Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 16:47   #316

Boat: Pearson 30'
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Even more ironically, with the move towards hybrid and electric cars, several states are looking to change the rules to tax high MPG cars as they aren't paying thier fair share.

(By the way, the bike argument is an interesting tidbit but was never a major factor in the expansion of the road system.)

Laws are restrictive in nature. They are usually made when people fail to reasonably restrict themselves voluntarily. If you go back 50 yrs ago, there were no laws against sexual harrasement, so by your logic that anything not prohibited must be legal, was it legal and more importantly "right" to goose the secratary when she bent over 50 yrs ago?

This guy needs to be careful. He's rallying the troops to enact anchoring rules.

Not really the ones that are rallying the troops to enact anchoring rules are the ones that use terms like real cruisers. It was a "real" cruiser that told the town it needs anchoring limits.
Limit Stays In Anchorage, A Way To Welcome More Boats | TownDock.net, Oriental NC
Town dock in their reply doesn't even read it's own letters. He said clearly that all 10 years he has been here there has always been long term boats in the harbor. But when the "real" cruiser ilk put that wall up what they do is divide the community. But what I love the "real" cruiser saying the most is "Every long term “floating house” or “convenient place to store my boat” you ask to relocate to one of the many viable anchorages nearby (but not walking distance to the restaurants and downtown businesses)",,,, What,,, Not within walking distance, If that's not saying go to the back of the bus in huge neon letters I don't know what is.
Old 17-09-2013, 16:49   #317

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
pity me not , tis the burden of pragmatists the world over.

dave
Nihilist is more like it, but suit yourself.
Old 17-09-2013, 16:55   #318

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
A way of imposing ones societal norms on those that prefer otherwise. it was once " common decency" to love people up for homosexual acts for example. It was once : common decency" for a women who married to be banned from working in the civil service.

should I continue.
please do...you haven't begun to touch the basics....the same rules of common decency go back before time...I'm sorry you can't see it...
Old 17-09-2013, 16:58   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
We obviously have two completely different definitions of decency. So If I'm in your way, I should move aside and let my betters through.

Hum...Still laughing!
no one is talking betters...where did you get that?

hot day at the drinking fountain...when I've had a drink...do I let you have one before I gorge myself on the second and make you wait? maybe till you wander off and think I'm a twit?

common decency goes back to before fire was important...it is usually easy to define...sure it can be complicated but not really...only if you make it.

I guess if it were me...I'd anchor up the creek for a couple days....see when there's an open "choice spot"...move over and enjoy...get what I needed for a week or so...then move back out of the way....till the next time I needed something and there was an opening for a night or two.

If you can't perform the task of moving your boat...maybe it's time you figure something else out before something worse happens.
Old 17-09-2013, 17:01   #320
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
ROFLMAO. Your funny....

Go ahead and do that now. There are no laws being broken by the three boats in question. Well maybe with the frenchy and the visa thing. But as they are not Hispanic, its probably a non-issue to INS.

Let me know how that works for ya...
Actually I'm impressed with Orientals tolerance of the 'Frenchy's' considering 'Freedom Fries' and the mass smashing of French wine in supermarkets not so long ago...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-09-2013, 17:04   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually I'm impressed with Orientals tolerance of the 'Frenchy's' considering 'Freedom Fries' and the mass smashing of French wine in supermarkets not so long ago...
Now that's NOT common decency...I would have protested the smashing of ANY wine.... business is business of course...
Old 17-09-2013, 17:04   #322
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
an Im stirring it.

Dave
Old 17-09-2013, 17:04   #323

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
You have avoided so many direct questions that, while I would enjoy continuing this discussion, I think we all need to just let this go and we'll agree to disagree. You don't want to be reasonable about the subject of sharing community assets or just letting the community make its own rules about its own shoreline. Moreover, you falsely accuse a very fair publication of launching a smear effort and make up your own statistics about the town's tourism. I thank you for finally doing what some asked you nicely to do and hope you are learning that there are sometimes when doing what's right is the decent and communal thing to do, and you should sometimes do them without having to get your ego stroked. Pity.

Thanks for your time.
Old 17-09-2013, 17:06   #324
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

hot day at the drinking fountain...when I've had a drink...do I let you have one before I gorge myself on the second and make you wait? maybe till you wander off and think I'm a twit?

common decency goes back to before fire was important...it is usually easy to define...sure it can be complicated but not really...only if you make it.

I guess if it were me...I'd anchor up the creek for a couple days....see when there's an open "choice spot"...move over and enjoy...get what I needed for a week or so...then move back out of the way....till the next time I needed something and there was an opening for a night or two.

If you can't perform the task of moving your boat...maybe it's time you figure something else out before something worse happens.

Sorry this is holywood, white picket nonsense coupled with mob violence. What actually happens is a commercial operation takes over the water fountain and then charges people to drink from it. Stop romanticising .

Dave
Old 17-09-2013, 17:07   #325

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Other boats should have a turn, truly. Sharing is the issue. Goth does a decent thing by moving on for a while. His time has been quite long, but the French boat has broken the most rules. The frenzy starts with them. I don't buy it that they need the town's help. The two able bodied folks should long ago have bartered some sweat equity for their needed parts but they didn't.

Does anyone know the status of the other two boats? Abandoned?
Old 17-09-2013, 17:10   #326
Nearly an old salt

The funny thing about all this , is there are multiple claims of illegality

* illegal alien
* theft
* un seaworthy/safe vessel
* vagrancy

yet despite all the huffing and puffing, no action was taken by the authorities, which might suggest that such claims do not stand up to inspection.

Hence what we see is an "whispering" campaign to smear people so as to allow the "mob" to work up a head of steam. I don't like what I see here.

Dave
Old 17-09-2013, 17:12   #327
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
Other boats should have a turn, truly. Sharing is the issue. Goth does a decent thing by moving on for a while. His time has been quite long, but the French boat has broken the most rules. The frenzy starts with them. I don't buy it that they need the town's help. The two able bodied folks should long ago have bartered some sweat equity for their needed parts but they didn't.

Does anyone know the status of the other two boats? Abandoned?
If they are do not have work visas, doing paying work would get them deported , before their feet touched the ground.

"French boat has broken the most rules."

what rules exactly, that the thing , they specifically haven't broken the rules or law enforcement would undoutably begin

"The frenzy starts with them"

what frenzy have they specifically started. the merely "by existing" one, it seems

Surely one of two things can be done ( a) Instigate some reasonable anchoring laws, (b) put up and shut up.

dave
Old 17-09-2013, 17:16   #328

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Sorry this is holywood, white picket nonsense coupled with mob violence. What actually happens is a commercial operation takes over the water fountain and then charges people to drink from it. Stop romanticising .

Dave
Dang Dave. Why do you have to be right? Sad isn't it that you are.

But for the few slots left the water fountain analogy is a good one. I fail to see why a little thought for others is so hard. But then I lose a lot while standing in what I think is a "fair" line.
Old 17-09-2013, 17:24   #329
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Dang Dave. Why do you have to be right? Sad isn't it that you are.

But for the few slots left the water fountain analogy is a good one. I fail to see why a little thought for others is so hard. But then I lose a lot while standing in what I think is a "fair" line.
Im not arguing for lenient action. Im not arguing for "fair". ( because in history "fair" is determined by the victors).

You either deal with this by rule of law , a law that acts impartially on all. or you put up and shut up. I mean you think the US is "fair", I would call it many things but not "fair" ( and many other societies too BTW).

Seeking some sort of common decency or so called "fairness" is entirely biased, It was once "fair" to deny certain sections of the population the vote, it was once "fair" to lock up certain consenting adults, it was once "fair" for the Anglican church to deny certain "pilgrims" their religious freedoms….etc , ad nauseum. thats why we instated a state of law, to set forth a reasonable set of limits to whats "fair"

dave
Old 17-09-2013, 17:25   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Well when you were going to call your buddies in the government to take care of that riff-raft anchored where you wanted to anchor. Sounds very aristocratic to me.

Quote:
maybe till you wander off and think I'm a twit?
pretty much.

Quote:
I guess if it were me...I'd anchor up the creek for a couple days....see when there's an open "choice spot"...move over and enjoy...get what I needed for a week or so...then move back out of the way....till the next time I needed something and there was an opening for a night or two..
Hum. Wasn't it you who was going to call out the marines/government first on the anchor outs. So its decent if I get out of your way.. and if I don't you'll make me. That is mighty decent of you.

Quote:
Didn't Hitler say something like that some time ago....

I'm still thinking my definition of decency is way different then yours.
Closed Thread