Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 14:15   #46

Boat: San Juan 21, trailer boat, racer,
Re: Looking for cheap international marina cities to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
Corn Island, Nicaragua... beautiful, quaint and cheap...awesome diving and snorkeling too

Cartagena Colombia, historic, great nightlife, walking and biking city for exercise, cheap and has everything.

I checked corn island, it looks like a great place to visit, but not make it home base. Airbnb shows some really high prices and small islands have some strange economics that can change really quick.

I added Cartegna to my map. A friend of mines wife is from there and they spend a month a year there. my friend bikes a lot and says he won't bike there, its too dangerous.
kennj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 14:23   #47

Boat: San Juan 21, trailer boat, racer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I was in Richards Bay and Capetown January 2018 for a little more than a week. beautiful country, fantastic wind - too fantastic sometimes. excellent sailing scene, fine marinas and yacht clubs. fantastic wine country, beautiful mountains, good roads, penguins, beaches - a vibrant young country barely clinging to its first-world past.

But everywhere you'll find razor wire fences and guards. Friends told us not to travel anywhere after dark. every place has its + and - features.

I checked out both Capetown and Richards bay on my map. Capetown doesn't have much private marina infrastructure and Richards bay has a nice looking marnina but not much of a town near by, but given the crime problems thats probably good. biking seems risky given the crime problem and I checked water temp on weathersparks and ocean temps are quite cold there so swimmings out too. my two favorite sports look like no goes.
kennj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:08   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennj123 View Post
I checked corn island, it looks like a great place to visit, but not make it home base. Airbnb shows some really high prices and small islands have some strange economics that can change really quick.

I added Cartegna to my map. A friend of mines wife is from there and they spend a month a year there. my friend bikes a lot and says he won't bike there, its too dangerous.
...and the E coast of Nicaragua and parts of the Nicaraguan Banks are pretty dicey security areas. See CSSN for details on the Nica Banks issues.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:22   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Having done this a few times, an important consideration, especially if looking in less "developed" countries is travel access. Rio Dulce, Guatemala for example is a great option, but getting there is a bit of an oreal.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01   #50

I lived in Puerto Vallerta for a few months and it was amazing. Very inexpensive as well.
tommy1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:18   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Maybe consider the Los Lagos region of Chile? Between Concepcion and Pto Montt...

Quite a few expats down here... relatively easy to get residency.... bonzer climate, excellent wine, stable government........what not to like... ask questions here... https://www.allchile.net
Isn't that a "cold water for swimming" area?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:40   #52

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we would have no issues with staying in Turkey long term EXCEPT for the current gov't - it could be ok or not
I have a couple of Turkish expat friends and they have echoed this sentiment. One is returning home next year. Personally, it wouldn't be on my list.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:42   #53

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Maybe consider the Los Lagos region of Chile? Between Concepcion and Pto Montt...

Quite a few expats down here... relatively easy to get residency.... bonzer climate, excellent wine, stable government........what not to like... ask questions here... https://www.allchile.net
That has been on my radar as well, do you know any liveaboards down there?
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap