Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 18:55   #1

pirate Nadi Fiji Liveaboard ?

Bulla All,

I'm considering a Nadi based job. 20 on/10 (consecutive )off per month. I'm interested in opinions as to whether it is possible and practicable to live aboard in Nadi.Denarau would seem to be the obvious place.

Any tips or advice much appreciated.

I would probably buy a boat in New Zealand and sail it up there. Any comments on Import Duty and the logistics of dealing with the relevant government departments also much appreciated.

In respect of the local sailing available, is it reasonable to assume (other than in the cyclone season ) that a week a month in the Yasawas is not too ambitious ?

Thanks in advance.

Mach Buffett
Mach Buffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 19:40   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Nadi Fiji Liveaboard ?

There are two marinas near Nadi (pronounced 'nandee' for those of you who haven't been there), Denarau and Vuda (pronounced 'voonda') Point. Denarau is closer to the city of Nadi but is much more like a Southern California marina. Vuda Point is farther from Nadi and is better protected from weather but is more rustic.

There is wonderful sailing and exotic, beautiful places to sail not only in the Yasawas but also in the closer Mamanucas. The paper and electronic charts are terrible, though, and many cruisers rely on Google Earth for navigation. If you're into surfing, there's some world-class spots very near Nadi.

I have no knowledge of importing a boat to Fiiji, sorry. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if you couldn't find a selection of boats in Fiji for sale.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji, liveaboard