Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 15:29   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Packing tips?

I'm going back to the boat and packing my bags. My bags always get inspected. This year I'm checking 2 bags and they are full. I'm wondering if you left a note for the TSA person, would they take care of how I have packed my bag? I've had some inspectors toss my bag and leave it in shambles. This time, everything will not fit if it's not put back the same way. Do they care?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:34   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Packing tips?

Get bigger bags?
Don’t go to places that are likely to be drug transit points?
Cut your hair?
Shave the ‘stache?
Wear a tie & jacket?
Let someone else go ahead of you so you are not the 7th person in line?
Try wearing black leather shoes instead of sneakers?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 00:24   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Packing tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I'm going back to the boat and packing my bags. My bags always get inspected. This year I'm checking 2 bags and they are full. I'm wondering if you left a note for the TSA person, would they take care of how I have packed my bag? I've had some inspectors toss my bag and leave it in shambles. This time, everything will not fit if it's not put back the same way. Do they care?
My short answer is that, no, i don't think they care. Their job is different from ours. We want to get our stuff home to the boat in good condition. They want to search bags thoroughly and quickly.

I had a little laptop computer, approximately the size of a tablet, and I stapled up a bubble wrap envelope for it. I put the computer in the envelope, and taped a stickit to the envelope, which said, " Please put my computer back in the envelope when you've checked it. I hope to protect it from violent baggage handling." One time, it was put back in the envelope, which was in the center of all the clothes. Another, it was not. YMMV

So, I'd say, it will depend on variables of the people who look at your possessions. I would imagine if you label bubble wrapped items, so they can see it on their fluoroscopes or x-rays, it may be okay. I'm not confident enough of this to give a percentage, but I would say maybe. Maybe 30%. But then, I am not an optimist child, either.

Ann