Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 22:53   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Live Aboard and Long Range Sailing Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
When you have been cruising a very long time and all your credit cards have expired a whole new game begins.

It is a rather old game called FETCH. But it is infininty more complicated.

Fetch involves getting money and goods from point A to point B.

90% of your cruising time becomes occupied with proofs that you are really you!

Found an item on Ebay? Great. But how do you get it paid for and shipped to a remote island in the Pacific at a rate you can afford quickly?

Ebay wont let you pay for it with an expired credit card.

Paypal wont allow you to log in from Philippines

Until you pass 20 question test on international call. Have you ever lived on one of the following streets Wisconsin, Park, Summit, or none of the above. If you fail these questions you can retake test in 24 hours.

Shippers will not allow you to send to an address not on your credit card

Virtual credit card wont accept money without seeing you in person

You go to Globe central office a days travel away and learn one and only one person trained to confirm identity and wont be back for two days. Three hour wait in line!

Freight forwarder demands $2 direct deposit in BDO bank a days travel away for Loyalty Card

BDO demands $1 fee for making deposit

Pretending your new virtual credit card is freight forwarder address okay! But PayPal demands you supply secret code they send to virtual credit card statement you will never see

Meanwhile computer is updating Windows 10 so far has consumed 7 gigabytes of bandwidth which are purchased 500 mg at a time. 15 updates! You are hung on two updates that are huge and restart every tine you log on.

Buying bandwidth requires trip to town and most stores sell only small amounts. Who in the world needs gigabytes?

Windows update consumes house bank battery charge and has wasted days and days

PayPal places hold on bank transfer and implementing eCheck to provide customers with security and so add one week delay

Meanwhile engine apart and damper plate needed to safely move vessel away as Super Typhoon approaching Philippines

Your bank demands password change and you now have different passwords for:

Bank, ebay, paypal, freight forwarder, cell phone, wifi network to computer, computer password, cell phone carrier password, virtual credit card,

Oh... Did I mention you already physically checked every supplier in Philippines for damper plates with 26 splines?
Lol pbmaise......I laughed until I cried....when I realized..how true!

That's why
" its more fun in the Philippines!"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 00:06   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
When you have been cruising a very long time and all your credit cards have expired a whole new game begins.

It is a rather old game called FETCH. But it is infininty more complicated.

Fetch involves getting money and goods from point A to point B.

90% of your cruising time becomes occupied with proofs that you are really you!

Found an item on Ebay? Great. But how do you get it paid for and shipped to a remote island in the Pacific at a rate you can afford quickly?

Ebay wont let you pay for it with an expired credit card.

Paypal wont allow you to log in from Philippines

Until you pass 20 question test on international call. Have you ever lived on one of the following streets Wisconsin, Park, Summit, or none of the above. If you fail these questions you can retake test in 24 hours.

Shippers will not allow you to send to an address not on your credit card

Virtual credit card wont accept money without seeing you in person

You go to Globe central office a days travel away and learn one and only one person trained to confirm identity and wont be back for two days. Three hour wait in line!

Freight forwarder demands $2 direct deposit in BDO bank a days travel away for Loyalty Card

BDO demands $1 fee for making deposit

Pretending your new virtual credit card is freight forwarder address okay! But PayPal demands you supply secret code they send to virtual credit card statement you will never see

Meanwhile computer is updating Windows 10 so far has consumed 7 gigabytes of bandwidth which are purchased 500 mg at a time. 15 updates! You are hung on two updates that are huge and restart every tine you log on.

Buying bandwidth requires trip to town and most stores sell only small amounts. Who in the world needs gigabytes?

Windows update consumes house bank battery charge and has wasted days and days

PayPal places hold on bank transfer and implementing eCheck to provide customers with security and so add one week delay

Meanwhile engine apart and damper plate needed to safely move vessel away as Super Typhoon approaching Philippines

Your bank demands password change and you now have different passwords for:

Bank, ebay, paypal, freight forwarder, cell phone, wifi network to computer, computer password, cell phone carrier password, virtual credit card,

Oh... Did I mention you already physically checked every supplier in Philippines for damper plates with 26 splines?
That is hilarious and unfortunately I get it....lol. The wonderful opportunities that we get given to practice patience while cruising...lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 04:37   #48

Boat: Amel 54

For me books, music and board games, one favourite is Hnefatafl, and of course various boat projects that tend to pop up during long passages, not to say they are entertaining.

Edit.
I do not do kindle it is damaging to your eyes so I stay away from it.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 04:48   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
... I do not do kindle it is damaging to your eyes so I stay away from it.
Not neccesarily.
“... reading a Kindle screen is actually just the same as reading from normal paper. Of course there's no light coming from behind so that does have the slight downside of meaning that you can't read in the dark, but then again you can get around this by simply using a reading light – just as you would with any normal book...”
“...Other e-readers such as the Kobo also use e-ink technology in their screens...”
Kindle Screens and Your Eyes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 04:57   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The transition takes about one day, if done correctly.

You cheat Ken, you actually work in the winter so in the summer your on a big holiday in the Med, could be the perfect life.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 05:19   #51
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this lifestyle is awesome for those who are able to be happy with selves and surroundings.

That comment right there is the most important.

No matter what, 30 day backpacking trips solo, sailing solo, the solitude of Mother Earth is serene. (to some)

if u aint happy wit ur self, ur just kidding everyone.

Always enjoy your candor , Z

Enjoy the day...........

Question Stupidity...............
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 05:21   #52
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
That is hilarious and unfortunately I get it....lol. The wonderful opportunities that we get given to practice patience while cruising...lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
And that tooo!

That's funny, aint life grand, only reason I stick around is to see what's gonna happen next!

Enjoy the day.........

Question Stupidity........
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:13   #53

tie up the wife and spank her....oops
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:33   #54

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not neccesarily.
“... reading a Kindle screen is actually just the same as reading from normal paper. Of course there's no light coming from behind so that does have the slight downside of meaning that you can't read in the dark, but then again you can get around this by simply using a reading light – just as you would with any normal book...”
“...Other e-readers such as the Kobo also use e-ink technology in their screens...”
Kindle Screens and Your Eyes
Perhaps, in any case there are other downsides to kindle....

E-Books Are Damaging Your Health: Why We Should All Start Reading Paper Books Again

Added.
When I get too many books I either sell them or trade them, that way I keep the numbers manageable and I only keep certain books that I have use for.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:29   #55

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'

Quote:
Perhaps, in any case there are other downsides to kindle....

E-Books Are Damaging Your Health: Why We Should All Start Reading Paper Books Again

Added.
When I get too many books I either sell them or trade them, that way I keep the numbers manageable and I only keep certain books that I have use for.
I had a quick look at the article you linked to. You (and the author) are confusing an e-reader and a tablet....two entirely different things. They may look slightly alike, but then so do an Open 60 and a Cabo Rico.

The problems they allude to are incumbent in tablets, which use LCD or OLED screens. These are just the same screen as your monitor or TV.

The screens on e-readers (Kindle, Kobo, Nook etc) are e-ink. They are NOT backlit, and work EXACTLY the same as a book page (from a viewing point of view)

Most e-readers do not have the same level of internet connection as tablets, usually because e-ink does not respond nearly as quickly as LCD/OLED. So the temptation to be distracted by FB, Twitter, Instagram ad nauseum, are pretty much eliminated. They usually have really good dictionaries included that are onboard, so looking up an unfamiliar word is as easy as a quick poke. Also, e-ink only uses power when it is changing, so a relatively small battery last weeks if not months - even for a voracious reader.

Of course there is not the tactile feel of paper, not the heft of the book itself, and that is important to some. My wife was one of those until she had an e-reader for a while (desperation as she ran out of books). Now she feels books "weigh too much" when she is reading. And she can get a serise of three to five novels for $1.99.

There is No Harm in Using E-readers, just a matter of preference.
seamountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 15:22   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
For me books, music and board games, one favourite is Hnefatafl, and of course various boat projects that tend to pop up during long passages, not to say they are entertaining.

Edit.
I do not do kindle it is damaging to your eyes so I stay away from it.

Never come across that game before, it looks very interesting. I've just downloaded an Android app and googled about basic strategy. Learning to play it well is now on my to-do list.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27   #57

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22

For entertainment, I personally like to use media players like the KDLinks HD720 or A300. Has an internal HDD that'll take up to 6TB. I have over 2000 titles of movies, series, concerts, etc and about 70gigs of music and they all fit on 3TB. The unit is small and uses a wall wart for power and I believe it's 12vdc-1A. Uses HDMI for the tv and has wireless home network (streaming from PC) and internet capabilities. Runs from around $150-225 depending on the model.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 13:29   #58

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

How about distilling your own spirits. That looks pretty entertaining to me.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:21   #59

Boat: TBC

I got one of those very small projectors which I use when on anchor somewhere dark.
Have a movie night in the cockpit against a handy white background.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail, sailing