Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 10:16   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is this a sound approach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like the plan. Especially keeping the cabin on the river and boating from there. Be aware that power cruisers eat a lot of fuel unless you go to a trawler or other displacement hull with a diesel engine. Unless you are in protected waters most all the time , often you cant go fast anyway due to sea conditions. So that is something to think about.
The other advantage of a trawler or similar type is often much of the cabin is big, light, and open to view your surroundings. You can sit at anchor in the am and have your coffee and look around. A Sea Ray or fast cruiser is like a cave most of the living space below.
I missed the Sea Ray in the OP. Cheechako has nailed it. It is a go fast boat for the BMW crowd not a retirement boat. The fuel alone would eat you up.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:23   #17

Boat: Fourwinns

Thanks for all the info, ironically we started looking for trawlers from the beginning but couldn't find many for under $100K that didn't need work, especially on the cosmetics side i.e. Teak... I currently have a ski boat with a teak swim platform and really don't enjoy the work of keeping it up. What are my options short of more money?
Fitzbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31   #18

Mainship, Kady Krogan, Grand Banks, island gypsy etc. Remember, you might buy one for 25-35% less than listed.
35 Mainship 1999 Carolina North Mystic, Connecticut

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:44   #19

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

I can't speak for the others, but if you get a Kadey Krogen for under $100k, you'd better have another $100k to put in it. But with any boat I would hold 10-20% to make it suitable to your needs (think solar, new equipment, hose replacement if over 10yrs old, dingy and motor, initial maintenance, survey costs, etc.)

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzbev View Post
Thanks for all the info, ironically we started looking for trawlers from the beginning but couldn't find many for under $100K that didn't need work, especially on the cosmetics side i.e. Teak... I currently have a ski boat with a teak swim platform and really don't enjoy the work of keeping it up. What are my options short of more money?
I would agree on avoiding teak. I feel sure you can find one without teak. I just saw a Thompsen 44 well within your price range advertised. Most of them were commercial vessels and well built. Search around a little.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:01   #21

Boat: Pearson

yes do it... Is your lifetime guarantee card paid up ... lol...😁😎👌
Old 11-08-2017, 14:08   #22

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
... Find a cruiser that is around 35-40ft, 2 saloons, 2 bath that was manufactured between 1998 & 2003 valued at <$100K (currently looking at a 2000, Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin, fresh water boat offered at $85K, a bit high I think). ...
2 bathrooms, sounds nice! Just one more reminder (though you may be sick of hearing) - buying any boat is a minefield; I've heard too many tales of very expensive total engine refits/replacements within months of purchase. Standard advice is the purchase price is only half what you'll end up paying, even for a boat in good condition.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:20   #23

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Looks pretty sound to me, congratulations on your impending retirement. Without knowing your specific plans, you might consider a true trawler in lieu of the Sea Ray. Nice boat, but could easily cost $1,000 a day to fuel it when you're on the move. Seven grand to do a week-long trip is a lot of loot...
This estimate is not at all exaggerated, my 41' Chris Craft tri-cabin went through 50 gallons per running hour at cruise. (About 35 knots), just extrapolate that times today's cost per gallon of marine fuel!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:21   #24

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion on our approach to moving from land lovers to sea lovers (live-a-boards). Background: We currently have a small home on a river that has access to the ICW and Gulf of Mexico (45 Minutes) which is paid off. We have never owned a boat larger than a 26ft ski boat but have been boating for years. Retirement is in two years or so around the age of 59-60 with a moderate retirement income around $40-50K. Currently have very low debt to income ratio. Here is what we are thinking: Find a cruiser that is around 35-40ft, 2 saloons, 2 bath that was manufactured between 1998 & 2003 valued at <$100K (currently looking at a 2000, Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin, fresh water boat offered at $85K, a bit high I think). Dock it at the house (depending on the draft) or the marina 10 miles away and practice living aboard, taking 1-2 week cruises along the gulf coast and up inland waterways. Basically see if we really like it. Finally, try to pay off the balance, if possible, before retirement, sell most everything and move aboard. Based on what I have read on the forum we would likely want to get into a bigger boat down the road but not sure how the finances would handle it. It seems my situation is likely more common than most who have the benefit of a much higher income bracket so I imagine many subscribers will b interested in your opinions. Also, any thoughts on the boat we are considering?

Your assistance is appreciated, we love this forum!

Fitz & Bev
Go for a Ranger Tugs in the 27-29-31 ft range. They come fully equipped, diesel, radar, chart plotter, bow and stern thrusters, auto pilot. Sit back and let George drive!! Check out the Tugnuts site.
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:25   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

My Friend, ixs-nay on the Sea Ray. My marina neighbor is a professional in the business. Let me tell you something no one will tell you...the big gas engines on the Sea Ray...guess what? The starboard engine is the exact same set up as the port engine. What does that mean? It means the port engine fuel pump and oil filter are on the narrow catwalk between the two engines. Where they should be for maintenance access. Guess where the starboard engines fuel pump and oil filter are? Yup, can't get to them unless you are a gymnast. A very small gymnast is even better.

Second thing....many people are telling it to you about gas consumption. Let me tell you even more boldly. It will be rape without lubrication. I am telling you straight up...and I hope you are hearing me...the gas bill will eat you alive.

The reason the Sea Rays are a bargain buy? Because people love the interior of these boats ...and I acknowledge they are appealing...but without any idea about what they are buying. From Napa marina to San Francisco is a three hours by boat. His Sea Ray is in the mid forty foot range. He let his son borrow it. So, when the son got back out came the credit card for fuel. That cost him over 400 dollars in fuel. Freaking surreal. This is why the boats are being so heavily discounted plus the engineering for the motors is straight up stupid. How much work for engineering to get everything that needs to be maintained in the accessible positions?

Think about a decent sailboat or a trawler. Forget planning hulls..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:39   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion on our approach to moving from land lovers to sea lovers (live-a-boards). Background: We currently have a small home on a river that has access to the ICW and Gulf of Mexico (45 Minutes) which is paid off. We have never owned a boat larger than a 26ft ski boat but have been boating for years. Retirement is in two years or so around the age of 59-60 with a moderate retirement income around $40-50K. Currently have very low debt to income ratio. Here is what we are thinking: Find a cruiser that is around 35-40ft, 2 saloons, 2 bath that was manufactured between 1998 & 2003 valued at <$100K (currently looking at a 2000, Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin, fresh water boat offered at $85K, a bit high I think). Dock it at the house (depending on the draft) or the marina 10 miles away and practice living aboard, taking 1-2 week cruises along the gulf coast and up inland waterways. Basically see if we really like it. Finally, try to pay off the balance, if possible, before retirement, sell most everything and move aboard. Based on what I have read on the forum we would likely want to get into a bigger boat down the road but not sure how the finances would handle it. It seems my situation is likely more common than most who have the benefit of a much higher income bracket so I imagine many subscribers will b interested in your opinions. Also, any thoughts on the boat we are considering?

Your assistance is appreciated, we love this forum!

Fitz & Bev
Don't sell the house! Try cruising by all means but you need a bolt hole. I went cruising many years ago but kept a house. Cancer changed our plans when my wife was very ill, without a land base our life would have been very difficult.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 17:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
My Friend, ixs-nay on the Sea Ray. My marina neighbor is a professional in the business. Let me tell you something no one will tell you...the big gas engines on the Sea Ray...guess what? The starboard engine is the exact same set up as the port engine. What does that mean? It means the port engine fuel pump and oil filter are on the narrow catwalk between the two engines. Where they should be for maintenance access. Guess where the starboard engines fuel pump and oil filter are? Yup, can't get to them unless you are a gymnast. A very small gymnast is even better.

Second thing....many people are telling it to you about gas consumption. Let me tell you even more boldly. It will be rape without lubrication. I am telling you straight up...and I hope you are hearing me...the gas bill will eat you alive.

The reason the Sea Rays are a bargain buy? Because people love the interior of these boats ...and I acknowledge they are appealing...but without any idea about what they are buying. From Napa marina to San Francisco is a three hours by boat. His Sea Ray is in the mid forty foot range. He let his son borrow it. So, when the son got back out came the credit card for fuel. That cost him over 400 dollars in fuel. Freaking surreal. This is why the boats are being so heavily discounted plus the engineering for the motors is straight up stupid. How much work for engineering to get everything that needs to be maintained in the accessible positions?

Think about a decent sailboat or a trawler. Forget planning hulls..

Thanks for the advise, we are shifting directions based on everyones comments.
Old 11-08-2017, 18:12   #28

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Great plans. I would start off with a Grand Banks 32 for a year and then look at going larger with a bigger Grand Banks.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:42   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

With decades of liveaboard and cruising experience between Lake Superior and Antigua and having done around 4,700 surveys I can tell you to search for an orphan displacemen hull for full time cruising / liveaboard.

In thousands of surveys, the only boats that have ever impressed me are carefully home built vessels by obsessed maniacs. Go into yachtworld.com advanced search and look for the "orphan" boats that have no brand ID. Whether Grand Banks or Krogen or Selene or Nordhavn there are significant issues. The only boats that have ever impressed me are one-offs built by fanatical perfectionists. Search them out, I have owned three such boats, they are out there.
Old 11-08-2017, 18:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
With decades of liveaboard and cruising experience between Lake Superior and Antigua and having done around 4,700 surveys I can tell you to search for an orphan displacemen hull for full time cruising / liveaboard.

In thousands of surveys, the only boats that have ever impressed me are carefully home built vessels by obsessed maniacs. Go into yachtworld.com advanced search and look for the "orphan" boats that have no brand ID. Whether Grand Banks or Krogen or Selene or Nordhavn there are significant issues. The only boats that have ever impressed me are one-offs built by fanatical perfectionists. Search them out, I have owned three such boats, they are out there.

Thank you for the suggestion, we will take a look as recommended.