Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 20:08   #46

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Pearson 36 Sloop - Opinions?

There are always newbs saying "oh, I wish I could find a really good boat, all ready to go, at a reasonable price I could afford".

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973...s#.Vtpcp30rLq7

Well, there it is. Ready to go. No 2 years of refit, living in a boat yard. And no one buys it.

I had the same trouble selling my Pearson 30 last summer. It had all the features everyone wants. Everyone said what a great boat it was. But it took a long time and several big price reductions to find someone willing to buy a 40 year old boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 20:31   #47

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
There are always newbs saying "oh, I wish I could find a really good boat, all ready to go, at a reasonable price I could afford".

1973 Pearson 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Well, there it is. Ready to go. No 2 years of refit, living in a boat yard. And no one buys it.

I had the same trouble selling my Pearson 30 last summer. It had all the features everyone wants. Everyone said what a great boat it was. But it took a long time and several big price reductions to find someone willing to buy a 40 year old boat.
I think a lot of that is people wind up buying a cheaper boat that needs a lot of work, then spend the 2 years and just as much money if not more than they would have in the first place finding one that is close to being ready to go.

Underestimating the cost of what it will actually cost to get a boat in the water and under way is something I think leads to a lot of folks buying a cheap fixer uper and then years later they are selling it, or the boat yard is selling it because they can no longer afford it.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 22:21   #48

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

I've always liked the p36 cutter or sloop rig...but the draft puts me off ..as well as the v drive..yuck....I bought my 40 yr old 36' after the po refit everything structural...they had it 13 years, .. everything major was refit...awesome job was done..on an awesome boat..no core , no rot, solid decks, tabbing and hull deck joint are excellent on an exceptionally thick hand laid hull..3 1/2 months on the hard with over 40k refit, rebed keel etc...I talked for hours with the English bloke who did a shipwright job on her about the extensive mind blowing work done... 1976 Charley Morgan design and built, West Indies 36...I couldn't be happier..
best of luck to you...as with mine, they didn't make many of this model..due to financial difficulties,..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEST INDIES 36 HAULOUT 6  2014.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	120028   Click image for larger version

Name:	West Indies seabiscuit undr sail.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	120029  

Old 05-03-2016, 05:25   #49

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
I've always liked the p36 cutter or sloop rig...but the draft puts me off ..as well as the v drive..yuck....I bought my 40 yr old 36' after the po refit everything structural...they had it 13 years, .. everything major was refit...awesome job was done..on an awesome boat..no core , no rot, solid decks, tabbing and hull deck joint are excellent on an exceptionally thick hand laid hull..3 1/2 months on the hard with over 40k refit, rebed keel etc...I talked for hours with the English bloke who did a shipwright job on her about the extensive mind blowing work done... 1976 Charley Morgan design and built, West Indies 36...I couldn't be happier..
best of luck to you...as with mine, they didn't make many of this model..due to financial difficulties,..
That is a nice looking Yacht, thanks for sharing!

Also I do know not all of of the P36'es have a V drive. Not sure what years did and what didn't. would probably be worth looking into before I get much further into this.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41   #50

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
Underestimating the cost of what it will actually cost to get a boat in the water and under way is something I think leads to a lot of folks buying a cheap fixer uper and then years later they are selling it, or the boat yard is selling it because they can no longer afford it.
I saw exactly what you have described, time and time again, when looking for a boat to buy. One boat in particular comes to mind. An engineer, who wanted "the perfect boat" had built a steel hulled Roberts design. He had spent about 15 years on it. Just as it was near completion, he came down with a bad case of alzheimers. The wife brought him to the boat, to answer my technical questions, which, of course, he could not. The wife had waited patiently for 15 years to go sailing in the caribbean. The boat was named "Folly".
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 10:37   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
Sounds like your repair would actually hold someone on board a pitching deck. Thanks again.
I am under the impression that stanchions are made to hold "guard rails" or "lifeline cables" that are there only to let you know where the side of the decks are. The only thing I would trust to hold me on a pitching deck is a well-connected jackline and a good two tether safety harness.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 10:41   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

1973 Pearson 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Somethings were made better 40 years ago. Some people listen to vinyl on tube amplifiers, preferring them to mp3s. Other people don't know the difference in quality.

They buy Bavarias, 'cause they're cheap...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, sloop