Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 17:01   #31

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
[QUOTE=ozskipper;611621] Obvoulsy the real reason is environmental.

yer environmental

But you could always stay on board for a month. then change marinas. After that month you move again You get a new backyard every month - bonus

Oz try it they are all full unless you are willing to pay 12k+ a year and on a monthly maybe more.

our state lets say dont help make it easy to stay in the port
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:00   #32

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Living Aboard in Melbourne, Australia

One all round pretty depressing thread for us Victorian boaters who would like to live aboard full time
It just confirms my view that I'll buy my live aboard boat in NZ, keep it there as a local boat and fly back only when I need to, or buy a boat in the States, register it in Oz, have it shipped to NZ where I could live aboard for a year before having to leave as an AU registered boat. I could then head for QLD to import the boat, then stay around QLD or head for the Top-End or S.E. Asia where I could live aboard in piece...I hope Returning to Victoria only when I had to.

Bill
One depressed Mexican (Victorian)
Old 07-11-2012, 22:29   #33

Boat: Compass 28

It is surprising though what you could get away with if you were cheeky enough. There's a bloke who's been sleeping on his boat moored at Sandringham close to full-time for years now. Strictly against the mooring rules, but Parks Victoria either don't care or think it's too much trouble to deal with.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:45   #34

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Angry Re: Living Aboard in Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSchoolBus View Post
Mordialloc yacht club just got back to us to say that it is not allowed.

Wow, when we started making plans to get a yacht and live aboard we had no idea that it wouldnt be allowed around here. We're yet to find a marina anywhere in the state of Victoria that would let us it seems as though even if you were allowed to at a couple it has a real stigma attached to it in Australia... have other people found this in other areas of the world???
Yes, NSW is no better. The way the legislation goes you can hardly use your boat let alone live on it. Once Maritime tag you as a live aboard all your rights are erased and you are constantly harassed.
Old 07-11-2012, 23:16   #35

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hi,
Just a couple of points/thoughts....,,
We chose to be on the bones of our backsides in paradise where we could still feel lucky with a $3 bottle of red and a bag of peanuts on a beautiful summer evening.
We weren't the only ones there, there were 2 other boats with older single guys, but we all kept a low profile, didn't hang washing out etc... and the water police were great. After a while they used to come around asking if we, or the kids had seen anything when they were looking for stolen boats/motors etc.
In the same circumstances I'd take a punt and do it again in a flash.

Good luck.
After a few encounters with Maritime I got a visit from Water Police earlier this week. Out of coincidence I was pulling the anchor to leave when he arrived. The vibe I got was was that he was more concerned with my safety than anything else. While Maritime have a run liveaboads out of port policy, it is ultimately Marine Rescue or the Water Police who are going to have to rescue you if you feel compelled to leave in dubious circumstances.

As far as NSW Maritime are concerned, I can only see things getting worse now they.are part of the Roads department.

The other thing that really annoys me is that I really do a lot of coastal sailing. What I now intend to do is log all my major journeys with Marine Rescue. At least then I have evidence that I am constantly traveling and not offending the rules.
Old 08-11-2012, 00:52   #36

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Hi billAU there are people living in Melbourne off Lorimer St just before South edge drive where the Wattle is on the hard, BUT its about 8 boats parks do ignore them, But I would not have the guts as with my luck they would lock my boat or something.

On the bright side I must get off my mooring at St Kilda for there new rich Yuppie only marina by June next year, so who knows as I have now been on parks wait list for over 3 years.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:33   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSchoolBus View Post
......[*]Anchoring -> Free is this possible in Port Phillip long term? Unsecured, Need to get to and from work during week days, probably not sustainable in the long term, dog.
Nowhere sheltered in Port Phillip at all. Gets uncomfortable anchoring even most days in summer with moderate afternoon sea breezes. Its a good racing area, but hopeless for cruising.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21   #38

I know of a few liveaboards at Anchorage Marina in Williamstown. Again, the stated policy is "no liveaboards" but when I made discrete enquiries IN PERSON (makes ALL the difference) they were 100% fine with me wanting to liveaboard with my dog.
Paid quarterly (cheaper) it came to $180 per week.
And yes, Parks Vic suck. I was on the waiting list for two years, was granted a swing mooring in Williamstown, which was taken away from me two years later after I'd left it vacant for a year.
Bastards!
They supposedly have "visitor's" moorings dotted around the bay, but there's always someone long-term on them, and no Parks enforcement of the rules in sight.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Nowhere sheltered in Port Phillip at all. Gets uncomfortable anchoring even most days in summer with moderate afternoon sea breezes. Its a good racing area, but hopeless for cruising.
Well summed up...

sadly
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Well summed up...

sadly
We kept a trailerable boat in Melbourne for a couple of decades as there was absolutely no point having a keel boat while we were still working. As new owners we were keen to take the boat out one weekend and we anchored off Blairgowrie. I spent the entire night wedged eagle spread on the minuscule bit of floor space to stop myself from being thrown from side to side LOL!

Other cruising experiences in the bay weren't much better, but had great fun racing there.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 14:32   #41

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
And yes, Parks Vic suck. I was on the waiting list for two years, was granted a swing mooring in Williamstown, which was taken away from me two years later after I'd left it vacant for a year.
Bastards!
Whilst I have pretty low opinion of most of what PV do, I think you're being a bit harsh there. There is such a high demand for moorings that "use it or lose it" is quite fair. Remember you don't own it, it's just the right to put your mooring tackle on a particular spot.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 15:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Other cruising experiences in the bay weren't much better, but had great fun racing there.
The only "cruising" we really ever did when I was younger was going down to Geelong for the Aus day weekend.

Racing was good because most clubs can start their races just off their breakwaters and even when everyone was out racing it was never crowded on the water even if it might look like it was from the shore.

I'm not sure if my yacht will ever follow me whenever I finally move home or if I will keep her in Asia/Sou Pac/FNQ...
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, living aboard