Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2018, 18:48   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Land/dock cart - what do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m looking to upgrade my portable land cart or trolley, or whatever you call it. I use it when walking to shops, and for generally moving stuff on/off the boat. I’ve used this thing for years now, mainly b/c it stores small AND I got it for free:

It’s not very durable, has tiny wheels, and doesn’t carry a large load, but it is light and folds down to a small size.

What do you use when going ashore? Thoughts? Recommendations?
I use one of these, and have done so for years. It fits nicely on the bus, I don't have a car.

They're generally available from stationery stores: $24 from Staples in the US, recently on sale for $15 from Office Depot and Office Max--plus a warranty if you're so inclined. They subtly come in different sizes, from about 15" to about 18" wide.

The only modification I make to them these days is to glue a 7" piece of 1 X 1" PVC angle on top of the handle in the top front. Otherwise, the handhold flexes and breaks almost immediately.

I beat the living daylights out of them and they usually last about 8 months.

I can't see the convenience of anything bigger, not folded up for storage on my boat, nor for carrying on a bus. In hindsight, I've carried everything I've ever wanted to, in these carts--except a battery, one fell apart when trying to carry a golf cart battery....
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 19:59   #47

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

I like the wagon style for the built in container, and the ease of pulling it over long distances. But all of these look like they would be a challenge to store on our smallish boat — not impossible, but it would take up valuable space.

What to do
Have you got a spot onboard where you have stuff stored like boxes of beer,wine,tins?
You could always stack them inside this.
Same floorspace used.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:21   #48

Boat: Freedom 38

Great thread! Especially now that our marina's only cart has disappeared (prior one was broken and nearly useless) and I'd been considering what to get. I use sturdy canvas shopping bags, which does the job 90% of the time....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:50   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Have you got a spot onboard where you have stuff stored like boxes of beer,wine,tins?
You could always stack them inside this.
Same floorspace used.
That’s a good idea. Sadly it wouldn’t work on my boat, but probably would for other, larger boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Great thread! Especially now that our marina's only cart has disappeared (prior one was broken and nearly useless) and I'd been considering what to get. I use sturdy canvas shopping bags, which does the job 90% of the time....
I should add, I always carry a backpack when we go ashore. If I can manage with just that, then it is the easiest option. But usually when we’re shopping it is b/c we’re doing a major restock. We don’t go to shore very often (especially not to shop!), so shopping day usually means large volumes.
Old 01-04-2018, 14:24   #50

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
. But usually when we’re shopping it is b/c we’re doing a major restock. We don’t go to shore very often (especially not to shop!), so shopping day usually means large volumes.
Do the grocery stores there do ordering online and delivery?

We get a big shop every 8 weeks from Woolworths that takes care of 90% of our food wants and certainly all of the heavy stuff.
At our semi permanent spot , the driver calls us when he's 20 minutes out and reverses down the boatramp where we meet him with the tender for easy loading.
Free delivery over a certain dollar value hence 8 weeks between shops.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 15:50   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Do the grocery stores there do ordering online and delivery?

We get a big shop every 8 weeks from Woolworths that takes care of 90% of our food wants and certainly all of the heavy stuff.
At our semi permanent spot , the driver calls us when he's 20 minutes out and reverses down the boatramp where we meet him with the tender for easy loading.
Free delivery over a certain dollar value hence 8 weeks between shops.
I don’t know if our current temporary home in Newfoundland has such a store that delivers. I’ll have to ask around. But funny you should suggest this.

At one of our two resupply stops along the St. Lawrence last season we ended up having to travel a rather far distance to reach the only grocery store in town. In this case we got a ride both there and back from friendly local folk. But upon arriving back at the dock one of the local boaters casually mentioned that this very grocery store regularly delivers to the dock NOW you tell me

Ah well … it we’d done that we would have missed all the fun local interactions. This was doubly amusing since they were all French (Quebec). My linguistic abilities in French pretty much tops out at ordering cold beer . But it’s all part of the fun of travel.
Old 02-04-2018, 23:25   #52

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Thanks for the thread Mike,
I've been pondering this too. I'm going with the folding hand truck 20" tall 15" wide and 3" deep with duffle and bungee cords. I may even figure out a way to pull it behind my bicycle. Anything with a wire or plastic basket will limit what I can carry while pinching fingers. 4 wheels will be cumbersome for busses, stairs etc. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:33   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
It seems that we are talking about equipment for two different missions: getting stuff from a car to a boat in a marina or other land based scenario, and getting stuff from a store to the dinghy and thence to a boat, without the use of an automobile.

The big four wheel cart type device does well at the former, not so well at the latter. I'm hard pressed to get our small two wheel device into a bus when loaded... how one would deal with the big cart, especially when loaded to near its 100 kg (+/-) capacity, is beyond me! And stowing it, even folded up, on boats smaller than 60 foot trawler yachts might be an issue. But obviously, if you have a lot ofheavy stuff to move around, they're great.

For the car-less anchor-out cruiser, the sort that Mike (and we) use is practical. Ours would be improved by some sort of box affair that would attach to the frame when needed. We sometimes use an empty cardboard carton cadged from a shop to corral our stuff, strapping it on ad hoc, and that helps but is kinda mickey mouse. And larger wheels, perhaps semi-pneumatic would definitely be better for uncertain surfaces... but there goes the small storage package. Compromises...

But almost any such device is better than none when long dusty paths lie between your dinghy and the beer store!

Jim
With the folding wagon, bus would be challenging but even the small options aren't great if you need to use the bus.

Dingy not really a problem. Simply unload the goods into the dingy, there is a small button in the middle floor of the wagon. You lift and it collapses down. Then you set the collapsed wagon in the dingy. It literally takes a second to fold and unfold.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:51   #54

Boat: Catalina 400

Quote:
I don’t know if our current temporary home in Newfoundland has such a store that delivers. I’ll have to ask around. But funny you should suggest this.

At one of our two resupply stops along the St. Lawrence last season we ended up having to travel a rather far distance to reach the only grocery store in town. In this case we got a ride both there and back from friendly local folk. But upon arriving back at the dock one of the local boaters casually mentioned that this very grocery store regularly delivers to the dock NOW you tell me

Ah well … it we’d done that we would have missed all the fun local interactions. This was doubly amusing since they were all French (Quebec). My linguistic abilities in French pretty much tops out at ordering cold beer . But it’s all part of the fun of travel.

Mike

Your temporary Newfoundland home has a supermarket that you can order online and they will deliver to the marina.

See you soon.

Byron
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:55   #55
cruiser

My husband and I each have one of these.

OrinocoFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20   #56

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I'm going to grab one of these (google - big wheel folding wagon ). It doesn't fold up as small but has more capacity and the big wheels work for offroading.

We've had a version of this cart for two years now. Folds up nice and carries a very heavy load easily.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found those cheapo box type donot last thru hauling a decent load of provisions.
i loved the granny cart, but cannot get them here.
so a friend went to walmart in roseville ca, decided i needed this cart that folds and has decent wheels and a table with drink holder...just in case during a long trip to provision the need comes for drinkies. and a box holder for cigarettes or cards. as i donot smoke and never did, that is hy larry us. wheels are decent for rocky sandy terrains. looks like the one in post above mine, but with added fold out platform for drink holders on opposite end of wagon from handle. 75 usd.
i win.
this thing folds down to just over briefcase size, essentially, is only a tad unwieldy for bus, but does taxi well, so cat litter and other bulky items are bought via good planning.
we will be testing it with sails and other bulk items friday.
sorry cannot load pix. our lack of internet connectivity doesnot allow for that task.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19   #58

Thanks all. It’s been great seeing all the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinetech View Post
Mike

Your temporary Newfoundland home has a supermarket that you can order online and they will deliver to the marina.

See you soon.
Good to know Byron. Thanks . But what about the most important stuff: booze! Can I order that as well?

Yes, see you soon(ish). We’re within days of beginning our slow trek east. Won’t be there till early June though. Miles to go before we sail...

Tags
dock