Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 14:10   #1

My live aboard plans..

I started this thread to not hijack the other,
Thanks..

Hi, I should have elaborated but I am new here and still quite trepidous about posting.

Our plan to actually "sail" is a good ways off.

Most likely three plus years if ever. But the time is at hand.

I will be living on the boat for a good while before I would ever even think about taking her out sailing, and only then with a good friend who has the ability to "Captain" the boat till we get our confidence.

When Aaron gets out he and I are going to Kentucky Lake to start our actual training I guess you would say.
Even of it's a total wash I will have gotten to spend time with my son on a boat and thats priceless and a cool place to be for any son and pop.

The have a 4 day ASA sailing school we hope to attend. Also we hope to meet other good folks who have sailed for years and set like a sea sponge in front of them when they speak about sailing.

....we both have boating experience but no sailing.
I was on the sea when I lived in Alaska and was a flight medic, and on a big arse LST for a good while in the Corps.

I mentioned a kick in the teeth, well I had a serious health crisis and about bought the farm. The timing I had planned on changed.

I will eventually be back to 100% (or as 100% as any 49 year old can be I guess).

So by first living on the boat till Im in "ship-shape" will be a good while.

And there is the rub....I do not want to buy twice...i want to buy once and learn to grow into the boat....if any of this makes sense?

Sorry for the long reply. You will have to forgive me, I was an English Major

BTW, Aaron will not be living with me on the boat. But he may be living near me to visit every so often. If we ever go sailing I would have to take an experienced sailor(s) with us. I am neither suicidal nor self deluded....which is why I am hanging in the living aboard section.

I did however read Moby Dick and anyone should get a gold star wading through that....

I have a budget up to 115K.......but I am on old German and will try my best to go in waaaaay below and set the remainder in the bank. Hence my waffling on just how new a boat to get..

M
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:37   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: My live aboard plans..

Moby Dick is a great guide for the potential live aboard. Remember in the end only Ishmael survived by clinging to Queequeg's casket.😀

Seriously, I love living aboard and cruising. There are as many ways of achieving this dream as there are sailors. I can't offer advice about your path. But if it is what you want, make a plan, work your plan and live the life you choose. As you learned through your health issue, no one knows how long we have in this life. All we can do is make the most of every day we have. Learn a bit more each day and enjoy the learning too.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:52   #3

Thank you, and you are spot on....I guess I was not so much soliciting opinions as really just introducing who I am and where I am in my plan.

And your right,we each have our own path.....for me, for now, this is it...after a long time of dreaming the plan becomes reality.

Im going through the "rid thyself of stuff" phase and today came time to deal with my books...

I got's piles and piles of books all setting here on the living room floor and it just sort of hit me....

Thanks for listening BTW

Cheers,

M
Old 28-05-2015, 15:14   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Just remember that sailing isn't exactly rocket science. Don't be afraid of it. Just learn on a small boat so the damage that may happen won't cost a fortune. Once you get the hang of it, you won't have that fear of the unknown.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 08:38   #5

M, do you have a timeline of when you plan to purchase said boat? and what kinds of sailboats are you looking at to fulfill this dream of living aboard and sailing? If you happen to know. The members on this board are pretty knowledgeable in many areas and can offer quite a few interesting things to think about before purchasing that boat to live on. You might try a balance of live aboard/sailing vessel as if you pick one that just satisfies one aspect, it might not satisfy the other. Some liveaboards do that better than others, but sacrifice some sailing ability, etc. At any rate, I wish you well, and if I can help you achieve what you are looking for let me know. I have 2-cape dory's a 27 and a 31. regards r.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 08:53   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

The book thing is one of my problems, I know they have digital versions, but there is something about handling a book that appeals to me. Good luck on your quest, I know I will be in the minority here, but there is nothing wrong with getting a larger vessel and growing into it, it takes common sense and the ability to think around corners, but you can adapt. The thing about docking a larger vessel is you really have incentive to pay attention to what you are doing so that you do not damage your vessel or others. I had one of those life threatening thingys about 3 years ago and when I came out of the hospital I was even more determined to finish my quest to become a full time beach bum that sails from tropical paradise to tropical paradise taking the boat where ever the whim moves me, still on that path. All the best to you, and I hope you persevere. You might be old enough to remember this "Endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George, "Outlaw Jose Wales".
Old 29-05-2015, 08:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Wishing you good luck........me thinks you shall like the lifestyle and the experience. We started over 20 years ago and love it.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 09:03   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The book thing is one of my problems, I know they have digital versions, but there is something about handling a book that appeals to me..
It's amazing how fast you'll get hooked on an e-reader once you get one. Will never go back to smelly books on a boat.
Old 29-05-2015, 09:19   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Since you're not sure what kind of sailing you want to do yet, a mainstream, production boat could be a very good idea. You'll save money that way, probably get a comfortable live-aboard, and have other owners associations to lean on for learning how to work on it.

When new to boat buying, the most surprising thing to me was the huge difference in price between boats of similar size and capability. A designer name brand could be 100k while a similarly aged boat of the same size could be 40 or 50k. Of course there are differences, but since you haven't sailed yet you probably wouldn't even notice all the differences, nor know which differences are important to you.

Some of the production brands get flak here, but in your situation I'd be considering Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus, etc.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:27   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
I started this thread to not hijack the other,
Thanks..

Hi, I should have elaborated but I am new here and still quite trepidous about posting.

Our plan to actually "sail" is a good ways off.

Most likely three plus years if ever. But the time is at hand.

I will be living on the boat for a good while before I would ever even think about taking her out sailing, and only then with a good friend who has the ability to "Captain" the boat till we get our confidence.

When Aaron gets out he and I are going to Kentucky Lake to start our actual training I guess you would say.
Even of it's a total wash I will have gotten to spend time with my son on a boat and thats priceless and a cool place to be for any son and pop.

The have a 4 day ASA sailing school we hope to attend. Also we hope to meet other good folks who have sailed for years and set like a sea sponge in front of them when they speak about sailing.

....we both have boating experience but no sailing.
I was on the sea when I lived in Alaska and was a flight medic, and on a big arse LST for a good while in the Corps.

I mentioned a kick in the teeth, well I had a serious health crisis and about bought the farm. The timing I had planned on changed.

I will eventually be back to 100% (or as 100% as any 49 year old can be I guess).

So by first living on the boat till Im in "ship-shape" will be a good while.

And there is the rub....I do not want to buy twice...i want to buy once and learn to grow into the boat....if any of this makes sense?

Sorry for the long reply. You will have to forgive me, I was an English Major

BTW, Aaron will not be living with me on the boat. But he may be living near me to visit every so often. If we ever go sailing I would have to take an experienced sailor(s) with us. I am neither suicidal nor self deluded....which is why I am hanging in the living aboard section.

I did however read Moby Dick and anyone should get a gold star wading through that....

I have a budget up to 115K.......but I am on old German and will try my best to go in waaaaay below and set the remainder in the bank. Hence my waffling on just how new a boat to get..

M
I'm not sure what you included in the budget? The price of the boat can be the smallest expenditure. Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Just remember that sailing isn't exactly rocket science. Don't be afraid of it. Just learn on a small boat so the damage that may happen won't cost a fortune. Once you get the hang of it, you won't have that fear of the unknown.

For what it's worth I've never taken lessons, and 90% of it seems to be common sense. Wonderful thing about boats is you can come in REAL slow, so slow you can't break things, they won't stall and sink if you go too slow.
I didn't go the small boat first, I think if you understand your limitations and accept them, you will be OK, if you don't well you can get hurt or drown in a small boat too.
I paid way less than your budget and by the time she is completely fitted out like I want her, will have pretty much spent your budget, and IP's are not usually though of as cheap or poorly built boats.
I think for your budget, you can find a truly outstanding 40 footer mono, and even maybe some Cats, although I'm no Cat expert.
That I believe is plenty of boat for two people, of course opinions vary.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:24   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
snort, probably one of the best posts I've seen.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:30   #13

Hey BlueMaxx,

I'm new here too, matter of fact I just finished my ASA 101/103/104 sailing classes and they gave me a lot of confidence to get me started on my sailing dreams, my wife and I are looking for boat now and plan to buy one within the next couple of years and eventually retire and sail/live aboard in the caribbean. So you are not alone one step at a time and you will get there.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:22   #14

Snort....
I can always power boat until I am comfortable with the sailing aspect....Im not expecting it to take forever.
Also why I am really concentrating on a 36-38*40' boat. (40 is pushing it..Id rather be on the smaller end.

I want to plan on occupancy for two fairly comfy.

Wizard1

One exciting thing is I have a fairly loose time frame....I am clearing most the bulk out of the house and plan on putting it up for sale in the next couple weeks.
I know 6 mos. just for medical reasons...but I hope to be there within this next year or sooner.
I have been reading threads for quite awhile. I am amazed at just how much free information is out there...but I still have some questions.
I really like (and think I would be better off) with a full keel, double ender.
I do not want to become a constant teak tech, so I am leaning towards a more wood free friendly deck....however below I want it all traditional look and feel.
I am looking for it to be a monohull of fiberglass.

Captain58sailin

I figure you are correct too....If a body put's their mind to it they can achieve about anything.

I had to laugh on your Joesy Wales comment....I got all the remainder of the books on the floor and took the majority of them to a local used book store, three big boxes full.....traded for 4 sailing books. I though it a fair deal.

But the Josey Wales?

Still on the shelf....I wont rid myself of a Forest Carter book!

I was a Paramedic and have just a boat load of my EMS class books.....that is where I want to keep certain things, but the list keeps getting longer...I guess one does not necessarily need to set sail with a Grays Anatomy..

Cadence

The 115 is at the tippy top for the boat itself.
The more cash I can stash in the bank the better. I will be living off a little more than 2 grand a month. And other than a mortgage and a student loan I drag around like a family pet Im debts free.
I haven't decided whether to sell my truck or not...but that would garnish about another 10K plus I have my 401 and other monies..(not much but enough).

A64pilot
Thanks! That kind of reply goes a long way to boost a neophytes confidence!

Cptn.Kid

That makes me feel a lot better...its a 800 dollar deal and I was hoping it would be worth it.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:56   #15

Snort....
I can always power boat until I am comfortable with the sailing aspect....Im not expecting it to take forever.
Also why I am really concentrating on a 36-38*40' boat. (40 is pushing it)..Id rather be on the smaller end.

I want to plan on occupancy for two fairly comfy.

Wizard1

One exciting thing is I have a fairly loose time frame....I am clearing most the bulk out of the house and plan on putting it up for sale in the next couple weeks.
I know 6 mos. just for medical reasons...but I hope to be there within this next year or sooner.
I have been reading threads for quite awhile. I am amazed at just how much free information is out there...but I still have some questions.
I really like (and think I would be better off) with a full keel, double ender.
I do not want to become a constant teak tech, so I am leaning towards a more wood free friendly deck....however below I want it all traditional look and feel.
I am looking for it to be a monohull of fiberglass.

Captain58sailin

I figure you are correct too....If a body put's their mind to it they can achieve about anything.

I had to laugh on your Joesy Wales comment....I got all the remainder of the books on the floor and took the majority of them to a local used book store, three big boxes full.....traded for 4 sailing books. I though it a fair deal.

But the Josey Wales?

Still on the shelf....I wont rid myself of a Forest Carter book!

I was a Paramedic and have just a boat load of my EMS class books.....that is where I want to keep certain things, but the list keeps getting longer...I guess one does not necessarily need to set sail with a Grays Anatomy..

Cadence

The 115 is at the tippy top for the boat itself.
The more cash I can stash in the bank the better. I will be living off a little more than 2 grand a month. And other than a mortgage and a student loan I drag around like a family pet Im debts free.
I haven't decided whether to sell my truck or not...but that would garnish about another 10K plus I have my 401 and other monies..(not much but enough).

A64pilot
Thanks! That kind of reply goes a long way to boost a neophytes confidence!

CptnKid

Thanks, its a fairly pricey class and I was hoping it would be worth it.