Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 05:21   #1

Oregon Coast

Does anyone liveaboard on the Oregon Coast? What are winters like?
wswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 05:44   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Oregon Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswhiting View Post
Wet and stormy!
Old 19-09-2014, 06:47   #3

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

It rains more there than just about any other place in the States. Not bitterly cold, but the continuous rain can get a bit old after a while.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:08   #4

Yes, I lived in Eugene for four years and I am familiar with the rain. I was wondering if marinas allowed liveaboards, specifically Coos Bay, OR.
wswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:12   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

I worked on a crab boat out of Warrenton, OR one year, from Oct. to Feb, rained every day, on Feb 2 it snowed, on Feb 3 I was on a plane to Hawaii. Not for me thanks.
Old 19-09-2014, 07:19   #6

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
Rain, Rain, and more Rain!

Unless you have a reason to be there, IE job or other reason, there are much prettier places in the winter.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:44   #7

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
So, so far you have 2 members from Alaska who wouldn't live aboard in Oregon. On the other hand, if you live aboard in Newport you would be walking distance from the Rogue brewery.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 08:02   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Yes, I lived in Eugene for four years and I am familiar with the rain. I was wondering if marinas allowed liveaboards, specifically Coos Bay, OR.
I spent a few months in Coos Bay when we bought our boat, Had it hauled in there and documented there due to tax reasons..
I dont think the issue of living aboard ever came up.. there were a few people that did live on there boats ...
Same as Brookins, we rented a slip for a year but the liveaboard issue was never brought up..
Even in the boat yard, there are people living in their boats while its on stands..

Short story,
While in Coos Bay, we heard about a boat on the hard there.. it was a ferro cement but you couldnt tell it by looking at it.. had been built by a company up in Canada.. really nice boat, about 45 foot..
The story was that a lady had purchased the boat at a healthy price and had it brought down to Coos Bay.. had the interior pulled for a re-design job and thats where it stopped, bare hull with all interior in a 40 foot container..
after a year or so, she sold the boat for a fraction of what she paid for it and the new owner had all the interior put back into the boat.. thats about when I showed up.. it was just about to be splashed..
The New owner showed up one day, said he had been to the doctor and was told he had cancer with only a short time to live.. passed the word around the boatyard that he'd sell to anyone willing to take over the boat..
He sold it to a couple college students (for a couple grand I heard) working part time in the yard..
They moved the boat out back into the yard, ran a power cord to the boat and moved in....
Last time I heard of the boat, it was being used as an apartment on the hard, in the boat yard,...... and such a good looking boat..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 18:38   #9

Yes, liveaboards are allowed in Coos Bay.....they are at the dock right in the center of town. Spoke with a fellow a month ago there on his boat...he's lived there for more than a half-dozen years. I remember speaking to him last year too..
ironhorserider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 21:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There are two liveaboards on my dock just down from me in Warrenton. Not everyone's cup of tea but they like it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 21:56   #11

Boat: Caliber 40

Something to consider about living aboard anywhere north of the California border and west of the Cascade range.

Every morning you have to get up and walk, in the RAIN, Drizzle, Dampness, chilly wind, to the restroom. Then every evening you repeat the process.

That is a long cold uncomfortable walk!

And, there is no way to avoid it.

That walk is the single biggest reason we no long live aboard in the NW.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 22:13   #12

There was a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye is interviewed and he rants about how everything is GREEN GREEN GREEN (except blood - the blood is still red).

Change Green to Grey (and damp) and that's the Oregon coast...

If you look at the amount of rain they get each year it's not at all impressive. However, look at the number of days per year it rains and it's mind-blowing.

...calling it rain isn't really fair though. Unlike most places I've lived the "rain" there is barely wet. You can walk a mile in it and brush the wet off your coat most of the time.

TacomaSailor mentioned damp and drizzle. That's exactly it!

If you've never experienced it, it doesn't sound like a big deal. And it's not. At first...

Personally, after a few years it really got to me. Native Oregonians for the most part are OK with it, but I dare say that's 'cause they don't know any better...

All that said, if you are OK w/ constant (as in months at a time) grey skies and dampness - it's a pretty nice place in other respects.

PS: Found the Hawkeye quote:

"Interviewer: What do you feel was the most difficult thing you had to adjust to over here?

Hawkeye: I think it's that everything is painted green. The clothes are green, the food is green - except the vegetables, of course. The only thing that's not green is the blood - the blood is red... that's what you get the most of here."
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 19:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've transited the Oregon Coast many times in the navy, commercial fished salmon and tuna and now live aboard near the Oregon Coast. If you can't stand rain, drizzle, dampness and or grey skys, it's not for you.
On the other hand, in winter there's few tourists, little traffic and all the ports that have fishing fleets don't seem to care if you're there all the time. A few require you to get underway once a month. Some lefty counties (near Portland) don't allow liveaboards because they want nothing in the water, no shower water, sink water, etc. You have to either have all discharges hooked up to sewage or a holding tank big enough to convince the dock nazi's you do regular travels to a dump station.
Even though there are many Coast Guard approved sanitation systems, that's not good enough in the green counties. I use a incinolet and stay at a private dock. It beats living in any neighborhood.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 21:44   #14

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

This year the rainfall is 5 inches below average,
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 08:23   #15

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Something to consider about living aboard anywhere north of the California border and west of the Cascade range.

Every morning you have to get up and walk, in the RAIN, Drizzle, Dampness, chilly wind, to the restroom. Then every evening you repeat the process.

That is a long cold uncomfortable walk!

And, there is no way to avoid it.

That walk is the single biggest reason we no long live aboard in the NW.
Is there a reason your boat is NOT self contained????????????? There are times we dont leave the boat for days at a time when the weather is bad....
Bad weather is MOVIE time when we just set and chill.. time for hot cocoa, freshly baked bread, and a warm blanket...........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon