Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 17:40   #16

Live aboard

Good day All,

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings, but there really does look like there is nowhere in or around Melbourne that will allow live aboards. I do hope I am wrong. Does anybody know of a marina that does?

Regards.

Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:52   #17

Boat: Compass 28
The only option anywhere near Melbourne is Yaringa Marina in Westernport Bay.

Yaringa Marina & Boat Harbour - Home Page

Access is about 1.5 hours by road from Melbourne. Pretty hard to get there by public transport.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 18:04   #18

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
If you are dead set on living aboard and working/being in Melbourne The closest non stigma'd marina that allows wants and accepts cruisers is Opua, New Zealand. Bit of a commute but the lack of Snooty stigma is worth it. Plus your ozzie dollar will buy 1.3 NZD

Damien & Jess
(2 Kiwi's about to sail home)
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
...really does look like there is nowhere in or around Melbourne that will allow live aboards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
The closest non stigma'd marina that allows wants and accepts cruisers is Opua, New Zealand. Bit of a commute but the lack of Snooty stigma is worth it.
Wonderful cheese pies over there in NZ too - that's a meat pie with a chunk of cheese in the middle. Highly recommended. On the other hand, if you head west there's always Addles; most marinas and clubs have liveaboards, even the esteemed Squadron. So go either way, east or west, and leave the snobs behind.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 20:17   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSchoolBus View Post

Allowed to live aboard long term (Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Australia):
  1. New Quay Marina -> The only marina so far found to allow live aboards (one email, which needs confirmation). [great location but prices around AU$10,000+ per annum].
Does anyone have any experience living aboard in Port Phillip Bay? or around Australia in general.
Hi,
Just a couple of points/thoughts.

1) Lived aboard in Lovett Bay, Pittwater, Sydney's Northern Beaches area for 2 years, about 18 years ago. And no, it wasn't allowed back then either. But business had gone pear shaped and it was a choice between living in a cheap rental unit above a store on a busy street somewhere, and becoming a depressed grey person, or taking a punt on water police being too busy chasing real badies to worry about a quiet, trouble free battler trying to find his feet again with a wife and two early teen kids.
We chose to be on the bones of our backsides in paradise where we could still feel lucky with a $3 bottle of red and a bag of peanuts on a beautiful summer evening.
We weren't the only ones there, there were 2 other boats with older single guys, but we all kept a low profile, didn't hang washing out etc... and the water police were great. After a while they used to come around asking if we, or the kids had seen anything when they were looking for stolen boats/motors etc.
In the same circumstances I'd take a punt and do it again in a flash.

2) If you're both working, $10,000 per annum isn't bad to be on a marina with power and water and security included. It's about $190/week. If you were renting a unit in the centre of Melbourne you'd have to be up for $400+ per week, and this is less than half. Plus you'd have electricity and any other levies that may be applied. If you've got skills that can be easily used in a cheaper, more remote area you've got good options, but if you've both got good jobs in Melbourne New Quay Marina could be perfectly ok.

Maybe it will take you a couple of years longer to pay off your boat, but if you're having fun along the way and living where you want to, just enjoy the experience...

Good luck.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 22:07   #21

Boat: Pugh Windsong 38ft Steel Sloop - Bass Voyager
New Quay Marina does not allow liveaboards. This, received by email last week: "our Marina does not permit live aboard with periods of 3 days at a time permitted."
Pity, because we pay much more in rent in Melbourne than 10K a year!

Serenity01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 23:17   #22

Angry Live aboard

What a pity, what one hell of a pity. I guess I am going to have to choose between my boat and a very lucrative job offer in Melbourne. I feel waves of depression washing over me.
Cursed be the the nay sayers.

Calvin
Old 10-01-2011, 00:03   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
How flexible are you?

I know nothing about live aboard in Port Phillip Bay but a search of the Parks Victoria website found their Moorings and Berths page.

While it might be possible to get around the regulations and live aboard I would imagine that if this job is a good one then renting a small convenient flat and leaving your boat on a Parks Victoria mooring could be an option worth considering.

I had a look at the page for Rosebud and it looks doable, but would require some legwork and maybe a little diplomacy and courtesy.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 00:20   #24

Thanks Boracay,

The marina that I am presently in also has a "no live aboard" policy. However there are no less than 5 of us that do. As long as you do not draw attention to yourself, and maintain a very low profile,the authorities tend to look the other way. Both my neighbours know and am very happy to have a permanent resident next door. On a few occasions I have gone aboard their vessels and tied down flapping sails etc. and in general keep an eye on the other boats.

However, the sword of Damacles hangs over us always. I just cannot fathom the reason for this.

Regards.

Calvin
Old 31-01-2011, 22:05   #25

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
well we have squatters tried to our dock and guess what!!! yep smoke buts on my boat in my boat damage from ware they have tried to break in shade poles stolen, sorry but im happy we have a no live aboard policy. but there are several who do and they know if they cause problems there gone the same as if I do.
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 22:54   #26

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
well we have squatters tried to our dock and guess what!!! yep smoke buts on my boat in my boat damage from ware they have tried to break in shade poles stolen, sorry but im happy we have a no live aboard policy. but there are several who do and they know if they cause problems there gone the same as if I do.

Sink the bastards. They're the ones who make it difficult for the rest of us!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 23:16   #27

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
oh Paul it is so unfair its like getting your home broken into, the damage is twice the price of any benefit to them, I have now moved it to a mooring to make it harder to get to.
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000, 10 m catamaran - Serrano
There is at least one full-time liveaboard at Pier 35 (5 years +), and several part-time (weekdays as work in Melb, home in country). Not allowed but tolerated on a don't ask-don't tell basis.
Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 21:40   #29

Boat: 1955 build- converted Huon Pine crayfishing boat
Queensland has liveaboards, but forget Victoria (as many have said) except Yaringa- miles from Melbourne. I have a boat moored in Melbourne- wouldn't want to liveaboard due to the weather most of the time. Endless SE winds.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 22:55   #30

Boat: Traditional 30
maybe they all realise its just too cold in winter. Screwdat. But thats your choice. Obvoulsy the real reason is environmental.

But you could always stay on board for a month. then change marinas. After that month you move again You get a new backyard every month - bonus

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, living aboard