or preferably launch or water
4. Reasonably close to an airport
5. The airport
is large enough to offer choices and therefore low fares.
So this is what I have found so far. Please add your own to the list, so we can develop a comprehensive, US wide list
1. Ft Myers Beach- Cheap
moorings- $13 per night, close to significant airport. Dinghy dock security
is an issue.
area- Coconut Grove Sailing Club has moorings for $35 per day. High but everything in Miami
is high. Close to airport. Launch service
3. Vero Beach, FL- Cheap
moorings, secure dinghy dock
. But a long way to nearest airport- Melbourne and not cheap fares.
4. Charleston, SC- No moorings that I can find, but Charleston Maritime Center is reasonable at $1.50 per ft, and convenient to airport.
, MD- Nice moorings, water
taxi available. Shuttle service to Baltimore
airport, cheap fares.
6. Naranganset Bay- East Greenich Yacht Club has reasonable moorings and launch service. Quick taxi ride to Providence Airport.
Please add your own.